Medical Platoon in Boot Camp
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Medical Platoon in Boot Camp

I'm leaving for MCRDPI this coming Monday and I was told that since I have a hernia that I will be put on a medical platoon when I arrive. I'm just wondering what it is you do on this platoon and how long it might take me to recover and get through Boot Camp?. Thank You.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Charles I have never been in MRP but I have met some recruits that have been. I actualy met them at MCRDSD graduations and they were allowed to attend the family day and graduations of their platoons. I could tell that they were really bummed out watching their fellow recruits become Marines. It was however a motivation for them to get better and finish the process so they could join them. I tried to find some good information for you on the web and came across a Marine Moms site that visits MRP and PCP every Christmas Day and Easter at MCRD San Diego. Im posting the link below for you it has many photos that will at least give you a feel for what its like. I wish you good luck and a speedy recovery so that you can achieve your goal to become one of the few.

Jim

http://uneeknet.com/brian/photos/mcr...005/index.html

Why would you go to boot camp knowing you're going to the MRP? Why would they allow you to do so? Doesn't make any sense at all.

From someone that spent time in MRP, trust me- STAY AWAY IF YOU CAN! There is nothing worse than sitting there being a recruit, but not making any progress towards earning the Title. You do very little all day. The small amount of PT or rehab you have to do will not take up much time, a trip to sick call comes as needed, and the rest of the time you are sitting doing nothing of any real use.

Heal now, go to boot camp when you are able to begin training.

Thank you both for the information, the answer to your question about why I would go knowing that I was going on the medical platoon is that I was advised by my recruiter and the doc that it would be much easier to get it taken care of there and get the feel of things than to get surgery here and pay a good amount of money and have to wait another 60 days and then get cleared through the doc again, which involves more paperwork, I was willing to do that but I followed the advice of my recruiter ( who is a very good and straight forward and never has gave me bad advice or try to talk me into things) and the doc who I feel is probably alot more experienced than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    Why would you go to boot camp knowing you're going to the MRP? Why would they allow you to do so? Doesn't make any sense at all.

From someone that spent time in MRP, trust me- STAY AWAY IF YOU CAN! There is nothing worse than sitting there being a recruit, but not making any progress towards earning the Title. You do very little all day. The small amount of PT or rehab you have to do will not take up much time, a trip to sick call comes as needed, and the rest of the time you are sitting doing nothing of any real use.

Heal now, go to boot camp when you are able to begin training.
    I agree, as a former DI I don't understand why you would want to go to boot camp knowing you were not going to train. Your recruiter is only thinking of himself and getting his numbers. You will most likely heal faster at home. Think this over and get another ship date. I promise PI is not going anywhere.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Why would you go to Boot Camp, get on the Yellow Foot Prints. Get a hair cut and your sea bag full of gear. Then get walked or driven over to medical for surg or what ever. Are they going to fix you there at MCRD or you already had surg for it ? You should have surg first for it then get healed then go to Boot Camp. Or you are getting some sort of Military Medical treatment thing set up for you ? I never heard of a civilian getting off the bus at the Depot and going to Medical right away. Hair cut and then sick bay, sound off ?

Sgt. Hoss

Yeah...lets sit around and watch everyone else become a Marine. F That, nothing like having to go to bed when told, marched around like a 2 year old, and yelled at all day for nothing when you could sleep in and heal properly! Paperwork may take an extra 60 days...but the Corps and MCRDPI will still be there!

Credits
    Savings
    Images

These is a real Norman Rockwell moments for these

recruits but not for the ones that are really going through recruit training. I agree this should not happen they should be they should be healthy before going to MCRD. We were not permitted to send anybody from Baffalo New York with anything like this. This is a waste of time and could be linked to why some of the recruits have died mesteriously.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your Recruiter is trying to hit a number with you.............I'm with all the other Marines in this bunch - why would you WANT to go to MCRD and go straight into a medical platoon? The time you spend in it DOES NOT count towards graduation or anything else that matters in the scheme of things.

You haven't even hit the yellow footprints yet and you are talking about becoming a "Sick Bay Commando". Stay at home, get fixed then get a ship date.

All of these Marines are 100% correct. Stay at home and heal up. Get better and then when your 100% then go.

I agree with all of you, the thing is that fininacally (I kno its spelled wrong I dont know how to spell it.) I cant pay for the surgery then sit around till I heal. But thats the last thing that I want to do is sit around and watch my fellow recruits graduate before me. I've been waiting for this for so long I just want to get there and earn my title of United States Marine!. Thank you all for the advice, and if you have any suggestions of what I should tell my recruiter if I decide to get it taken care of here, since my ship date is within the next 2 weeks it would be helpful. Thanks again

Hernia issues?

Just as almost every other Marine here has said, go get yourself fixed up. A hernia operation is no big deal. I worked as a Security Contractor in New Orleans after Katrina, and had to go home to Utah to get a hernia repaired. The surgery lasted a little over an hour, and recovery was about three days. I would give it about six months minimum before going to boot camp. You need to give it all time to heal. I was back in action after three days, but i wasnt doing 300 situps per day and 10 million pushups every day. Give it time, the Marine Corps isnt going anywhere.

Yea i agree with vet. The best would to be wait until you are fully healed. Worst scenario is you might not heal and have another problem and they medically discharge you for being in boot camp broken so long.. You never know but it's a risk you shouldn't take

Telling your recruiter is simple. Print this thread, show it to him, and then tell him I said to kiss your @$$. I find it highly irresponsible for the recruiter and the MEPS doctor to allow a person to enter the military that is not physically able to become a Marine. That is the entire reason there is a physical to enter and that some people are turned away during that process.

Thread Information