Spearhead Book for 5th marine division Iwo Jima - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi, My uncle was a Marine 5th Division, and he was killed in Iwo Jima on March 14th, 1945. I have been trying to find information about him for a long time and just found this thread. The only information that I know about his death is that he was on a recon mission and was hit by a sniper. If anyone may know how I can obtain more information about his time in the military, it would be very helpful. When my grandmother passed a few years ago, all the letters and anything from my Uncle were lost. If I am able to get a book with his name to be able to honor his memory, I would appreciate the info on how I can buy one.

You might first try the 5th Marine Division Website. That would be a start. Drop me a private message (PM) with all the information you have, I'll see what I can dig up for you.

The book I was referring to is like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Spearhead-Worl.../dp/B0006ASGNM

I have an original copy, 1st print. These books are almost non-existant, at least in my search.

Sorry to revive such an old thread.

i have the 5th marine div. book call 781344 1696 howie

I feel akindred spirit with both you and josterhage as my dad, too, was with the 5th MarineMotor Transport Battalion. Today wouldhave been my dad’s 98th birthday and although he passed in 1975 I decided to gothrough his Spearhead book and an old photo album. Having just watched Flags of Our Fathers afew days ago on tv and seeing reference to the 28th Regiment I decided to seeif I could find out what regiment my dad had been assigned to. Dad was apparently attached to the 26th Regimentas the photo album shows a couple pictures of him in front of a truck labeled26 M.T.CO. which my dad had named “Danny Boy”. What regiment was your grandfather Raymond attached to? If he was attached to the 26th and named hisvehicle “Rita”, “Freda & Bill”, “Betty” or “Smokey” then I very likely havea picture of him. My dad somehow livedthrough the battle of Iwo Jima without being wounded or suffering any illeffects from the war in later years which really kinda surprises me even moreas the Casualty Report on page 179 shows the 26th Regiment as having been seriouslychewed up. My dad didn’t open up aboutthe war until he was on limited time and had handed me the books that I amgoing through now. I had been severelyreprimanded by my mother as a child about asking war-related questions of mydad and of my uncles so I wasn’t conditioned to ask questions when I didactually have the chance. I should havebeen more daring and asked those questions of him as an adult. I’ll have to ask him when I “see” himlater.

An openquestion to anyone. In WWII would someoneattached to a Motor Transport Battalion have hit the beach on D-Day with arifle or would they have stayed on a ship with the equipment until the beachwas secured? I’m not finding any mentionof this.

Thank allveterans for your service.

Good Evening,

My nineteen year old uncle served with Company D, 2nd Battalion, 28th Regiment, 5th Marine Division. He landed on Iwo Jima on February, 1945 and was killed on March 1, 1945. I am fortunate enough to have a copy of the Western Union telegram that was sent to my Grandparents 'signed' by A. A. Vandergrift, LtGen, Commandant of the USMC.

After the war my Grandparents received two books from our government: "The Spearhead" by Howard M. Conner (1st Edition) and "The U.S. Marines on Iwo Jima" by Capt. Raymond Henri (Dial Press 1945). Both books contain a casualty list (no dates of death indicated).

If I can assist any member here with basic info I would be happy to do so.

Bill
    USMC 1965-1974
    azsil2@mindspring.com

Thread Information