Eyesight/Surgery
Create Post

Unhappy Eyesight/Surgery

Hello all,

I just went to get an eye check-up yesturday and got some more up to date info. on my eyes. I have very bad eyes w/o glasses/contacts but with I can see 20/25 in both eyes. The doctor said they can probably get me to 20/20 or better with this lens implant surgery. I asked him about Lasik or PRK and he said that my cornea is too thin. I have been wanting to go into the Marine Corps since I can remember and have been training and doing Sea Cadets for a couple years to help promote in rank. I asked my doc. if he thinks I have a chance of getting in (Fromer Eye doctor for the Navy that worked at PI for the recruits in the 80's and 90s) and he said that I probably have a chance but just try to shoot high on the asvab just in case. My question is this. Does any Marine or Poolee on this forum have any experience with terrible vision and was able to get in? and, Should I be worried and just continue to keep my hopes up and train? This is really my dream and as I am coming up on 17 in a few months I really want to know.

Thanks a lot,
    Jesse

I have poor eyesite, it cannot be corrected by laser surgery. They gave me glasses, it wasn't a big deal.

Really? Were your diopters very high as well (Please dont mind me asking)? Because mine are very high on the negative side. Will they let you get in if you have 20/25 corrected with glasses or is it an automatic DQ? I understand I should go to MEPs, but that is not happening until im 17 (in 3 months). Thanks for the quick reply btw Echo Four Bravo.

Jesse

I am blind as a bat without glasses and I served for 8 years. As long as your vision can be corrected to an acceptable level you will have no problems...

Haha thanks a lot everyone, makes me feel a little better, I will feel 100% better once they let me swear in.

Jesse

I don't have my Rx in front of me, but it isn't pretty. Let's put it this way, I didn't get my BCs until about 5 weeks into boot camp, because they had to send them off to the hospital to be made. They weren't prepared for me at MCRD. Nobody ever even thought of telling me I couldn't serve.

Damn. So did you get to go around wearing your civie goggles for the first 5 weeks? ha. hanks for the info. it helps.

Jesse

I had 20/200 uncorrected when I enlisted in '82, and no one said a word.

When I re-enlisted, AD, in 97, it was 20/675!!!! Blind as an absolute bat...but the contact lens' I wore corrected to 20/20. Again, nobody seemed to have issues.

I got Lasik'd in 00...smartest move I ever made. However, be forewarned, if you are looking to do aircrew or anything involving flying, Lasik is a 'nogo'. Stupid, but true.

You had 20/675? I have very bad vision to, but I'm not qualified for Lasik. My doc said I can get this new Lens Implant surgery but I don't know if that will DQ me. Do you think if I get into a reserve unit they may let me do it on my own dime? If it is a permanent DQ then f/ck it, those goggles they give you are pretty stylish anyways. LOL.

Jesse

Yup. I wouldn't get any kind of surgery until you are already IN. Then look into it.

A good rule of thumb, if it is new, you aren't allowed to get it. The impact needs to be studied before they want the military people doing it.

Yes, they study it to absolute death. It'll be years before any of this new stuff is even considered for approval. IF then...

I know what your saying, but I just want to know....

Does anyone know how strict Meps is with eyesight? It doesnt make sense to me if when I get to MEPs they wont accept me, b/c I can see good enough with glasses (20/25) probably better with BCs? I dont qualify for Lasik or PRK so Ive heard so tahts anoteh bad thing, however I do for lens implants and my Optamologist assumes I will see 20/20 after. This procedure is also reversible if something does go wrong. Any info would help.

It doesnt makes sense to me why they wouldnt pass it.

(Sry if you answered this already, it was just a quick copy and paste from *************.

Oh, and sorry about some bad spelling, I was lazy and didnt look over, no excuse.

Attention to detail....

As long as your vision is corrected to 20/20 without other issues, you'll be fine.

Thread Information