Why did you join the Marines?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Why did you join the Marines?

Just would like to see why everyone joined. If the moderators allow it, I wouldn't mind to see a poolee post in this thread either.

I joined the Marines because I believed in America. I believed greatly that most of our military interventions, though self-serving to a certain degree, were also righteous, just and for the greater good of mankind.

I joined because I believed it would afford me an opportunity to make a difference and improve someone's life in the event that I was deployed.

I believe the character of "Sergeant Eversmann" in the movie "Black Hawk Down" is very similar to me.

What about you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by SuNmAN
    I joined the Marines because I believed in America. I believed greatly that most of our military interventions, though self-serving to a certain degree, were also righteous, just and for the greater good of mankind.

I joined because I believed it would afford me an opportunity to make a difference and improve someone's life in the event that I was deployed.

What about you guys?
    -In addition to that, because I believe every person is entitled to serve their country both in and out of its time of war.

-Because the Marines, fight first, fight hardest.

-Because the Marines do more for the country out of war, with relief aid and services like Toys for Tots.

-The Marines ARE what everyone should want to be like.

-Every generation from my great great grandfather to myself has had their father take them to the recruiting strip with the Army, Air Force, Coast Guard, Marines, and Navy recruiting offices, where they got told.. " Pick one", everyone picked Marines.

- And because after I made my choice, someone told me I couldn't make it.

I don't know why, just did.
    But I do remember the final time I took the ASVAB in high school.
    All the branches' recruiters were there and the Marine stood out.
    It was more than just the dress blues he was wearing wearing.
    It was his bearing and professionalism. He had an air of superiority, and made the other recruiters look like slobs.
    That stayed in my mind so when the recruiter made their rounds and got to me, it was the Marine that I identified with.
    Dang, I just now realized I fell for the good 'ol Marine Corps marketing.
    Man, I'm a sucker.

I remember when I was a Junior in High School...it was 2002

This gorgeous girl came to my locker and said: "wanna come take the ASVAB with me? We can skip Physics together !"

At the time the military was completely out of my mind...I only thought of college

and plus we kinda had a thing for eachother

so I went along

I score a 96

She scored a 74

lol

then 2 years later she went to the University of Illinois and I went to boot camp...and a year after that I joined her at the University of Illinois

Credits
    Savings

Talking

Seeing too many war movies, dress blues, teenage crush gone bust, father died when I was fourteen, to much testosterone, bad grades and plain ****** stupid.

SF
    10thz

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    by 10thzodiac - to much testosterone, bad grades and plain ****** stupid.
    Congratulations brother after all these years nothings changed.

Jim

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I LOVE TOO **** ALOT;AND THE MARINES WERE GETTING ALL THE PUSS!!!SEMPER~FIDELIS

It is hard for me to pin down. I know that when I saw Full Metal Jacket with my dad (on opening day no less) that it had an impact on me. My mom said she always knew I would end up enlisting in the Marines. I was fiercely patriotic and always had to be the best and win at everything. When I was 11 or 12 I guess I got into an argument with my dad and told him that he was too chicken to serve his country so his opinion didn't matter to me. (Note, my parents were divorced and I only saw my dad two or three times a year.) I guess I was just born wanting to be a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by FISTFU68
    I LOVE TOO **** ALOT;AND THE MARINES WERE GETTING ALL THE PUSS!!!SEMPER~FIDELIS

I know some UGLY ass Marines who couldn't get any puss if it slapped them in the face

girls don't really care. It's a conversation starter and nothing more.

Girls won't even care if you're a Navy SEAL

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    SONNY~BOY,THAT WOULDN'T BE THAT UGLY LITTLE GUY;YOU WERE KISSING IN THAT PIX? I KNOW HE AIN'T A (SEAL)!!! HAPPY~NEW YEAR!

Credits
    Savings

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by jinelson
    Congratulations brother after all these years nothings changed.

Jim
    Like Schickelgruber, attacking Russia was a good idea at the time too

SF
    10thz

I was born in 1946, the sixth of six kids, and there is an eleven year gap between #5 & 6. So, technically speaking, "I'm an accidental discharge".

Two of my three older brothers are Marines. One was only in for only a year ('49-50) and got out on an early out program just before Korea started up. The other was in for twelve years ('53-65) and finished up his twenty in the Air Force (go figure).

WW II ended in '45 and Korea started in '50, so almost all American families had someone that had been in or was in the millitary, and in the war (past or present).

I can't remember my oldest Marine brother being in the Corps, I was too young. But, my other Marine brother (#5) went to PISC for boot camp in the summer of '53 (between my first and second grade in school). I remember him coming home on boot camp leave, and he was truly my hero. I was about seven.

There was a spirit of patriotism in our country (Post WW II) and Americans loved America, and we had just successfully defended her existance against Nazism and Imperialism.

The Marine Corps was the epitomy of America's fighting man.

I watched all the war movies and especially the one's about the Corps. I actually wanted to be a Marine since is was seven years old.

I quit school in the eleventh grade and got parental consent to join the Corps. I was seventeen on 2 OCT 63, was sworn in on 3 OCT, and was being chocked by a big black SSGT at Recruit Receiving on 5 OCT, welcoming me to his Corps.

The rest is history.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Why join the Marines? I'd guess family tradition would be the best lame excuse I have.

My father was a Marine (6th Marines Scout/Sniper @ Saipan/Tinian), his maternal uncle was a Marine (Captain, dive bomber pilot, KIA, Guadalcanal), paternal Grandfather (WWI, no combat).

Besides me (Vietnam) one of my younger brothers also served in the Corps (post-Vietnam) at MCLB Barstow and played softball for the West Coast team.

I have no regrets, glad I did it. Earned the t-shirt and got bragging rights.

Quote Originally Posted by FISTFU68
    SONNY~BOY,THAT WOULDN'T BE THAT UGLY LITTLE GUY;YOU WERE KISSING IN THAT PIX? I KNOW HE AIN'T A (SEAL)!!! HAPPY~NEW YEAR!

lol thats one of my buddies on the golf team here at the university of Illinois

don't worry I only like women lol

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The1stSgt
    I was born in 1946, the sixth of six kids, and there is an eleven year gap between #5 & 6. So, technically speaking, "I'm an accidental discharge".

Eight years between my next sibling and myself-once remarked to my mother about being an "unplanned" dividend. She replied "what makes you think we planned ANY of them?"

Thread Information