Man arraigned on charges he allegedly wore unearned medal
Create Post

Angry Man arraigned on charges he allegedly wore unearned medal

December 08, 2006
    Man arraigned on charges he allegedly wore unearned medal

By John Hoellwarth
    Staff writer

A St. Louis man who military officials said never served in the Marine Corps was arraigned in federal court Thursday on charges of wearing an unearned Navy Cross to the local Marine Corps League’s birthday ball in November, according to the U.S. attorney’s office there.

Michael Weilbacher, 48, who was released on $1,000 bond after being arrested by FBI agents late last month, pleaded not guilty at the arraignment. His trial is scheduled to begin Jan. 18.

An affidavit filed with the federal complaint against Weilbacher the day after the ball stated that he wore numerous medals to the event, including the Navy Cross, two Silver Stars and four Bronze Stars, said district attorney spokeswoman Jan Diltz.

Personnel records at Marine Corps headquarters’ manpower branch show no record of Weilbacher ever serving in the Corps.

Manpower spokesman 1st Lt. Rob Dolan said, “I have more time standing on the yellow footprints than he does in the Marine Corps.”

Under current law, Weilbacher faces a maximum of six months in jail and $5,000 in fines in connection with the misdemeanor charge of wearing unearned military decorations.

Weilbacher’s case may be the last one prosecuted under current statutes. The Stolen Valor Act of 2005, which passed unanimously in the Senate on Sept. 7 and the House on Wednesday, would make wearing unearned medals for combat valor a felony punishable by up to a year in prison and a $10,000 fine. The legislation is awaiting President Bush’s signature.

Michael Weilbacher, shown at the Marine Corps League’s birthday ball in St. Louis, is accused of wearing military decorations he did not earn, including the Navy Cross. — Courtesy of Doug Sterner

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'D LIKE TOO CRACK THIS MUTHA~FUKER;RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYE'S WITH MY .45ACP!I'LL GIVE HIM ,HIS JOHN WAYNE~MEDAL!!!

I say, ship his fat *ss right to the tip of the spear, at the edge of the empire, and let him stand a post, or start drivin in convoys. Wearin his little 'mess dress' outfit he bought on ebay.

Either that, or be hit with cinderblocks until my arms get tired. I don't care which.

How was it that he was at a Marine Corps League birthday ball to begin with? It takes a copy of a DD-214 to join?
    A Navy Cross, two Silver Stars and four Bronze Stars? He may all well have put a flashing red light on his head. What a dumb a$$!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Believe me Ron we have had questionable profiles show up here from time to time and we have contacted the MCL HQ and the Detachment listed on the profiles. I had to produce my DD-214 and Honorable Discharge to join but apparently some slip by as this puke is wearing a red blazer.

Jim

"Trust...but verify". I've met plenty of phonies claiming everything from PTSD to all sorts of other crap. As soon as some ya-hoo walks in wearin a "Chesty Puller starter kit", I take note, and attempt to check on anything I see.

It's a sad, but true, state of affairs these days, but doing it saves you alot of issues, embarrassment, and other things down the road.

Anyone wearing a Navy Cross, Air Force Cross, Distinguished Service Cross, can be EASILY verified these days on the internet with a minimum of searching. So can those claiming MOH, POW, etc. Even, believe it or not, the CAR can be checked, if it's a recent award. You just have to know where and how to look.

This person disrespects every Marine that has ever served this country.

You know I may be a Super-POG with only two medals. But this story makes me proud of those two medals.

Semper Fi,
    Clark

Sgtleprechaun+++++++++++++++++Are you saying that PTSD is a bunch of crap? I truly hope not.

Thread Information