15 Ways to tell if you’re in Twentynine Palms when...
Create Post
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Cool 15 Ways to tell if you’re in Twentynine Palms when...

1. You can say 110 degrees without fainting...
    2. You eat hot chilies to cool your mouth off...

3. You can make instant sun tea...

4. You learn that a seat belt makes a pretty good branding iron...

5. The temperature drops below 95, you feel a bit chilly...

6. You discover that in July, it takes only two fingers to drive your car...

7. You discover that you can get a sunburn through your car window...

8. You notice the best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance...

9. Hot water now comes out of both taps...

10. It’s noon in July, kids are on summer vacation, and not one person is out on the streets...

11. You actually burn your hand opening the car door...

12. You break a sweat the instant you step outside...at 7:30 a.m. before work...

13. No one would dream of putting vinyl upholstery in a car or not having air conditioning...

14. Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, “What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?”...

15. You realize that asphalt has a liquid state...

Sempers,

Roger

Cool 29 Palms

I'll vouch for all those scenarios. Had one of those vinyl-clad interiors (& no A/C) mini trucks. Eyes felt like melting in the sockets in the early afternoon. Good thing I still had my Hollywood-style sunglasses from MCRD.
    Semper Fi & Best Regards.

Credits
    Savings

Talking

Your bad mouthing a great place, spent 3 years there , loved it, you got a 96 hour pass every month, when the temp hit a certain point, you went to the barracks, cept my company, worked in Building 2000, good airconditioning, three of us bought an old simca for about 100 bucks, chooped the body off and had our own dune buggy, use to drive the dunes, shooting 22, at the rabbits and sidewinders, best part was to go to the target range for the 155s ,and find all kinds of good ammo , still had pulled 50 cal tracers up to about 10 years ago, learned never ever drill into a 50 cal tracer with a high speed drill , duh.

Drifter,
    Forgot the most important one. The one where you would endure the pain rather than fart. Because of the fear of explosion.

Lightbulb 29 Palms

Shooters got a point there.
    Nothing like the sweet zephyrs from Lake Bandini (except for the hog farms outside Dam Neck, VA). Gotta love the place!

Registered User Free Member Motor-T's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

The Stumps

I don't see how anyone could like it there. lol
    I was there in 74,3000 men and 30 women,nothing there to like. lol

Dut don't forget about the Santa Anna winds picking up all of that sand. I knew when i left the Stumps that there was no rust on my body. I was sand blasted every day my last 2 weeks there.

Registered User Free Member leroy8541's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    the tin t-p's at camp wilson are like microwave ovens, scorpion fights are fun though. a place where mopp-4 is a death sentence. your cammies seem to starch themseves. black boots turn white, is it majic? four beers and you are plastered!! dehydration is common place. and you don't seem to sweat!!

Registered User Free Member JChristin's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Where are the Twenty-Nine Palms? Can any one account for those 29 palms? Did I miss something?

semper fi
    jchristin

My grandmother told me back when settler were coming from the east and they got towards the ocean the suspected the Joshua Tree to be Palm trees. Well they ended up not near the ocean and learned those weren't palm trees. Well she still lives in the desert so I guess I believe her.

It was always dry and always hot when I was there for training. Many times of, yes hot and yes dry!

But in '63 or '64 sad history occured there.
    A dry lakebed where marines were camped was washed out by a flash flood. Marine lives were lost.

29 Palms, a place in the desert that is not to be taken lightly.
    She will burn you, bake you, sandblast you and yes, if given a chance she will drown you!

Semper Fi

Don't forget, Greensideout. If it ain't got thorns, it's got fangs.

Always stay to high ground, such as there is, when yer campin', and when crossing those dry gulches and washes, always listen fer a minute.

It can be a hundred and ten in the shade, if you can find any. You can be miles form any kind of storm and when you hear that rumble, water is comin'! Flash flood in the desert on a dry, clear day? Yep. I've seen it a couple of times.

There was a book published (late 70's/early 80's) about 29 Palms area history, titled "Sand in My Shoes". Don't know if it's still in print. (Had a copy several years ago, but don't know where it is now.) Book had historical info back to the mid-1800s.

Correction to Last Post

(As you were.) Book was titled "Sand in my shoe : Homestead days in Twentynine Palms" by Helen Bagley. Amazon sez it's not in print anymore, but available.

It's bikini time...........LOL

Ellie

Thread Information