Forty Years Ago-vietnam November 1966
Create Post

Exclamation Forty Years Ago-vietnam November 1966

FORTY YEARS AGO-VIETNAM NOVEMBER 1966

November 1, 1966 saw VMA(AW)-242 arrive at DaNang, followed by HMM-163 relieving HMM-161 who rotated to Okinawa from Phu Bai on November 2nd.

The Special Landing Force (SLF) cantonment at Subic Bay, Philippines was completed on November 3, 1966. On November 5, 1966, HMM-161 and Battalion Landing Team 2nd Battalion, 4th Marines departed Vietnam for Okinawa, while Hmm-364 departed for the United States (ConUS). The Marine Support Squadron-3 (MASS)-3 arrived at Chu Lai Marine Corps Air Base from ConUS.

On November 8, 1966 a detachment of the Composite Reconnaissance Squadron (VMCJ)-3 and elements of the 1st Armored Amphibian Company arrived at DaNang, RVN. On November 9, 1966 the South Korean Government told the U.S. it would not increase the Korean presence or commitment beyond the 45,000 troops already in Vietnam.

November 10, 1966 was the Marine Corps Birthday.

Between November 13 and 14, 1966, the U.S. Armys 1/44th Air Defense Artillery Battalion (SP) with 64 M-42 twin 40mm guns and Battery G, 65th Air Defense Artillery Battalion with 24 trailer-mounted m_55 Quad .50 caliber machine guns arrived at DaNang from ConUS.

VMF(AW)-232 shifted from Iwakuni to DaNang and VMF(AW)-235 moved to Iwakuni Japan on November 17th. Between November 20-23, 1966, the last elements of the 1st Armored Amphibian Company arrived at DaNang, RVN, with elements of the 11th Engineer Battalion arriving on November 27th from ConUS.

November, 1966 closed with the arrival of Headquarters Battery, 1st Field Artillery Group (FAG) at Chu Lai, south of DaNang.

The Marine KIA count for November 1966 totaled 116, bringing the total Marine Corps KIA list since January 1962 to 2,000. Before the end of December 1966, 280 more Marines will give their lives in RVN. The Command Chronologies of all units deployed in Vietnam give detailed accounts of all operations and events during November 1966.

www.thevietnamfiles.com

Ellie

Hello - I am trying to find some of my Husbands buddies when he was in Vietnam. He started out as a First Lieutenant and was a Captiain before he came home. I was not married to him when he was in Nam, I was in high school when he was at Tet. I cannot imagine how hard it was for you all there, but I would like to help him reconnect with some of his buddies. His name is Duane Capps from Houston, Texas. I know he was with the First Mar Div, Whiskey Battery - but I don't know much else. Can you put me on the right track? Thank you for your help. Semper Fi - and if I don't talk to you before Friday - Happy Birthday.
    Peggie

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ma'am Whiskey Battery at time could have been with 2nd Battalion 11th Marines or 2nd Battalion 7th Marines both were operating in country at that time. Try the two websites below I linked below. The 1st Marine Division one may be your best bet for finding them.

Good Luck

Jim

http://www.rupplaw.com/Whiskey2-11/

http://pub7.bravenet.com/sitering/sh...rnum=587129108

Duane Capps

Yep, Duane Capps was in the 11th Marines, but I met him many years later when he was President of the Texas Association of Former Marines. Tell him "Doc" Neilson says Hi!

Thread Information