Meade River 1968 - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    On this date in 1968 during Operation Meade River we encountered a place that was called the Hook, which was a compound of 250 reinforced bunkers. Most of y'all have never heard of it but it was a Hell of a place and even after 46 years bad memories ever since.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Russ, we were close enough to throw rocks at each other. The Hook was as close to hell as you'll ever get. Top Brass deemed it the Iwo Jima of Viet Nam. It was one hell of a fight. Something we'll never forget.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    We are History my Fellow Meade River Survivors I'm thankful 2 my Maker my fellow Marines oh & 2 that Airedale that Medivacted & Medicated my young butt when I find ya I'm gonna Kiss Ya lol Yup Godbless Ya Go Easy Semper Fi

Try to contact Jim Cava he was a Corpsman with India 3/5 and on that chopper. I was on the one right next to them and saw them get hit and go down. Last I heard Jim was a motivational speaker, google him by name or Operation Red White and Blue . com.

Good Luck.

Semper Fi
    Doc Connally

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thanks Doc I do remember it was a 34 old Korean War era Chopper GodBless Ya Go Easy Semper Fi

No we all went out on CH-46's. As I recall the 34's were only used as Medivac not primary troop transport. Only rode on a CH-53 and that was on the start of Operation Taylor Common right after Meade River. The prop wash from the main rotor on that bird blew my scrawny a$$ around like a Styrofoam peanut in a wind storm.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yes I flew in2 the Battle in a 46...India 3/26 3plt 3rd Sqd...Got snatched Up outta there By a 34 most Beautiful Bird I've Ever seen looked like A Green Angel

Bravo 1/5

we seem to always get left out. got my first Heart on Thanksgiving

Quote Originally Posted by dturnertoo View Post
    we seem to always get left out. got my first Heart on Thanksgiving
    Ha....well, Happy TG to you!
    I got mine (only) on 9/11/66....not good day for us.

Respect to all you Meade River participants.
    Vietnam was quite the picnic.

Carry on....

It's that time again my Meade River Brothers. Today is the day that we in the 3/5, while on a walk in the park, encountered that place that we so fondly came to know as the "Hook." For those not there simply imagine one moment you are OK and the next moment you stepped into Helll. The NJ battleship was pounding the ground, B52's, napalm runs from the F4's and all the artillery they could muster. I truly thought that I had finally met my end, and I hadn't even screwed all the women I was supposed to yet.

Billy and Jack from the 3/26 took 3 days to fight there way into us as we were soon to be goners. Together, reinforced we took that son of a ***** and killed a bunch of hard core gookers.

My brothers, Billy and Jack, are forever dear in my heart. Thank you again both of you for getting my young asss out of there.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Russ my brother, we couldn't leave the 5th Marines most famous gigolo behind. Never forget the ground shaking like hell from all the 16 in. shells from the New Jersey. Coupled with the B52's bombing. I think you'll had 70% causalities and we had 60%. But we took out a hell of a lot of NVA's. Jack and I was both wounded there. You was one lucky Marine, my brother. We were all lucky to still be breathing. So many of our brothers didn't make it.

Hello. I'm a FNG here as I just registered here because of OP Meade River. I was with Foxtrot Co. 2/26 from 5/68 thru 12/68, and involved in the whole OP. I have many memories of Vietnam and a few involving this OP. F/26 3rd MarDiv were all over the place while I was assigned with them, however it was after Khe Sahn. Started @DaNang>Quang-Tri, Dong-Ha, Rockpile, Gia Lihn, and Camp Carol. Then late summer early fall we went afloat. LPH5(USS Princeton) and LPH8(USS Okinawa) mostly, but I also recall the USS Debuque. We flew off up, up, and away and landed in a hot or cold LZ. Well flying then running around the jungle, beach, river, and ville areas was really something and heck we got a ride instead of having to hump everywhere. Anyway the "Afloat" thing had us mostly south of DaNang places like Hoi An and An Hoa. Big difference this area had all kinds of booby traps, unlike the area just under the DMZ. Many Marines were WIA and KIA by all these mines and traps. The DMZ area didn't have as many, but had a lot more "In-Coming" and NVA, and higher hills, not so much sloshing in the paddies. Well enough for now, I'll write some more later on. Hey, I use H&P Typing and am 66 yrs old, so not so fast. Salute to the Heroes of Vietnam War, including the WIA, POW, and KIA. Semper-Fi.

Hello. I remember we(F/2/26) got steak and potatoes flown in on the USMC Birthday. Nothing else but, but who cares it was hot and sure beat the hell out of C-Rats. Now I remember Thanksgiving 1968, and I thought the menu was steak and potatoes flown in as well, but I guess it could have been turkey. I ate the steak with my two-edged dagger with a bakelight handle. Ahhh... The memories. Semper-Fi.

Hotel company 27,the guys who came out to feed us, just slopped all the food on top of each other. But it was hot chow, they just wanted to get the hell out of there, and as fast as they could.
    Jersey.

It's Meade River time again gang, and somehow I'm still here. A special thanks to my brothers Mongoose and FistFu for coming to our rescue, to this day I still believe that I'm alive because of them. Anniversaries can be a *****, just wish I didn't have so many of them.

Thread Information