Pig and scribe
Create Post

Thread: Pig and scribe

Pig and scribe

In addition to squad leaders, I know of two other "positions" that recruits can volunteer for: Whiskey Pig and Scribe. From what I understand the Pig keeps the equipment locker squared away and the scribe is in charge of creating/maintaining the firewatch schedule. Could anyone fill me in on what else they do and whether or not you (or rather I) should volunteer for such a position. Thanks.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    LMAO! Your Drill Instructors will assign such positions, no volunteering about it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thats a fact do yourself a favor and do not volunteer for these positions or anything else. Ryan is your profile correct you ship monday? If so good luck to you I only wish that you could have found this site earlier.

Jim

I was the witch doctor, and that wasn't so bad. But, anything you do to raise your profile is less than ideal. If you can make it a few weeks without the DI knowing your name, you're doing your job.

Quote Originally Posted by jinelson
    Thats a fact do yourself a favor and do not volunteer for these positions or anything else. Ryan is your profile correct you ship monday? If so good luck to you I only wish that you could have found this site earlier.

Jim
    Yes, SSgt. that is correct. Actually, I found this site about a month ago and have been browsing anonymously through most of this website trying to glean as much info as I can.

As for the *not* vulunteering for anything, I was told by a Marine who recently graduated from MCRD SD that they would initially ask for volunteers based on what (if any) previous education/experience you had before. But yes, I am very aware that for most of 1st phase it would behoove me to "blend in" as much as possble. At any rate, thanks for the info.

I remember being the House Mouse until one day we had a visiting Drill Instructor come over to visit one our Drill Instructors and one of my duties was to pour coffee for him and I accidently spilled it on his trousers,needless to say I was no longer the House mouse. By the way the House mouse did odds and ends for the different Drill Instructors. This was back in 1969 at Parris Island.

Marine Free Member SgtHopperUSMC's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Everyone loved the "Chow Hound" "When He's Done Your Done!!"

Most of the time he was the skinny on a power trip.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtHopperUSMC
    Everyone loved the "Chow Hound" "When He's Done Your Done!!"

Most of the time he was the skinny on a power trip.

As in the skinniest recruit who had to gain weight?

Ha, that will definately NOT be me. My top heavy ass will be on the diet tray for the first couple weeks.

Couple of weeks? If you're a diet recruit, expect to stay that way. Our diet guys didn't get weighed and taken off the diet until the last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    Couple of weeks? If you're a diet recruit, expect to stay that way. Our diet guys didn't get weighed and taken off the diet until the last week.

Last week of phase I right? Heh, heh, just as well. Can't hurt to lose any more excess weight. (For reference I'm at 69" and weigh 204...ish--I'm a top heavy/broad shouldered kind of future grunt) The IST won't be a problem 1.5mi at 12:17; 115 sit-ups in 2 min; and 8 pullups (yes, I will have to work on those). So it's not so much that I'm out of shape, I'm just cursed with a larger frame. But I don't know of a better "lose weight fast program" than USMC Boot Camp.

Marine Free Member SgtHopperUSMC's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan7
    As in the skinniest recruit who had to gain weight?

Ha, that will definately NOT be me. My top heavy ass will be on the diet tray for the first couple weeks.
    No....As in the jerk ate so fast we couldnt get ours

My SDI chose those with the highest GT scores in the platoon to be scribe and assistant scribe. I was the scribe. I could've turned it down had I wanted to. My position didn't make me any more noticed to the DIs. I'm a pretty low-profile person to be begin. If anything, the DIs respected me more and never gave me any crap.

Besides the firewatch, I had to write out the daily schedules on index cards for each of the DIs. During team week or whatever ever it was called, I stayed in the squad bay and kept accountability of where the rest of the recruits were working. I was also the holder of the chits. At all times I carried around a signal flare tube that contained pen, paper, schedules, chits and whatever else I or the DIs may have needed. I also remember doing something having to with keeping track of rifle qual scores. Seems I had a little more autonomy than the others.

My first time on the quarterdeck wasn't until some time after half way, and only because I was the only one in the entire platoon that had not been there before. We were in the middle of rifle maintenance, casually talking amongst ourselves and with the DI, everybody was in a joking mood. The DI wasn't a dick about it and I wasn't there long.

Thread Information