Marine Free Member Matt Brzycki's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Gettin sandblasted by sandstorms.

Gettin sunburned in January.

Rakin the sand.

Gettin bit by fire ants.

Goin out for a run and comin back caked with salt when the water in your sweat evaporated and left it as residue.

"Trop hours."

Those were the days!

I was there 1976 to 1978. It actually snowed there once. My guess it was either Jan 1977 or 78. Was less than an inch and, of course, melted pretty quickly but it was snow nonetheless.

Matt Brzycki
    Sergeant (1975-79)

I was there 90'-94', and in between desert storm, and okinawa, I loved it there ! Only 1 hour away from palm springs, 3 from vegas, and not too far from sunny san diego, gotta miss the 120 degree summers, and the lovely aroma of lake bandini, running P.T, and smelling all of its glory! I was in barracks bldg. 1425, in the ghetto, up on the hill, God bless the STUMPS!!!!

Did they especially design those friggin s-curves going in there to kill Marines or what ? And whatever the fvck those bushes were that shot those friggin dart like things into you if you fell on them. Makes doing fire team rushes interesting.

I have to say the roadrunners were pretty cool though.

I'm currently in 29 Palms, and this post is quite humorous. I used to complain when it was 85 out, thats definately changed.

I trained there 17 months in 66 and 68 before we went to Vietnam.I disliked the stumps when I arrived,but it ended up being my favorite duty station.Do they still have the Banning Bullet ?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I did my best running at the stumps. Nuthin else to do. The weekend scorpion fights were good, but you had to own your own, which ment diggin one up by hand with witnesses. Learned how to survive a quart of Smirnoff 100 chugged. Run 10 miles.
    Good days. 1971

Also remember workin on tank comm in 123 degrees, long sleeve shirt and gloves,,,,,,,,,,

Big black stink bugs.......

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Got bit by a Kangaroo rat once, got sick, and they put me in the hosp for observation for 3 days. Got better, no shots, Thank you, God.

I Loved Twenty-Nine Palms

I loved Twentynine Palms to be honest. I was there from Sept 02-Nov 02 for CAX. I volunteered for Advanced Party, Did a CAX, and then Volunteered to stay, and help out with other Misc Stuff with Rear Party. Honestly I would have to say I loved every minute of it. I know that sounds crazy. Considering we lived in tents, under Cammie Nets, and out in the field most of the time. But I got some good culture from it as well. Being there as long as I was for CAX I got on base liberty a few occassions. It was cool for me because I got to see my Dad's old Bn, and meet alot of really cool Marines, that were stationed there. My best night there, which was the day before my Bn wanted me to get back to Camp Lejuene. I was working with a SSgt (can't remember his name) Sorting out tools that had to be handed back to supply up the road on a hill on the edge of mainside. Well that night I had no place to go back to there at Mainside, so the SSgt said he was leaving for the night, and If I wanted to I could just sleep up at the supply building, and use the shower, and head that was inside if I wanted, and he would pick me up in the morning. I told the SSgt that was fine, I had all my gear some MRE's and some pogey bait. So right there in the middle of this parking lot, by a conex box, I set up a little camp sight. It was pretty hiliarious when the guard came around at night, and asked me what the hell I was doing. I politley told the Private what I was doing, and why I was there. He checked with the Coproral of the Guard. After a little persuasion, and convincing I was allowed to continue sleeping in the lot. It was funny in the Morning when all of the Permnant Personel where showing up in the Moring for work, and im crashed out on my poncho, and sleeping bag in my skivie shirt and shorts. All in all I had a good time, great training, and learned alot about Twentynine Palms. SF

We went out there for 30 days, I was glad to get back to Cherry point NC

Spent a LOT of time at the Stumps from 1985 to 2003 off and on... enjoyed all of it. Back in 1966, it was rumored that if you got assigned to 29 Palms that when you arrived at the main gate the MP's would issue you a rifle, full unit of fire, 3 canteens of water and 3 days of C's and point you in the direction of your unit with "three days march...thataway" LOL... Best thing they ever did was get rid of those S turns on the way to the main gate in the late 1990's...no telling how many Marine lives have been saved since. Something about a young Marine on a "crotch rocket" and they just HAVE to see how fast the damn thing will go.

Semper Fi

I did several CAX deployments there, one double summer, one double winter....and each was miserable in their own way lol...

As a HE Operator, this is a miserable operation....the gear pool at EEAP is just pathetic....TRAM's missing windshields, messed up fork carriages....the list goes on....just a nightmare.

Load out and set up were the worst for us....just an endless line of trucks waiting to be loaded or offloaded, kinda mind-numbing lol....

But, with the suck also came some very good personal memories of my friends and the funny crap we did to break the sometimes boring life when we weren't doing too much in between.

Had my issued tinted flightline glasses(prescription) on, you know the same glasses Goose wears in Top Gun...LOL. Anyways a SgtMaj chews me out because I looked like an officer and startled him in the middle of his breif. He had those bootcamp issued BC's on, I was like WTF a SgtMaj with BC's, and hes like WTF a Lcpl with cool as glasses? Then he showed me how to read a map.

I was at the Stumps in 66 waiting for my Med. Discharge , that I was fighting , didn't want to leave the Corps . and what I remember most is freezing water in our canteens at night LOL and the flash floods in the gully's and washes . Saw a reserve unit lose the PC and jeep in a flash flood . when we told the Lt. to put his men up on higher ground , he said no he was putting them down in the gully to be out of the wind , and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. LOL and no-one has said anything the Rock Hunting be a Fav. past time there . I made some great looking Bowlo Ties and Watch Bands .

Never eat dorritos by your rack, the smallest crumbs can attract a 100,000 biting fire ants......ow.

Never drink a bottle of Jim Beam in 90 degree heat on top the ridge behind mainside (by bearmat) and attempt to run all the way down. You will wake up the next morning stuck to your sheets from dried scrabs.......ow.

Never roll the wrong way when getting some with your best gal at the overlook to Palm Springs at Joshua Tree National Monument, it's a long drop. ....just make sure you're on top when you land......ow.

Never ride for 2-1/2 hours in the back of a pick up truck passed out from a weekend at the river.......ow.

Stumps had a blast, that was just the part when I was at school. Got tons more from the CAX's with 1/7 there.......ow.

Thread Information