15 Ways to tell if you’re in Twentynine Palms when... - Page 10
Create Post
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Beer tent at CAX!

Win!

29 Palms Football

Played Center on the 1st MAAM football team at 29 Palms in 1958. The games were played on the grinder. My guard was Captain Humphrey, playhing his last year since reaching his 35th birthday. What a beautiful and kind person. He would be 88 years old today, Semper Fi, Cap.

20 Palms Base Hospital

29 Palms, 1959. Got up in morning to prepare for field on manuvers which was preparation for ship to shore exercise at Camp Pendleton the following week. I put on my boot and got stung by a spider. I continue to get dressed but pain got worse. Went to base hospital where I sat with others waiting for care. Some of them were sandbaggers not wanting to go to the field.

After sitting there for some time, I ended up with excruitiating pain & was hospitalized. They flew in a helicopter from the field and flew me to March AFB for treatment where I spent three days in poor shape. As a result of this handling and inability of base medical, it was decided to build a larger medical facility at the base.

Does anyone have any knowledge of a 'new' base hospital being built in the early 60's?

During CAX at Camp Wilson we were headed to the "px" or whatever it was called and its officially the only time I think I ever saw an LAV. No I never saw one stateside and don't think I saw any in Iraq since I know they didn't have any in our AO around fallujah in 05

Quote Originally Posted by EVogler View Post
    29 Palms, 1959. Got up in morning to prepare for field on manuvers which was preparation for ship to shore exercise at Camp Pendleton the following week. I put on my boot and got stung by a spider.
    Does anyone have any knowledge of a 'new' base hospital being built in the early 60's?
    I'll chime in....

When I returned to CONUS in March '67 I was assigned to M/4/13 being the M109 self propelled guns (correct me if necessary) at Los Flores.
    Sometime summer of '67 we convoyed from Pendelton for 3 week training exercise.
    I remember how uncomfortable we all were riding in the back of a sh!tload of 6X's....seems to me it was a few hours drive? Confirm?

Anyway, it's early morning and I'm checking my gear for crawly creatures and check my boots to make sure no arthropods have made home.
    I pick up my helmet and almost put it on and decide to check one more time....that was a good decision....there was scorpion hiding under one of the straps of the cloth webbing.

I wonder if there's anyone else here who was in my unit during that summer of '67?
    I'd love to re-kindle some memories of that era.

Carry on....

I was there 90'-94', and in between desert storm, and okinawa, I loved it there ! Only 1 hour away from palm springs, 3 from vegas, and not too far from sunny san diego, gotta miss the 120 degree summers, and the lovely aroma of lake bandini, running P.T, and smelling all of its glory! I was in barracks bldg. 1425, in the ghetto, up on the hill, God bless the STUMPS!!!!

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 06-08-11 at 03:53 AM.

I'd like to see a better completed profile, esp if you are 'still in service' as a Pvt E-1~!

Furthermore, shilling crap in your sig line is NOT allowed.

The "stumps" wasn't that bad,78-81,3rd 175mm Gun Battery[sp]4/11

You get a good suntan, your car gets stuck in the asphalt,the front of your car gets sandblasted.going to Parker to see the wet tee shirt contest at the bar on the river. I had a good time there. We spent a lot of time in the field on CAX's. I was there one time when it snowed,started a snowball fight in the barracks

Join the Gold Prospectors Association of America. It's mostly old timers but they all have transportation if you don't, and the area is lousy with places to poke around for gold, and learn

"29 Palms when...."

The willie pete rounds tumble and land half way to target because heat caused the WP to liquify while sitting in the 105 tube during a pause in the action for range control.

Your ears are blue from diving in a ****can full of ice water looking for one more beer at the bottom. ( Which of course then becomes a contest to see who in the battery can last the longest with thier head in a ****can full of ice water.)

I was there in 61. It was 120 the day I left.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Greetings Leathernecks
    Please forgive me for resurrecting this oldy-moldy thread. It looks like it has been dead for awhile. However, I think that my reasoning is sound. I was writing a report and was trying to remember the saying that was on t-shirts that we had over 35 years ago when I was stationed at the Stumps (found it here: "60 miles from water, 6 feet from hell"). My internet search produced this thread. I was not a member, so I just joined. This is my first post and I suppose that it is appropriate that it is about the Stumps having been stationed there twice for a total of about 2 1/2 years in my first 4 years!

For the record. I learned to love the Stumps. it is in the middle of EVERYTHING!
    Be blessed!

Thread Information