Replacement for the M-16?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Replacement for the M-16?

http://www.*************/soldiertech..._M468,,00.html

Made by the same company that produces the .50 cal. sniper rifle. It's probably too simple and elegant an idea for the DOD "experts" to approve, but Barrett's idea makes sense.
    Keeps the good points of the M-16 and improves on it, starting with a 6.8 mm round.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Kent,

You need to fix that URL. Evidently the dirty word checker didn't like a big part of it.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SuNmAN
    OICW has largely been a failure in terms of achieving the specific program goals (e.g. replacing the M16) and has cost millions of dollars.

On October 31, 2005, the OICW I program was cancelled.

SF
    10thz

ok...whats the new weapon then?

Credits
    Savings
    "As you know, you have to go to war with the Army you have, not the Army you want," Rumsfeld said.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thzodiac
    "As you know, you have to go to war with the Army you have, not the Army you want," Rumsfeld said.
    sweet quote from our EXSecretary of Defense

thankfully he's an ex, I hope the new one can do better.

Credits
    Savings
    The more things change the more they remain the same, to kill the tail you have to cut off the head.

10th----somebody kills your tail might as well cut the head off too.

Credits
    Savings
    That's how they did RFK/USAG (e.g. the tail)

While I can't hit the url from work, I can say that the underpowered 5.56 has been a disaster from almost day one. We need something in the .30 caliber range as a rifle, and the .45 as a pistol. The 9mm is a crap cartridge as well, even in the hollowpoint version. Remember, the .45 was INVENTED to replace the .38 revolver, which was found to be underpowered against charging Moro (Muslim) warriors in the Phillippines. Then, what do we do? In 1985, we replace a good, simple weapon with the POS Berretta 9mm.

This is one BADASS rifle an I wonder why on earth it ever lost a bid. I am buying one soon. you got to hold one in your hands to know what I mean. Its the ultimate AK/M16 marrige, and 6.8SPC amunition is the way to go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinson_Arms_XCR

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    THERE HAVE BEEN MORE BAD GUY'S SNUFFED,BY THE 5.56 RND. THAT YOU CAN IMAGINE!WHY DO YOU THINK,THE RUSSIAN'S & THE CHINA MAN;WENT THAT WAY?AFTER ALL WHAT IS A HUMAN BUT A MERE TWO LEGGED VARMIT!AFTER WE HANDED OVER OUR M-14'S,IN THE BUSH TOO THE AR-15;OUR BODY COUNT DOUBLED!WE WERE A RIFLE CO.THAT TOOK OUR MISSION'S DEAD SERIOUS,ENOUGH SO TO EARN TWO PUC'S IN LESS THAN A YEAR!!! WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT KILLING,ENLIGHTEN ME???

FIST, are you directing the 'killin' comment to me or Sun? LOL...

I've done what I had to do killin wise. Nuff said.

I do know, tho, from personal and unpleasant experience, that underpowered handguns are just about worthless in an up close and personal 'encounter'. I'd prefer to arm myself with something that has "1 round" knockdown power, such as the .45 or some such.

Interesting that you are one of the few Marines I've heard with something good to say about the AR-15/M-16. I assume you never had an issue with stoppages or jams in the 'bush'? I'm just curious, since I've heard so much about that particular issue.

BTW, I have zero 'trigger' time in the USMC. All mine comes from Law Enforcement.

Delete please

Last edited by SkilletsUSMC; 12-25-06 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Pictures now showing, this post is now a Dupe.

Thread Information