Why the Marines?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member

Why the Marines?

I found this. And it's one man's answer.

If you're lucky, maybe I'LL answer it one day.

I enlisted in the US Air Force right out of high school. Boot camp (if you want to call it that) was a breeze. I ended up being stationed in the Philippines for my first two years and had a great time. (boy, did I ever!!!!!!) Deployed to Saudi Arabia with our squadron of F-4E's in support of Operation Desert Storm. (interesting experience...living in an apartment and watching the war on CNN) After the conflict I spent my last 2 years stationed in California. In all, life in the Air Force was great, and yes we were spoiled. I left the Air Force after 4 years with a lot of wonderful memories of exotic places visited and great friends made. However, something was missing, something I could not place...

I then went into the United States Army Reserves as a
    helicopter Mechanic. I spent 4 years with my unit, never went
    anywhere, and never really figured out my rank because everyone
    just called me Steve. No real challenge there and still,
    I felt something was missing...

Finally, on Mar 8, 1996 at around 2am I found myself standing
    on those famous yellow footprints at MCRD San Diego. I had found what I had been missing all those years. I found a challenge, a sense of pride, a feeling of belonging, and the knowledge that I had accomplished something many had dreamed of but few had done...becoming a United States Marine!!!

Ok, so the Corps made my go to boot camp again, make me start all over as an E-3 (it was hard explaining why I was a LCpl with a chest full of ribbons and two service stripes), and gave me a "funny haircut". I got over all that and soon began to enjoy my place in the Marine Corps "family". I remember the feeling that shot through my body the first time I was addressed as "Marine". I remember the pride I felt the first time someone on the street said, "hey look, a Marine!" I remember the first time I put on my dress blues and felt I was part of a legacy.

That was nearly 7 years ago but I can tell you that I was
    in Plt 1101, 1st BTN, Charlie Co and that my SDI's was SSGT Rice.
    I can still recite my 11 General Orders. I can tell you the exact
    date and time I became a "Shellback" aboard the USS Belleau Wood (LHA 3). I can still fire expert on the rifle range almost in
    my sleep. As for my time in the Air Force, I can tell you that
    I went to boot camp in San Antonio, Tx. As for the name of my TI
    (that's DI to us...), I haven't the foggiest. I can remember
    many friends from the Air Force and Army, but NOT ONE last name!!!!

I have respect for all branches of our fine military but
    I'm truly proud to say that I am a Marine. God bless the Corps
    and all my brothers and sisters in harms way. Semper Fi!!!!

Sgt Steve Chargois 1996-2000 (active)
    2000-Present (reserves)

OH... and by the way... I still wear that funny haircut

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My fiance just graduated from MCRDSD Charlie Company... his platoon was 1139 and his Senior was SSGT Story. There is no point to this response other than the 'cool' factor of recognizing the company and BN.

and the haircuts are awesome!

We had a Army SGT join us in bootcamp. His comment---how can they treat you like this! Went AWOL, over the fence, out of there three times. Never saw him again.

The Few, The Proud, The Marines!

Why the Marine Corps? Why ****in' not!

I only needed one reason when I joined.

Because we're the best.

Registered User Free Member Soon2BkidTx's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Yea....thats true....Marines are the best.....Thats why im about to go to MCRDSD within the next month. I was suppose to leave today but my SSGT's wifes dad passed away and he is out of state and can not sign me off....but its all good....i understand....god bless him and all the Marines....Hopefully soon ill have the treasurier of being called a Marine.....and wrbones.....thats exactly why i joined also!

Registered User Free Member Barndog's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    25 years later.......

I still got that funny haircut called a 'high and tight'. And I still take a shower in under 2 minutes.

OOHHHHH RAHHHHHH

Semper Fidelis

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Cool

Marines are the best in the World, as far as I'm concerned. They are the first to respond to their country's needs, no matter what the danger. King Kong aint got nothing on the Corps! Marine recon is the best! Their aviators are the best! Hell, even their uniforms are the best! God Bless The Corps!!! Semper Fidelis

Cadet Sgt. Alexander Haile

Credits
    Savings
    I only wish that one day, I too, will have the honor of standing on those yellow footprints in San Diego/ Paris Island. The honor of accepting that Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. The honor of serving my country, no matter what the danger, or price.

Cadet Sgt. Alexander Haile

Cool THE BEST.......

It is not the uniform, not the equipement, etc that makes us the Best. It is the Men and Women who become True United States Marines because it is in their Hearts and Souls. They will be Marines forever as they who have gone before us live in us.

The Drifter

Credits
    Savings

Exclamation

I have a friend who is going to enlist with me soon. He is a real great guy, and is enlisting for all the right reasons. But, we have another friend (more like an annoyance to me) who has decided to join the Air Force. I'm not trying to bust the USAF's chops here. Being in the USAF is fine! But it's his reason that bothers me... I asked him why he wanted to enlist in the USAF. His answer was "Because it's the easiest! DUH!?!" That really annoyed the crap out of me!!! Joining the USAF beacuse it's easy! He also went as far to say he wanted the USAF because they slept in buildings during missions, not tents! "Who cares were they sleep!" I said. "Don't you want to be challenged?" He of course said no. He said he'd had enough challenge in High School. That's rediculous!!! Also, guess what... this guy, who doesn't want to sleep in a tent... He's an Eagle Scout! I thought Eagle Scouts loved tents??? Soon I accepted his decision. After all, it was his to make. I asked when he was going to enlist. Then he really ****ed me off!!! "I'm going to be an officer, cause enlisted personel are dumb." That was the last straw!!! I had never heard someone as disrespectfull as him in all my life!!! He had the balls to say to my face that enlisted personel were Dumb! My father was a Chief in the Navy! (He knew that too.) My dad would have broken his neck if he were there. I, on the otherhand, settled for a right hook to the ear. After he was done crying over his red, pulsating ear, I looked him in the eye and said... "People like you are only alive because it's illegal to kill them. You'd better get your #@$# together before you join the Air Force, or any Service, cause when you get there your men will hate you if you act like this. Enlisted servicemen are the strong base and backbone of any service. Without them, officers would have no one to lead. Leading enlisted men to battle, no matter the service, is not a burden, it's an honor!" After that I think his Girlfriend dumpted him, we stopped inviting him to our parties, and my father has been asking me for his name and address ever since. I would'nt give it to him. No telling what my father would do to him...

Keeping the respect alive... Cadet Sgt. Alexander Haile

Semper fidelis, Marines. E pluribus unum to all...

You are a dumb ****! Assault and battery before ya go to boot! OK. Fine. Have a little fun.

But then admit it on an open forum on the internet!

Talk about too stupid to live!

By postin' that you just proved his point ya dipstick.

Ya might want to wake up. Coffee's on. I ain't gettin' it for ya. Grab yer own cup.

Credits
    Savings
    I'm willing to take the risk. I can stand up for my own actions.

Do you walk on your brains..........You just admitted to assualt and battery to complete strangers.........Did you tell your Recruiter what you did........You don't go around hitting people because you don't like what they say.....You going to do that to your DI when he calls you some choice names........You have to think before you leap........By your rash actions you could cause the lives of your fellow Marines besides your own........

The Drifter

Credits
    Savings
    I would never do the same to a DI, or any serviceman. DI's are there to help and train. Sure they use some "Choice names" here and there, but its all constructive critcism in a way. Those DI's and others service men you speak of, sir, are good men, who know that which my Ex-friend didn't. He was a dishonorable and disrespectable person. I would've had him swing first, to clear my name, if i wasn't so PO'ed. Besides, its been a year since then. He cant sue me or anything. Who's going to be his witness? No one i know! Also, my actions in this matter in no way reflect how i would act with future service men. I would never act so quickly in a situation that may have consiquences that would affect my comrades. That swing was for my father, and other enlisted friends of mine and his. Also for the officers who know better. What would you have done in my place, sir???

Registered User Free Member ktriplett's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    1. DI = Drill Instructor. Give them the respect they deserve, you haven't passed them yet.
    2. thedrifter is Staff Sergeant, not sir. As one of my recruiters would say, he works for a living.
    3. ALWAYS make sure he swings first. Especially when you're ****ed. It's staying in control when under fire that will help you, not giving in to high emotion.
    4. he may not be able to sue you, but if he wants to make your life difficult, he can report it. Any kind of police activity will make your life and joining the Marines difficult.

Thread Information