Meade River 1968 - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Russ, I was just thinking about Meade River before I logged on. On this day in 68, we were up to our ass with NVA. We were tired, filthy, hungry, and under constant fire. 9 straight days of blood, death, and misery. It was called by the Corps .....the Iwo Jima of Viet Nam. We were all lucky to get out of their alive, brother.

Billy, I don't know if you remember but I once told you how I got screwed out of my R&R when they cancelled all R&R's because of Meade River. So there I was, laying on my belly for days, eating dirt and starving and freezing realizing that this time I was a goner for sure, all the while knowing that instead of being there I was supposed to be in Sydney hooked up with some beautiful round eyed girl.

But, I later realized that I was where I was supposed to be with my highly developed Marine Corps talents and all. I sure was glad when you all showed up, we sure gave them sum payback. By the way, don't feel sorry for me because I more than made up for lost time with the round eyes later on. Just saying.

Believe it or not, while I was writing they just played an old Box Top's song, ohhhhhh the memories.

Thanks for serving

My brother (Sgt Fred Nigh) was KIA just before Meade River kicked off -- just south of Da Nang -- Quang Nam. He was looking forward to finishing his time and getting an education. He was in 1/1 Alpha -- from everything I've read, 1968 was a difficult year for this company -- Khe Sanh, Hue City, Da Nang.

Thank you all for serving.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilN View Post
    My brother (Sgt Fred Nigh) was KIA just before Meade River kicked off -- just south of Da Nang -- Quang Nam. He was looking forward to finishing his time and getting an education. He was in 1/1 Alpha -- from everything I've read, 1968 was a difficult year for this company -- Khe Sanh, Hue City, Da Nang.

Thank you all for serving.
    S/F to your brother. Yes, 1/1 was at Hue with us, I was in the 1/5 at that time and I had just gotten in country. Be proud of your brother as he was in the thick of it. Sorry for your loss.

When I think of Nam....the first thing that always pops up, is Meade River. I could write a thousand page book, from just nine days. The Valor, Honor, and Loyalty I witnessed in those days, is beyond a normal persons ability to comprehend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    When I think of Nam....the first thing that always pops up, is Meade River. I could write a thousand page book, from just nine days. The Valor, Honor, and Loyalty I witnessed in those days, is beyond a normal persons ability to comprehend.
    So I am in your book after all. Thanks.

Russ, your name and deeds will appear in Chapter One, Brother.

Well gang, guess what time it is again. That's right, it's Meade River time again and we're still here. I once again salute my brothers Billy and Jack for saving my life as come this Monday or Tuesday back in 68 I was supposed to become dead. What a ride it's been, I'll tip a couple in yawls memory this evening my dear brothers.

Russ, just think brother.....50 years ago, on this day, we were full of pizz and vinegar and had on our war face. Who would have thought, that in just 10 days, the 3/5 would suffer 65% casualties and the 3/26 would suffer 50% casualties. As we moved from the Hook to the Northern bunker complex, fighting was so intense, that in many cases it became hand to hand combat. Jack and I would not make it to the Northern bunker complex, as we were both wounded at the Hook. I Salute all those Marines who gave it all and those who live to tell the story. The 3/26 was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for it's action. In 10 days the 3/26 was awarded 1 Medal of Honor, 2 Navy Crosses, 10 Silver Stars, 33 Bronze Stars with " V ", 64 Navy Commendation Medals with " V ", 84 Navy, Marine Corps Achievement Medals with " V ', The Navy Unit Citation Medal, and God only knows how many Purple Hearts. The 3/5 was so battle torn and combat depleted, it was deemed ineffective for further combat operations. It would take a long while for the 3/5 and the 3/26 to get back to combat ready. God Bless all those who died and all those who remember.....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It was that Young Marine with the Rifle that had too ferret those die hard Commies out and Kill them...Hell im a Lover Boy can’t believe I survived that Chit Love All Marine Brothers & Devil Docs I really Do Aye Aye Semper Fin

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Brothers ForeVer Semper Fidelis

Thank you 2 my forever brothers that went through that Shvt with me. We were truly life takers and heart breakers, at least for me. Just saying.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan (1010x1280).jpg
Views:	338
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	32083I think I'm a heart breaker ......

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Got your Ears on Gunny ? It’s gonna be a Grand Reunion someday Rest In Peace Semper Fi

I'm a couple of days late but once again it's Meade River time again, 50 years and I'm still here. I salute my brothers once again for what they went through and for saving my life.

Thread Information