Marines Aren't Soldiers Are They?
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Registered User Free Member docsavage's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Marines Aren't Soldiers Are They?

although the media seems to think so.

I am not the republican loving lifer that most of the people that visit this site seem to be, but I am a USMC Vietnam Veteran (26th Marines - Khe Sahn Combat Base) and there is one thing that still boils my marine corps blood. And that is when the media suggests that marines and soldiers are one in the same.

Everytime I hear this I cringe. For example in the recent Newsweek review of Flags of the Father, the word marine was not even used. The reviewer noted it was the story of the soldiers that raised the flag at Iwo Jima. I wrote a letter to the editor, but it was not published and I did not hear from the piece's writer.

So what do you all think? I think that any marine worth his/her salt should be insulted when the term soldier is used synonomously in place of marine. Of course, what do I know, I am a liberal

Credits
    Savings

Exclamation In case you were wondering

Quote Originally Posted by docsavage
    although the media seems to think so.

I am not the republican loving lifer that most of the people that visit this site seem to be, but I am a USMC Vietnam Veteran (26th Marines - Khe Sahn Combat Base) and there is one thing that still boils my marine corps blood. And that is when the media suggests that marines and soldiers are one in the same.

Everytime I hear this I cringe. For example in the recent Newsweek review of Flags of the Father, the word marine was not even used. The reviewer noted it was the story of the soldiers that raised the flag at Iwo Jima. I wrote a letter to the editor, but it was not published and I did not hear from the piece's writer.

So what do you all think? I think that any marine worth his/her salt should be insulted when the term soldier is used synonomously in place of marine. Of course, what do I know, I am a liberal
    Marines are soldiers

"Manila John" blushed when photographers snapped his picture while being kissed by a Hollywood starlet, smiled broadly when an oil portrait was unveiled in the tiny brick town hall, and was shyly grateful for the $5,000 war bond neighbors gave him. He turned down the bars of a second lieutenant. "I'm a plain soldier," he said, "and I want to stay one." From earliest memory, Basilone had wanted to be a professional fighting man. He had done a hitch in the Army before joining the Marines in 1940, and had served in the Philippines - hence his nickname.

SF
    10thzodiac

He must of gotten one wrong. He was a Marine, not a soldier.

Credits
    Savings

Question rktect3j, Does the Commandant have it wrong too ?

Quote Originally Posted by rktect3j
    He must of gotten one wrong. He was a Marine, not a soldier.

ALMAR 041/06

Date signed: 10/12/2006MARADMIN Number: 041/06

Subject:

231ST ANNIVERSARY OF THE UNITED STATES NAVY

R 120006Z OCT 06
    FM CMC WASHINGTON DC(UC)
    TO AL ALMAR(UC)
    UNCLASSIFIED//
    ALMAR 041/06
    MSGID/GENADMIN/CMC WASHINGTON DC CMC//
    SUBJ/231ST ANNIVERSARY OF THE UNITED STATES NAVY//
    POC/SGT M. BELL/ADMIN CHIEF/CMC STAFF GROUP/-/TEL:(703) 614-2326//
    GENTEXT/REMARKS/
    1. ON BEHALF OF THE ENTIRE MARINE CORPS, IT IS AN HONOR TO SALUTE THE UNITED STATES NAVY ON THE OCCASION OF YOUR 231ST ANNIVERSARY. WHAT BEGAN AS TWO SWIFT SAILING VESSELS FITTED WITH CARRIAGE GUNS HAS FLOURISHED INTO THE MOST POWERFUL AND TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED NAVY IN THE WORLD.
    2. FROM THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR TO THE CURRENT WAR ON TERROR, THE SAILORS OF THE U.S. NAVY HAVE REPEATEDLY PROVEN THEIR METTLE IN COMBAT-ALWAYS PERFORMING WITH HONOR, COURAGE, AND COMMITMENT. SINCE PRESIDENT THEODORE ROOSEVELT DEPLOYED THE GREAT WHITE FLEET, THE NAVY HAS MAINTAINED A FORWARD PRESENCE AROUND THE GLOBE. TOGETHER, THE NAVY-MARINE CORPS TEAM HAS ESTABLISHED A LEGACY OF DEDICATION, FLEXIBILITY, AND SELFLESS SERVICE-WHETHER DEFENDING FREEDOM, SAFEGUARDING OUR SHORES, OR PROVIDING HUMANITARIAN AID.
    3. IN HONOR OF THIS ANNIVERSARY, WE ALSO RELISH THE OPPORTUNITY TO RECOGNIZE THE IMMEASURABLE CONTRIBUTIONS OF THOSE SPECIAL SAILORS-NAVY CHAPLAINS AND CORPSMEN-WHO MEND BOTH MIND AND BODY, WHETHER UNDER FIRE IN DUSTY COMBAT ZONES, OR HERE AT HOME CARING FOR RETURNING VETERANS AND MARINE FAMILIES.
    4. AS OUR SERVICES CONTINUE TO WORK TOGETHER IN DEVELOPING THE NAVAL AND AMPHIBIOUS WARFIGHTING CONCEPTS OF THE FUTURE, KNOW THAT THE "SOLDIERS OF THE SEA" REMAIN PROUD TO STAND SHOULDER TO SHOULDER WITH THE WORLD'S FINEST NAVY. HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND SEMPER FIDELIS.
    M. W. HAGEE, GENERAL, UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS, COMMANDANT OF THE
    MARINE CORPS.//

SF
    10thzodiac

Well, 10thzodiac has done a fine job of letting us all know that he's one proud SOLDIER!

Right On.

UNITED STATED MARINES, simply, ARE NOT SOLDERS, NOR IS A GREEN BERET, OR A NAVY SEAL.

ALL MEDIA WITH A HALF A BRAIN REPORT THESE CASUALTIES AS SUCH...
    BY THEIR TITLE.
    SO SEMPER-FI ...MARINE!

ANYONE WHO IS A MARINE, WHO THINKS THEY ARE SIMPLY A SOLDIER, MISSED SOMETHING, AND THEREFOR IS JUST THAT "A SOLDIER".

They should have joined the regular Army or Navy. Military Life would have been a lot easier on them.

Semper-Fidelis,
    Danny

Marine Free Member SgtHopperUSMC's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Merriam Webster Dictionary:

2 marine n (1969) one of a class of soldiers serving on shipboard or in close association with a naval force; specif : a member of the U.S. Marine Corps.

1 soldier n one engaged in military service and esp. in the army

2 soldier vi 2: to make pretense of working while really loafing.

Hey, I didn't write the dictionary!!

I prefer Marine!!

Credits
    Savings

Wink Sorry to break anyone's bubble, but the truth is the truth

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyL
    Well, 10thzodiac has done a fine job of letting us all know that he's one proud SOLDIER!

Don't take it so hard GunnyL, we're in good company !

"I'm a plain soldier, he said, "and I want to stay one."

John Basilone "The Pride of The Marines"

SF
    10thzodiac

P.S. Whew, I thought for sure if the Commandant said we're "sea soldiers", you'd believe him at least.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    TELL IT TO A GREEN~BERET,MY PAPA WAS A (CAREER SOLDIER);FORMER GREEN~BERET LIFER AND DAM PROUD OF IT!R~A~ALL THE WAY!HE IS HONORED TO BE CALLED A SOLDIER,THE OLD GRIZZLY BEAR OF A MAN GET'S UPSET;TO PUT IT MILDLY IF CALLED ANYTHING ELSE! HEY 26TH.MARINE~MARINE IS SPELLED WITH A CAPITAL (M)!!! SEMPER~FIDELIS

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    YOU KNOW WHAT 'NUMBA 1O? I'M STARTING TO LIKE YOU A SCOSH! THE NEXT TIME I HUMP THROUGH A MINE FIELD I'LL,LET YOU TAKE THE POINT;MY MAN! I'VE HUMPED IT TOO LONG~LOL~S/F SEA~SOLDIER!!!

Credits
    Savings

Question Would you believe "Chesty" ?

"Chesty" The Story of Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC," by Jon T. Hoffman, LtCol USMCR, in which he named Chapter 1, "Making a Man and a Soldier" Genesis of a Marine.

SF
    10thzodiac

Credits
    Savings

Exclamation the capitalist will sell you the rope you use to hang him!

Quote Originally Posted by FISTFU68
    :beer: YOU KNOW WHAT 'NUMBA 1O? I'M STARTING TO LIKE YOU A SCOSH! THE NEXT TIME I HUMP THROUGH A MINE FIELD I'LL,LET YOU TAKE THE POINT;MY MAN! I'VE HUMPED IT TOO LONG~LOL~S/F SEA~SOLDIER!!!:usmc:
    That would be funny stepping on a retirement investment

Motorola's involvement with antipersonnel mines first came to light in a film shot in 1995 of a Khmer Rouge guerrilla in Cambodia unwinding the cap of a Chinese Type 72 antipersonnel mine, revealing the presence of a Motorola electronic chip.

By far the most recognizable name on the list of land-mine component producers is General Electric—the U.S. multinational that says it "brings good things to life." For more than a dozen years these "good things" included parts for deadly antipersonnel land-mines.

Subsequent research by Human Rights Watch has centered on GE's business ties with the Italian ex-land-mine producer Tecnovar Italiana. In September 1996 a Human Rights Watch Arms Project researcher visited Tecnovar's facility in the southern Italian town of Bari and saw sacks of GE's Lexan plastic powder on the premises. Tecnovar subsequently wrote a letter to Human Rights Watch stating that GE's Dutch and U.S. subsidiaries supplied Lexan plastic powder and synthetic rubber components to Tecnovar sufficient to manufacture 1.6 million antipersonnel mines and 1.2 million antitank mines from 1979 to 1993. Human Rights Watch has also obtained invoices that identify GE as a supplier of Lexan to Tecnovar.

It is instructive to note where some of the Italian mines ended up. Tecnovar in 1979 beat out half a dozen other big European companies to stock Egypt's land-mine arsenal. From 1979 to 1993 Tecnovar delivered a total of 1.4 million TS-50 antipersonnel mines and 200,000 VAR-40 antipersonnel mines to Egypt.

Guess who bought these from Egypt, yes, Saddam Hussein did and I don't have to tell you who is stepping on them now.

I guess Ole Smedley was right, "War is a Racket", and the Soldier is paying for it. Excuse me, I meant Marine, forgot who I/we were for a seniors moment

SF
    10th zodiac

Technically as designation a marine is a soldier, but when addressing a member of the USMC they should be referred to as a Marine(big M) because it's an earned title not a designation.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thzodiac
    "Chesty" The Story of Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC," by Jon T. Hoffman, LtCol USMCR, in which he named Chapter 1, "Making a Man and a Soldier" Genesis of a Marine.

SF
    10thzodiac
    Marines are exactly that, Marines. 10thzodiac - your own sig tag quote by Smedley even points this out. Why do you think he made this distincition if there were not one to be made? He didn't simply state "soldiers." He went on to separate Marines from the bunch. Go figure. Given some of your other posts, and the fact that you wear this quote by Smedley (and all other of his viewpoints) on your sleeve, it would seem you'd have this figured out by now.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hey Z-10-I'm suprised you aren't raising more hell about being accused of being a "republican loving lifer" than wanting to be a sojer.

Thread Information