She's Off to Boot Camp... - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Drill instructors do NOT read private mail.

As to privacy, you have little or none. You shower with the other 79 recruits in your platoon, you brush your teeth with them, etc., etc., etc. (Yes there are at least doors on the stalls), however you will NOT have any time alone by yourself. The purpose of boot camp is to instill TEAM spirit and a willingness to immediately respond to orders. Hiding in your room is not conducive to that kind of need.

Keep your letters short and to the point. She does NOT need to hear the damn details of her favorite TV show. What she needs to hear is how the world is doing while she is undergoing training. She needs to know you are still there and she needs to know that her family cares.

In reading your posts, and I might be wrong, you sound a lot more concerned than just a friend.

Well thank you for the information. Having not been to Boot Camp myself, I don't know what it's like
    It's nice to have the folks on here as references for information and encouragment.

She is a cross between my sister and my bestfriend. She means the world to me and I would do anything for her or to ensure her safety. I worry about her. But worrying is my nature. I know she'll be just fine. I'm sure it's easier for her being that she is kept busy and doesn't have time to worry, meanwhile I'm the one here at home with too much spare time.

Teamwork is a good thing.

It is good to know that Drill Instructors do not have access to the recruits private mail.

Well I am proud that you are going to support her she will need to draw from all and we will be pulling for her as we do all. Keep us up on how she is doing.
    I just hope that when she comes home after bootcamp that she do put a whopin on you

Thanks so much! Everyone who's answered my silly questions, due to my lack of knowledge regarding the Corps and Military has been great.

As for that 'whopin' I am very worried about that when I see her next. I am afraid I must start hitting the gym and get my butt in shape! I could overpower her before she left because I'm larger in size than she is, but we are the same height. I'm afraid I'm in trouble lol

I can't wait until March when I get to see her Graduate!

DG- Sounds like you have the tough job here

You said "But she's stubborn as hell and determined to be a United States Marine"....in my limited experience that will be enough!

You know her best, so do what you think is right. My only advice would be to keep your concerns to yourself until May 10th

Until then just let her know that things are okay with you and you are pulling for her...that should be enough.

And whatever you do....don't tell her Grey's Anatomy has been on rerun mode for two weeks

DG, when I was in Recruit Training, long ago LOL....my parents and grandparents always wrote me mulitple letters each week, and I loved getting them; they basically just kept me up to date on what was going on at home and on the farm...even sent me pics of the new tractor...BOY, was THAT a mistake....paid for that one a good long time....

Point I'm trying to make, is, don't write anything that will cause her to worry. Your job, at this point, is to provide support in any way possible, which is basically by writing good things and even just mindless chatter about 'back home'.

Your questions aren't silly, don't sweat it. That's what this forum is here for. Keep us all informed!

v/r

And as for the mood of the letters...trust me, watching out for her well being and making sure that her frame of mind is where she needs it to be, so that she can focus on doing what she needs to do so she can get through Boot Camp is my number one concern!

I've put out explicit threats to anyone who should dare to write something pessimistic lol

And sometimes I think that I have the rough job staying here at home... and then... ... lol I'm glad I'm not in her shoes Because I'd probably be standing in a puddle!
    [/B]

Last edited by thedrifter; 12-16-06 at 07:15 PM.

Just thought I would add my 2 cents on the Letters...

I LOVED getting lots of mail, still have them tucked away somewhere
    Free time is VERY limited, so I wouldn't suggest novels every day. From experience don't do this ... I got a letter saying someone in my family was pregnant, but they didn't say who till the next letter, that about drove me nuts!

Thread Information