Bummed out
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bummed out

Credits
    Savings

Bummed out

While working in my shop this past Friday night making a jewelry box for a co-worker to give to his daughter, I had an accident and lost three fingers on my left hand. I'm not bummed about the fingers, they're gone and life goes on, but the fact that this box was to be engraved with the EGA and given to Don's daughter so that she could use it to send some personal things to her husband who is currently serving in Iraq. Now I don't know when I will be able to finish it, and I feel like I let her down. I also have three other memorial plaques that will have to wait that I give to others in this area who have lost someone that was in the Military, any branch, that has sacrificed for us.

Thanks for listening. Just needed to vent some frustration, and I know my friends here wouldn't mind if I vented to you. My wife is still shook up, and it wouldn't be fair to put this on her shoulders right now.

Always listening!

Prayers are Outbound with a little luck!

Ellie

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks, Ellie. Once I'm able to get back in my shop, I'll post a picture of my memorial plaque, it's nothing fancy, but is free of charge to any member or their families that are serving or have served in the Armed Forces of our Country.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Looks like you got to makes some adjustments.

That seems to be one of our 'things' as Marines; Whenever we're in a tough situation, we can always remember when we lived through tougher. Or if we can't remember, we know a Bro that has been in worse.

I really ain't wise enough to know how healthy that is, but I'm sure there are others that are.

Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Brother there is no doubt in my military mind that you will adapt improvise and overcome and your work will continue. This is just a temporary barrier in the road that you will get past. Thank you for doing what you do and keep on keeping on.

Semper Fi

Jim

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    rb1651-
    I don't know if I am explaining myself properly but seems to me that you were putting your spirit into this project. In other words more than just your craftmanship was going into the creation of this jewelry box. If what I have said is true... nothing in this world can take that away from you. The jewelry box has your spirit. Somehow I have the feeling that you will be able to use this box for your own healing process and you will complete your project when it is the right time.
    Have you ever heard of "decoupage"? (spelling). I think it is, in the most brief of terms, the process of taking any picture, placing it on a piece of wood, tile etc., painting this decoupage solution on it and the wood. When it dries it will look like the picture was painted on the wood.

http://familycrafts.about.com/cs/dec.../a/012201a.htm

Basic Techniques 101
    Decoupage is one of those crafts where the finished product is sometimes deceptive. Depending on what you make, the finished product can be so stunning that it appears to be professionally painted. By looking at the finished product, you would think decoupage would be complicated, but it isn't.
    Decoupage is actually quite simple! If you can cut and paste, you already know most of the techniques involved. Basically, you cut out pictures; you glue the pictures onto an object; and then cover the object and pictures with a few coats of glue/decoupage medium to protect it.
    Of course, you can buy supplies and other items that are made specifically for decoupage. One of the nice things about this craft, however, is that you can also use supplies that you probably have laying around the house right now.

Who knows? This might be a good and creative enhancement to what you have already created.

May God speed your healing process.

What are you going to line the inside with?? Red felt?

Adios for now.
    Gary

Credits
    Savings
    rb1651-
    Idea.
    Is there anyway that you can create a jewelry box to look like a Boot Camp footlocker? (No engraving will be necessary) Finding a small lock and lock hinge might be a task but, then again, maybe not. (Some 1/2 inch plywood, super adhesive, little nails, hinges, dark green paint etc.) Find an appropriate picture to decoupage on top of the jewelry box.
    Adios for now.
    Gary

Damn RB thats sucks man...Semper Fi Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    Gary, thanks for the input, I'll try that. I know that I could make it somewhat simple, but I am designing it to resemble a pirates treasure chest. Kind of a double meaning, if you follow what I'm trying to accomplish. Don't worry about me being able to overcome, although I am deeply touched by the concern and support, after all, we have all already adjusted and overcome by earning the Title Marine. It's just this sense of guilt that I'm dealing with right now because of not being able to deliver this gift at the time that I said I would. Patti, the young lady that this is for, understands it will be late and has been very supportive of me since the setback. Rest assured it will be completed, and it will be the best work I have ever done.

Thank you all again for your support and ideas. They are very much appreciated.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No need for guilt RB, I am sure they understand. Have you considered looking for another craftsman in your area to help out? Also I hope you aren't left handed or the other Rosey Palm is gonna have to get de-virginized. Good Luck and sorry for the tastless humor.

Man, that's gotta suck!

Being a Marine, I know you'll adapt and carry on. I know it's a small consolation, but I've been missing my left index finger to the second joint since I was 16 months old. It's never slowed me down any. The only down side was it kept me from a couple of officer programs in the Corps, including flight school.

Good Luck!
    crate

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by jgorosco
    No need for guilt RB, I am sure they understand. Have you considered looking for another craftsman in your area to help out? Also I hope you aren't left handed or the other Rosey Palm is gonna have to get de-virginized. Good Luck and sorry for the tastless humor.
    LMAO!!! No need to feel sorry. Already have my friends here calling me stumpy. And yes, I had thought about asking someone else to take over, but this is something very personal to me, and I want it to come from me. I see the sergeon this afternoon to find out what needs to be done to repair my index finger and what's left of my pickie, so I should have a pretty good idea when I will be able to complete this mission I have put myself on. (And by the way, since I still have some of the pinkie and all of the index and thumb, I should still be able to golf next year. At least I won't have to worry about over-gripping the club!! LOL)

Thanks again to all.

Credits
    Savings
    rb1651-
    Can you create some kind of gift certificate or authentic proof of ownership certificate for the jewelry box using your computer....maybe printing it out on parchment-like paper? This might be a neat addition to your completed project.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Osotogary
    rb1651-
    Can you create some kind of gift certificate or authentic proof of ownership certificate for the jewelry box using your computer....maybe printing it out on parchment-like paper? This might be a neat addition to your completed project.
    Great idea!!! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Time to go see the Doc. I'll let you know what he said.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    YOUR A GOOD~MAN,RB!TO THINK OF OTHER'S;INSTEAD OF YOURSELF.THAT'S VERY RARE THESE DAY'S,AND SPEAK'S FOR ITSELF AS TOO HOW MUCH CHARACTER ;YOU HAVE AS A MAN! SEMPER~FIDELIS

Thread Information