Fraudelent Enlistment
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fraudelent Enlistment

Throughout my teen years up to about two months before I enlisted in the USMC DEP I've been treated for a number of psych disorders (ranging from ADHD to Bipolar) and been put on numerous medications. My most current doc said (as well as my mother, who is in the medical field) said that he doubts that I have any of these disorders, and that when i was mistested while under the influence of other medications.

First thing I brought up with recruiters is this problem...three of them said not to worry about it (one of them talked to the Liason down at MEPS, and according to him I SHOULD be okay), including two Navy recruiters, and my ex-Navy stepfather (who was a recruiter as well). I am aware of the 2 year waiting period (I was off two months before I joined; I've now been off a year). I am really worried about getting charged with fraudulent enlistment, and the subsequent dishonoroable discharge, but I fear that if I come clean I will be discharged from the DEP and won't be able to re-enlist. Should I just ship out and hope for the best?

Any advice would be VERY, VERY appreciated.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Be straight up about EVERYTHING - if you don't, it will follow you through your entire time in the Corps - you'll always be worried about something coming out ESPECIALLY if (God forbid) something should happen to you medically that brings it out. If it's nothing for you to worry about then, at least it's out and you really won't have to worry.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I have ADHD, and some other disorders that are not important to discuss in this post. Listen to Marine84- JUST TELL THEM! I doubt that MEPS and the men and women in the Armed Forces are going to fully review everyones medical records. Does that meen that they wont find out? Well, lets look at it this way- If they dont ever find out, good for you...have a great time being dissapointed in your dishonest and immature approach to the greatest job in the world. On the other hand, when you realize that you will be in this occupation for a 4 year period, you might quickly begin to see how easy it is to slip, screw up, or do anything to reveal your disorder within those 1,460 days. Not only will you be stressed, feel insecure, and constantly be nervous/anxious (Or even paranoid), but if you DO infact mess up and get caught, your mind will be much deeper into that mental pile of ****. Not to mention what the government will throw at you. Just do your best, dont get into any trouble with the law, show you are determined, and be HONEST!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Honor - Courage - Commitment!

Think about it!

I've brought my concerns up with recruitors on multiples occasions, and they are telling me to keep quiet. I WANT to do the HONEST and HONORABLE thing. If I come clean, I would be disqualified and be discharged from the DEP. See the dilemna?

I am gonna be honest here I kept quiet down at MEPS about previous history of ADHD. I have not been on any medication in almost 3 years so that is why I never said a word. I made it through MEPS without a hitch at all as a matter of fact the docs never really questioned me like my recruiter said they would. As a matter of fact the only thing that happened to me after I stopped taking my meds was the fact I gained like 60 pounds but thats it.

Like The Ssgt Says Above, Honor, Courage, Commitment. Be True To The Corps. P.S. Be Honest With Yourself, It Will Remain With You The Rest Of Your Life.

Last edited by jinelson; 11-10-06 at 04:52 PM.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    PooleeWill - I cannot believe what I just read AND you're going to give another poolee the same bad advice.

What does Honor, Courage & Commitment mean to either one of you? And don't give me the dictionary version - I already know those - what do they mean to YOU?

Never lie, your recruiters are wrong if they're telling you to cover it up. It will haunt you and you will be paranoid and if it comes out later you will be SOL. If you are guaranteed to be DQ'd I'd go get letters from docs saying you're okay and then request a waiver.

Good luck.

I never gave him any bad advice and nor did I encourage him to do what I did. Things just happen the way they are and I am sorry for what I posted, I only do what my recruiter tells me to do and that is it. I have always wanted to be in the millitary service since I was in highschool. And when I talked to my recruiter he knew what medications I had been on in the past so its not like no one was in the shadow about it. But I better stop here before I get flamed for what I am saying.

Quote Originally Posted by ublar
    Throughout my teen years up to about two months before I enlisted in the USMC DEP I've been treated for a number of psych disorders (ranging from ADHD to Bipolar) and been put on numerous medications. My most current doc said (as well as my mother, who is in the medical field) said that he doubts that I have any of these disorders, and that when i was mistested while under the influence of other medications.

First thing I brought up with recruiters is this problem...three of them said not to worry about it (one of them talked to the Liason down at MEPS, and according to him I SHOULD be okay), including two Navy recruiters, and my ex-Navy stepfather (who was a recruiter as well). I am aware of the 2 year waiting period (I was off two months before I joined; I've now been off a year). I am really worried about getting charged with fraudulent enlistment, and the subsequent dishonoroable discharge, but I fear that if I come clean I will be discharged from the DEP and won't be able to re-enlist. Should I just ship out and hope for the best?

Any advice would be VERY, VERY appreciated.
    You need to fess up before you go back to MEPs to ship, get the medical docs and have them reviewed. Explain to your doctor what you did, get an updated evaluation forward to meps. A few things will happen, you will be discharged ASAP and coded in the system as a fraudulent enlistment, the doctor will view your records or ask for more and either DQ you or set up a consult with the shrink to figure out if your qual or figure out a time frame for you to come back. It may not be pretty, the Marine Corps Recruiting Command also has the option to send you packing, order an investigation which will not do anything criminal to you except permanently DQ you, or send a waiver to MCRC or b-med. The Marine Corps can send the waiver up even if the MEPs medical DQs you. The biggest thing you need to overcome is integrity, they will view you as a liar, unless you take your recruiter down with you. The only problem is if he has no blemishes and is making his mission , you wont go to far. Lastly a big concern based on your medical past even if you were misdiagnosed is the fact that you had ADHD and have bipolar disease. Your concern should be dealing with the stress of Recruit Training and how hard you will have it. And when you get as far as San Diego its to late to sing because you could of came clean through the process of the RSS, RS, Meps, and at the MOT in boot camp. If you lied all the way through it your road kill unless that Recruiter has a past history. I will not give you advice because I don't know who is BSing, I give the benefit to the Marine. You wanted it so you have to soul search, hell you could BS your way through 20 years if you wanted but I doubt very much that this would happen.

Where does this intersect with knowing the recruiter told you to do something, and not wanting to try to get him in trouble? I gurantee you recruiters do exactly this, and I worry that too many kids are being thrown out when all that was needed was a waiver.

Quote Originally Posted by WanderWannabe
    Where does this intersect with knowing the recruiter told you to do something, and not wanting to try to get him in trouble? I gurantee you recruiters do exactly this, and I worry that too many kids are being thrown out when all that was needed was a waiver.
    You do not have to bring up that the recruiter told you to lie, it is your responsibility what you tell and what you don't tell. It is not your recruiters fault. He should take responsibility that he lied and deal with it. I know that the only things I covered up when I went through MEPS was that I had braces because I didn't want to have to go get my stupid dentist docs, everything else was open information.

Good luck.

Well, I told the recruiters everything, and they told me that they called MEPS and talked to the liason directly. They said everything was clear, and they told me what to tell MEPS. I think I am in the clear, simply because I was up front, but I have the nagging feeling that there is something fishy going on.

Probably just pre-ship jitters.

Quote Originally Posted by WanderWannabe
    Probably just pre-ship jitters.
    That's what I want to know...If i'm just blowing things out of proportion

Also, I did get two letters from more two most recent doctors, saying that I am okay for service.
    I was planning on coming clean at my second (actually third) MEPS processing date, just before I ship.

Thread Information