My Parents just turned TOTALLY unsupportive...
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

My Parents just turned TOTALLY unsupportive...

I just signed my 0300 contract and they now believe that "I'm too smart to go infantry" and that "I'm throwing my life away, those homeless vets you see on the corner, I bet they were infantry, that's where you'll be in 40 years."

I'm only 17, so my parents WERE supportive as they both signed me up, my dad somewhat more than my mom, but they were both okay about it. They now feel like I lied to them because at the time I was going to go as an 0231 (Intelligence), but I want to be a grunt. I've always wanted to see action. I've always wanted to be the guy who gets stuff done.

They don't understand that.

So now I keep getting threats they're going to dis-zone (dis-own?) me and kick me out when I graduate (a full month before I ship off) then they're threatening to make stuff up and call the Red Cross and try to get my recruit training delayed by sending me to fake funerals and stuff. They even said they would have no problem sending 10 blank envelopes a day just to depress me for three months if it hurt my chances of earning the title. Oh yeah, they also said they'd send me really depressing letters, stuff like my sister dieing (they actually said that!) or the house burning down or my parents getting a divorce.

All because I chose infantry!

I mean, what the freak? They're saying all this under the guise "We're saving your life", but what's my life if I spend it living someone elses? This is my life, and I'm going to do what I want to do. They don't understand that. They actually believe that I want infantry because I'm suicidal or something.

Every time I talk about the future like my wedding or something like that, I get a "If you're alive" comment from one of them.

No joke, I mean this as the Gospel's truth. My mom has stopped cooking as much dinner as she used to, and buying as much groceries, so I won't be able to get stronger (and hence fail boot). She told me this after I asked why I got about 1/2 a plate of spaghetti for dinner one day.

I mean freaking seriously. This is ridiculous! All because of infantry!!!

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Well hey, you got a un-intended head start being a man for yourself. If they are serious of kicking you out, you best get a job and start saving some cash.

You have any Grand Parents or Uncles or Aunts still around?

2 Grandmothers, and an aunt and uncle that would let me live with them no doubt, even for a month.

But, I don't want it to come to that. I mean, what 18 year old kid wants to be kicked out for fighting for his country? To get insulted by stranger hippy groups is one thing, to get death wishes by your parents????

Oh, and I have a job. And they're friends with my manager whom they're trying to make me a Retail Parts Pro (sort of like an assistant manager, pretty high position, especially for only being 17. Even have a key to the place)

Like being an assistant manager to an auto parts store would even remotely compare on the slightest to being a Marine.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    No doubt it sucks. Basic needs of food, clothing and shelter are a constant. You have to improvise adapt and overcome to provide this for yourself.

Perhaps your folks will change their mind. It still a very good idea to prepare for the worse situation.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Dude, i went through the same thing with my parents when i told them that i wanted to go 0300. My dad flipped out. before i signed the contract my dad actually told my recruiters to get the F*ck out of his house and threw them out. It took 6 months of badgering my dad every single day before he would sign the parental consent form. He only did it under the condition that i was guaranteed avionics. My recruiter got me avionics and my dad chilled out and signed the form. Then on my ship date at MEPS i had them change me back to infantry. I dont ever regret it. I didnt join the corps for job skills or college money etc. i wanted to get some... LOL

It all worked out. Dont worry your parents will chill out. They just have to get used to the idea of you dying for awhile. lol

Anyway congrats on going 0300.

It is the infantryman who liberated the Jews from Nazi Germany, it is the infantryman who raised the flag on Iwo Jima. When all options have been exercised and diplomacy fails, it is ultimately the infantryman who carries out U.S. foreign policy and gets the job done.

Guaranteed your parents will be there on graduation day and probably be the proudest ones there.

Quote Originally Posted by Accord
    It is the infantryman who liberated the Jews from Nazi Germany, it is the infantryman who raised the flag on Iwo Jima. When all options have been exercised and diplomacy fails, it is ultimately the infantryman who carries out U.S. foreign policy and gets the job done.

Guaranteed your parents will be there on graduation day and probably be the proudest ones there.
    You took the words right outta my mouth! This man's absolutely right

It's a hard switch for a parent to go from what they "think" their child will be doing "safely" in the Corps, not realizing that every Marine is a Marine a marksman a hard charger. Doesn't matter whether you're in intelligence, avionics, ordinance, the band...doesn't matter...you *will* see time in the litter box...cause that's what Marines do.

Your parents are struggling with that, much as I did when my daughter entered the Corps. They'll come around...and if not...well kid, sometimes, as much as is sucks...that title comes with a high price.

Your in my prayers.

I bet your parents wont do it,there just upset now but they'll come around.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Accord,

I am little confused on the information in your profile son. You are 21 in your profile or are 17? Suqare that sh** away. Now that I have that off my chest. If your parents were going to do something they would have done it. Half rations, and stuff like that just a tactic. I would not have been kicked out of somebody's house when invited. Keep us posted if possible.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    They're just being parents - they probably have the mindset that infantry = front line - first one in, blah, blah, blah...............they're just being parents. Since you have a job - take care of your own dinner and show them that you can take care of yourself. Even if they do go through the Red Cross when you get there - don't worry - the Red Cross has probably had plenty of parents do this before and you won't get pulled out for just a phone call.

Just let them know that you love them and you're going to do this with or without their blessing. Trust me, on graduation day, both of them will forget about this little fight and will be busting at the seams with pride. Also you'll be showing them that you're becoming a man.

Good luck............

I can totally relate to your parents right now. When my son told me he had enlisted, I totally lost it! "ANYTHING BUT THE MARINES"!!!! I had only month to get used to the idea after he told us he signed up.

I spent that month doing a lot of praying and reading. My son is 19 and had no real direction in his life. He did college for a couple of months and hated it. He had always said he thought the military would be cool. He worked in a shipyard for 6 months with some Marines and retired Navy guys and got more and more serious about the Marine Corps. The way he described it to me is that every Marine he got to know was still proud and didn't regret their decision to serve. He told me that no matter what else happened in his life, he would always be able to be proud of his service to his country. Little by little I've come around and I am extremely proud of his decision!

As a side, the Red Cross will do nothing to help your parents without proof of the illness, death, etc. I am a nurse and have had to provide information many times for families to bring loved ones home for those occassions. The Red Cross verifies everything.

Give your parents the link to this website and others like RecruitParents.com. The pride is contagious and the Marines here are great at helping us parents throught Boot Camp and later.

I'm not going to say being a parent is easy. I'm sitting here crying because I haven't gotten my first real letter from my recruit. I can say I am anxiously waiting to see the MAN and the Marine he will become. If he is anything like the Marines I have met so far on here, I wouldn't be any prouder if he was a doctor, lawyer, etc.

I'm rambling now, but take care of yourself.

You're in my prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by GySgtRet
    I am little confused on the information in your profile son. You are 21 in your profile or are 17? Suqare that sh** away. Now that I have that off my chest. If your parents were going to do something they would have done it. Half rations, and stuff like that just a tactic. I would not have been kicked out of somebody's house when invited. Keep us posted if possible.
    My profile says I am 17. My post says I'm 17. I'm 17.

Accord's profile says he is 21. He is 21.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My parents did the same thing, and I wrote a post about it. People on this site are so awesome as you already know, and they helped me out a lot with this problem. You just have to remember that you are doing the right thing, doing any "job" in the Marine Corps will never be the wrong thing to do. Since August, when I signed my contract(thought I was going reserve and they said I couldn't join unless I went active duty) my parents have gotten used to the idea. They are even planning their trip out to see me graduate(I don't even leave until January). Someone gave me the best advice here, I think it was Mama, that my parents need MY support just as much as I need theirs. This is a hard thing for parents to handle. I prayed about, and I feel like this is what I am being called to do, so I was just patient with my parents. Do the same, and support them as well, and they'll come around. If they don't, it's their loss because they should be very proud of you!!!

As for the moto mail, I know everyone on this site will write you letters if you need us too!!

Keep your head up and just remember the reasons why you enlisted in the first place!!!

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    When do you ship out?

Thread Information