Hussein executed - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Iraqis attend viewing at Saddam's grave

By STEVEN R. HURST, Associated Press Writer

Thousands of Iraqis flocked to Saddam Hussein's hometown of Ouja on Sunday, where the deposed leader was buried in a religious compound 24 hours after his execution.

Dozens of relatives and other mourners, some of them crying and moaning, attended the interment shortly before dawn near Tikrit, 80 miles north of Baghdad. A few knelt before his flag-draped grave. A large framed photograph of Saddam was propped up on a chair nearby.

"I condemn the way he was executed and I consider it a crime," said 45-year-old Salam Hassan al-Nasseri, one of Saddam's clansmen who attended the interment.

Mohammed Natiq, a 24-year-old college student, said "the path of Arab nationalism must inevitably be paved with blood."

"God has decided that Saddam Hussein should have such an end, but his march and the course which he followed will not end," Natiq said.

Police on Saturday blocked the entrances to Tikrit and said nobody was allowed to leave or enter the city for four days. Despite the security precaution, gunmen took to the streets, carrying pictures of Saddam, shooting into the air and calling for vengeance.

Saddam was captured in an underground hide-out near Ouja on Dec. 13, 2003, eight months after he fled Baghdad ahead of advancing American troops.

His burial place is about 2 miles from the graves of his sons, Odai and Qusai, in the main town cemetery. The sons and a grandson were killed in a gunbattle with the American forces in Mosul in July 2003.

On Saturday, Iraqis awoke to television images of a noose being slipped over Saddam's neck and his white-shrouded body, the pre-dawn work of black-hooded hangmen. They went to bed as new video emerged showing Saddam exchanging taunts with onlookers before the gallows floor dropped away and the former dictator swung from the rope.

In Baghdad's Shiite neighborhood of Sadr City on Saturday, victims of his three decades of autocratic rule took to the streets to celebrate, dancing, beating drums and hanging Saddam in effigy. Celebratory gunfire erupted across other Shiite neighborhoods in Baghdad and other predominantly Shiite regions of the country.

There was no sign of a feared Sunni uprising in retaliation for the execution, and the bloodshed from civil warfare on Saturday was not far off the daily average — 92 from bombings and death squads.

Outside the Sunni insurgent stronghold of Ramadi, west of the capital, loyalists marched with Saddam pictures and waved Iraqi flags. Defying curfews, hundreds took to the streets vowing revenge in Samarra, north of Baghdad.

Still, authorities imposed curfews sparingly in contrast to the several-day lockdown put in place after Saddam was sentenced to death Nov. 5.

By several accounts, Saddam was calm but scornful of his captors, engaging in a give-and-take with the crowd gathered to watch him die and insisting he was Iraq's savior, not its tyrant and scourge.

"He said we are going to heaven and our enemies will rot in hell and he also called for forgiveness and love among Iraqis but also stressed that the Iraqis should fight the Americans and the Persians," Munir Haddad, an appeals court judge who witnessed the hanging, told the British Broadcasting Corp.

Another witness, national security adviser Mowaffak al-Rubaie, told The New York Times that one of the guards shouted at Saddam: "You have destroyed us. You have killed us. You have made us live in destitution."

"I have saved you from destitution and misery and destroyed your enemies, the Persian and Americans," Saddam responded, al-Rubaie told the Times.

"God damn you," the guard said.

"God damn you," responded Saddam.

New video, first broadcast by Al-Jazeera satellite television early Sunday, had sound of someone in the group praising the founder of the Shiite Dawa Party, who was executed in 1980 along with his sister by Saddam.

Saddam appeared to smile at those taunting him from below the gallows. He said they were not showing manhood.

Then Saddam began reciting the "Shahada," a Muslim prayer that says there is no god but God and Muhammad is his messenger, according to an unabridged copy of the same tape, apparently shot with a camera phone and posted on a Web site. Saddam made it to midway through his second recitation of the verse. His last word was Muhammad.

The floor dropped out of the gallows.

"The tyrant has fallen," someone in the group of onlookers shouted. The video showed a close-up of Saddam's face as he swung from the rope.

Then came another voice: "Let him swing for three minutes."

The responses within Iraq to Saddam's death echoed the larger reaction across the Middle East, with his enemies rejoicing and his defenders proclaiming him a martyr.

While Iranians and Kuwaitis welcomed the death of the leader who led wars against each of their countries, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said the execution prevented exposure of the secrets and crimes the former dictator committed during his brutal rule.

Some Arab governments denounced the timing the 69-year-old former president's hanging just before the start of the most important holiday of the Islamic calendar, Eid al-Adha. Libya announced a three-day official mourning period and canceled all celebrations for Eid.

Haider Hamed, a 34-year-old candy store owner in east Baghdad, wondered what would really change after Saddam's execution.

"He's gone, but our problems continue," said the Shiite Muslim, whose uncle was killed in one of Saddam's many brutal purges. "We brought problems on ourselves after Saddam because we began fighting Shiite on Sunni and Sunni on Shiite."

At least 80 Iraqis died in bombings and other attacks Saturday, and police said 12 more tortured bodies were found dumped in Baghdad. The U.S. military announced six more service members were killed — three soldiers and three Marines.

The execution took place on the penultimate day of the year's deadliest month for U.S. troops, with the toll reaching 109. At least 2,998 members of the U.S. military have died in Iraq since the war began in March 2003, according to an AP count.

Among minority Sunnis there was deep anger, born not only of Saddam's execution but of the loss of their decades-long political and economic dominance that began with Saddam's ouster in the U.S. invasion nearly four years ago.

"The president, the leader, Saddam Hussein is a martyr and God will put him along with other martyrs," said Yahya al-Attawi, who led prayer at a towering Sunni mosque constructed by Saddam in Tikrit.

There were cheers at the cafeteria of a U.S. outpost in Baghdad as soldiers having breakfast learned Saddam had been hanged.

But members of the Army's 2nd Battalion, 17th Field Artillery Regiment, on patrol in an overwhelmingly Shiite neighborhood in eastern Baghdad, said the execution wouldn't get them home any faster — and therefore didn't make much difference.

"Nothing really changes," said Capt. Dave Eastburn, 30. "The militias run everything now, not Saddam."

Staff Sgt. David Earp, who also fought in 1991's Operation Desert Storm, said the execution worried him.

"In my opinion, something big is going to happen," said Earp, of Colorado. "There will be a response. Probably not today because they know we are looking for one, but soon."

Ellie

THIS is why, BTW, the graves of Nazi's we executed in Nuremburg were unmarked and kept hidden. We were smart enough, and unconcerned with PC crap, to realize those places become monuments for martyrs.

I don't believe his body should have been desecrated, as that give ammo to these people; however, I think he should have been cremated, and his ashes dropped over Tikrit, or some other place. It's 'respectful' to a degree he himself never would have been, but at the same time, eliminates a place for the local worshippers to congregate.

Now, you don't suppose the media is 'liberal' do ya? This is from the Washington Post "News alert" I get:

"Former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein, who rose from humble beginnings to build the Arab world's most ruthless dictatorship but whose fall unleashed a turbulent era for his nation and the world, was executed early Saturday morning in Baghdad, according to Iraqi state television. "

This makes it sound like he was some kinda civic leader or great statesman!

Wonder if they would have done the same thing for Hitler?

"Rising from humble beginnings as a small time artist and former enlisted soldier of the Great War....."

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    Now, you don't suppose the media is 'liberal' do ya? This is from the Washington Post "News alert" I get:

"Former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein, who rose from humble beginnings to build the Arab world's most ruthless dictatorship but whose fall unleashed a turbulent era for his nation and the world, was executed early Saturday morning in Baghdad, according to Iraqi state television. "

This makes it sound like he was some kinda civic leader or great statesman!

Wonder if they would have done the same thing for Hitler?

"Rising from humble beginnings as a small time artist and former enlisted soldier of the Great War....."
    I think that statement by the Washington Post was fair and objective.

Of COURSE you would!!! LOL

Now feed him to the pigs in front of the raghead world.

Credits
    Savings

Smile Addendum

Quote Originally Posted by 10thzodiac
    Execution of a man by hanging... This produces a simultaneous ejaculation at the exact moment of the final death convulsion.

“Therese, it’s the rope that’s waiting for me: ‘tis the same delight I am pleased to have women savor: that’s the one will serve as my undoing; I am as firmly persuaded as I can possibly be that this death is infinitely sweeter than cruel.” ~ Mine execution

So, if ever given a choice between a hanging or a firing squad, go for the hanging

SF
    10thz
    Saddam came when he went, what a way to go !

Next thing to dieing in bed while getting some.

Of COURSE you would!!! LOL

I don't see what's wrong with that statement.

The following is a transcription of an audio recording made by a cell phone during Saddam's hanging. It appears to be Saddam comforting himself by singing. We all know he was downright silly for Southern old-timey songs.

Absolutely right, Sgt. Leprechaun,

I think I was following a bit of emotion when I posted. When I posted I was thinking of our former Seals hanging from bridges.....(but I guess that was ironed out with the battle for Fallujah .)

I agree that desecration should not be an option and agree even more so that a "rallying place" is less of an option. Thanks for clarifying my thinking with your post.....

THIS is why, BTW, the graves of Nazi's we executed in Nuremburg were unmarked and kept hidden. We were smart enough, and unconcerned with PC crap, to realize those places become monuments for martyrs.

I don't believe his body should have been desecrated, as that give ammo to these people; however, I think he should have been cremated, and his ashes dropped over Tikrit, or some other place. It's 'respectful' to a degree he himself never would have been, but at the same time, eliminates a place for the local worshippers to congregate.

No worries. I feel the same way you do, believe me. But...no sense in giving the SOB's yet another 'martyr', ya know?

SuN, the bias evident in that Washington Post bit jumps right out at me. God forbid they be 'judgemental', right? Except...that they are, when it comes to all sorts of other things.

NEWSFLASH!!! Saddam sends back report regarding his 'virgins.'
    Banner Headline reads, "IT'S A TRICK!!!"
    The text reads........., "Yes, it is a trick. There are NOT 72 virgins! There are virgins...but they are 72 yrs. old! They are all like identical twins! 72 yrs. old, 200 lbs. overwieght, grayish colored wrinkly skin, balding. Their breasts hang down to their waists. They are nearly blind, and all are hard of hearing. They have bad breath and very few teeth. They constantly whine and complain, and their libido measures 'zero.' Other than that...they're great!

drumcorpssnare

Ding Dong! The Witch is dead. Which old Witch? The Wicked Witch!
    Ding Dong! The Wicked Witch is dead.
    Wake up - sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed.
    Wake up, the Wicked Witch is dead. She's gone where the goblins go,
    Below - below - below. Yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out.
    Ding Dong' the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low.
    Let them know
    The Wicked Witch is dead!

Ah! There is great joy in the Emerald City and throughout the land of OZ this New Year, the wicked witch of the east has finally been hung out to dry. The Wizard and all of the residents of the Emerald City are toasting each other and riding their horses of a different color to the far corners of the metropolis, even the good witch of the north has cause to celebrate, for it is to her the wizard will pass the torch of benevolence. She will save the munchkins from themselves. On the other hand, the Winkies (residents of the east), although freed of the evil witch’s grasp are still under the shadow of the former tyrants rule (they have always had, and needed, Draconian leaders).

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINWILLIAM
    Ding Dong! The Witch is dead. Which old Witch? The Wicked Witch!
    Ding Dong! The Wicked Witch is dead.
    Wake up - sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed.
    Wake up, the Wicked Witch is dead. She's gone where the goblins go,
    Below - below - below. Yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out.
    Ding Dong' the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low.
    Let them know
    The Wicked Witch is dead!

Ah! There is great joy in the Emerald City and throughout the land of OZ this New Year, the wicked witch of the east has finally been hung out to dry. The Wizard and all of the residents of the Emerald City are toasting each other and riding their horses of a different color to the far corners of the metropolis, even the good witch of the north has cause to celebrate, for it is to her the wizard will pass the torch of benevolence. She will save the munchkins from themselves. On the other hand, the Winkies (residents of the east), although freed of the evil witch’s grasp are still under the shadow of the former tyrants rule (they have always had, and needed, Draconian leaders).

Semper Fi
    I feel no joy seeing Saddam hang.

sure he's a villain but he's done nothing to America.

Osama Bin Laden on the other hand needs to die a slow and painful death. And this is the first time I've wished that on another person.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Oddly I felt no joy over saddams' execution either. What I felt was relief; relief that he would no longer be a hope and rallying point for the baath party or sunni muslims. Saying he did no harm to America is like saying "I've never been bitten by a rattlesnake". Given the chance saddam would have done all in his power to harm us. You cannot defeat an enemy like him and continue to let them rule. He should have been taken out the first time around, thus saving everyone a lot of trouble. Leaving him where he was at, with the vast resouces available to him, was an invitation to disaster. Fortunately he couldn't keep his head down, bide his time, and strike us when we weren't looking. He was too arrogant for that and we should be thankful for small favors. With his death, along with his psycho sons, the world is a little (very little) better off. And, hopefully, this is one more major step in our bringing Iraq to self sufficiency and getting our troops back home.

Thread Information