People from other branches who think they know everything about the Marines
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

People from other branches who think they know everything about the Marines

I just got home from my gym, I was working out in my poolee shirt as usual and this one guy who is a personal trainer at the gym comes up to me and he's like "USMC, huh? What's your MOS?" And I said that I proudly said that I was going infantry, and then he repeats "No, I mean what is your MOS? 11 Bravo?" And I said no, you don't get to choose you don't get to pick your specific MOS until you get to the School of Infantry and he tells me in this voice kind of talking down to me "I was in, that's not true at all, it should be right there in your contract when you go to MEPS."

Well he told me that he was "in" so I didn't want to correct him or anything even though I knew what he was saying wasn't right, just because I have a lot of respect for him, but then he it hits me... he said "11 Bravo" which is Army. He wasn't a Marine, he was in the Army. Well he kept talking to me like he was an expert on the Marine Corps and he asked me what rank i'm going in as and I said I have contract PFC which is E-2 and he tells me that PFC isn't E-2, PFC is E-1! WTF!?!? I just told him that I know what the Marine Corps rank structure is and he gets combative with me saying things like "Don't tell me that, I was in, I know what i'm talking about." I tried to explain that the Marines and the Army are different and he would hear none of it.

He asked me what I scored on my ASVAB and I told him and he thought I was stupid for going infantry when I could have had any job I wanted, he kept telling me to get a deskjob and get an education and I told him i'm not interested in doing that. He asked me how many college credits I had and I told him I currently have about 20 and he said I could get a $50,000 dollar signing bonus and go in as an E-4, and I explained to him that the Marine Corps does not offer bonuses like that and they don't give away rank like that and he just goes "Trust me, I know what i'm talking about, if you're firm with your recruiter you'll get the 50 grand and E-4 in your contract." Then he goes on to tell me that infantry are the ones who are homeless on the street corners which is just such a friggen joke and not true at all, but any legitimate response or argument I tried to make was written off by him with a "I was in, I know what i'm talking about."

He tells me that in 4 years i'll get out of the Marines as infantry with no job skill and nothing to fall back on, i'll have no money, etc. and I explained to him that I will be a Marine and have all the intangibles that go along with being a Marine, but he just did not understand any of this.

He keeps digging deeper and asking why I want to be in the infantry so badly, and I told him that nobody ever wrote a history book about a postal clerk. After I said that he just basically told me that I don't know what i'm getting myself into and i'm making a huge mistake and walked away. He doesn't know I lost 80 pounds and that this has been a dream of my for 5 years, I guess "serving your country" isn't a good reply for some people.

The worst part about it is that my two friends were with me at the time listening to all of these things were are just so blatantly wrong and not true and they were believing him.

He was in the Army and he served his country honorably so I absolutely have the most respect in the world for him, but it's just ridiculous that he assumes everything in the Marine Corps is the same as the Army (50k signing bonus, E-4 in contract, etc.) and then tries to talk me out of it essentially telling me i'm stupid for going infantry. Why doesn't he focus his time chewing out some POS anti-war protestor who hates the military... not someone who wants to join and serve their country?

I can't wait until earn my place among the brotherhood of all Marines, because nobody else except Marines understands these things.

well you might not recieve marketable job skills starting as an 0311. You might not get a siging bonus of 50K and bumped up to E-4 like the army.

But what you will get unlike the army is some of the best experiences and a huge fraternity unlike no other.. I have always looked down on how other branches give away awards and medals without being earned. What medals and ranks recieved in the Marine Corps are earned and not handed out.

Last edited by jinelson; 10-24-06 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by killerinstinct
    well you might not recieve marketable job skills starting as an 0311. You might not get a siging bonus of 50K and bumped up to E-4 like the army.

But what you will get unlike the army is some of the best experiences and a huge fraternity unlike no other..
    That's what I tried to explain to him. Oh, I forgot to mention... he asked me how long the USMC bootcamp was and I told him it's 13 weeks and he tells me that's wrong and that it's 8 weeks just like the Army! Ugh. I said "Trust me, I know it's 3 months long" and he gave his "I was in, I know what i'm talking about, you're wrong" response. Also, when I told him that the Marine Corps does not hand out rank, I told him that the only way to graduate as an E-3 was to graduate company honorman at bootcamp, and he tells me that's wrong and half the recruits will be graduating at least E-4... ugh.

Well I dont know much about the army but I can say he knows as much about the Marine Corps. E-3 would be the highest you would get and only if you went in as a Pfc and was honorman and meritoriously promoted to be an E-3..

Don't even talk to the idiot any more. If he tries to talk to you it may be time to remind him that he was in the army, and that means that he doesn't know what he's talking about when it comes to the Marine Corps and that you don't feel the need to his BS.

At the very least there are 2 things you will get that the 03 bravo army guy missed out on. The title Marine (and all that goes with it). Real leadership skills. These two things will be applicable to any job in your future.

Stupid Gym Rat , tell him to f' off , and got lift some more weights eat some more steroids. Also next time ask him if when he was in the army was the saying "Be all you can be" then when he tells you yeah...then tell him your sorry thats all he could be.

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw3179
    Stupid Gym Rat , tell him to f' off , and got lift some more weights eat some more steroids. Also next time ask him if when he was in the army was the saying "Be all you can be" then when he tells you yeah...then tell him your sorry thats all he could be.
    Better be sure you can take him prior to saying that.

Wow who is this army idiot. Freaking must be crazy reading that ****ed me off I would like to meet him. I'd correct his ass in a heartbeat. Next time you see him and if he starts acting like an idiot, or whenever you see him. Please direct his ass to the nearest marine corps recruiting station. What an idiot..

meh.. that is stupid for people to even say anything. I had this guy at work who was like "join the army" and I asked him what branch he was in and he said that he hasn't even joined "yet". I asked him why to go army and he was telling me that "Marines are all one minded" and "Ignorant". I talk to people like this all the time and it gets ridiculous to listen to.

It is an intresting thing, how the Corps is the red headed step kid of the military. Everyone claims to know everything about it. Those that often speak the most of the Corps were never in it. They always claim how nothing is different from the MC and the Army infantry. How the Army can give you this and that. There is one thing.. people don't join the Marine Corps for the money or the certain MOS. They join the Corps because they want the title, they want to be a MARINE.

I could have gotten the same job in the Navy and I would have got a $40,000 bonus, but I don't want the money. I want the proud title of United States Marine.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sometimes you can educate people. Sometimes you can't.
    So, didja ask him how much money he's making as a personal trainer working at a gym? Because I bet that's what he envisioned doing when he enlisted in the Army. Nothing against personal trainers. I have one. He's awesome. But, he's also not a numbskull. Oh, and he owns the gym I work out at...

I had an educational conversation with my sister, too, because one of her co-worker's younger sisters joined the Marines without telling anyone. And she was like, "the Marines will take anyone." I am not an expert first-hand, but I have done a little reading up on the subject, so I explained to her what I know. She was open minded and listened.

So, if someone is open minded, then it's worth your time to educate them. If they're not, don't bother. I know you take a lot of pride in the fact that you've enlisted and you should. But, some people just aren't worth the time or energy.

Some people can be educated. Some can't.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Just tell him that HE'S wrong and you know different because of a VERY informative website where you talk to ACTIVE MARINES everyday (some that are 2 or 3 generations BEFORE you) - from Recruiters, DIs, Infantry, Airwingers, Admin & Cooks that don't sugar coat ANY of it for you - THEY were in the Marine Corps and THEY KNOW - and then hand him a little slip of paper with this website written on it and send him on over. (Can ya'll see the evil smirk on my face as I type this?)

Don't bow up like a little rooster at him - look him dead in the eye and say it with a smoothe, even tone. He'll leave you alone about it after he comes in here - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! He's just having a little testosterone boost in the gym.

Sh*t if he comes on to this site singing that army tune. I'll personally go over there and kick his as*. I am gonna be a truck driver for a while so i can guarantee you that I will go over there and give him a beat down... Can you notice the freaking tone in my voice.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    yeah.............it sounds like a little rooster - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thread Information