Any 5th MEB "Cuban Missile Veterans Here"
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings

Question Any 5th MEB "Cuban Missile Veterans Here"

Forty-four years ago October, 1962... 5,000 in country Marines were defending Guantanamo Bay Naval Base.

In country enemy soldiers: 47,000 Russians and 200,000 Cuban and they couldn't get away from us, we had a 'Naval Blockade' around the island and not even a rat could get through !

So what if there were many more Soviet nuclear weapons in Cuba than the CIA believed, including dozens of tactical weapons whose primary purpose was to forestall an American invasion. There were no physical controls over the weapons and no guarantees that they would not be used as part of a desperate last stand.

We had nukes too ! They pink mist us, we pink mist them !

SF

Bravo Battery, 1st Battalion, 11th Marines, 1st Marine Division, 1st Lieutenant Skordis Commanding, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, October-November 1962

10th

I was there. Comm Plt, H&S Co, 1/5, aboard the USS Noble, APA-218. By the way, I was the Comm Chief of B/1/11 in Vietnam seven years later, in 1969.

Your post is pretty old, so I don't know if you'll get this. This month makes the 50th anniversary of the shindig.

Thread Information