Semper Fi,

I was at Fuji with 2/4 on the lower base camp. I am new to this site but very happy to see recall of other marines that were there in 1979. I have some pretty good recall of events of that day. I also have some before and after pictures.
One of my most vivid memories of that day is of a Japanese national that was submerged (drainage ditch) in the jet fuel/water mix that the ruptured bladder and typhoon produced. As I stopped another marine came up from behind an jumped into the ditch to hand her up to me. She was still very much alive a the moment but as I grabbed her to pull her up she tried to get her footing and generated enough friction to ignite her from head to toe. After we dragged and rolled her we stopped the flames. There was a Japanese civilian vehicle trying to exit on that road and we turned her over to them to get her a hospital. I don't know if she lived or not.
I would like more communication if there are any interested survivors. The view of Mt. Fuji from that quansit hut city can not be given justice with words! It is truly amazing the hell that destroyed that training base. The fire produced heat hot enough to melt M-60 spare barrels. Many brave marines on that day. But what a hopeless situation! Most the marines assigned to the lower camp were in their hut due to the typhoon that was blowing thru.

Steve Holmes
2/4 - 0311/1979