PLC/92-Day Reserve Rundown - Page 5
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    It's Marine Corps with an S.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by COFields View Post
    Is it a better option to go for NROTC? And how does that work? I've been out of high school for a little over a year now and I ship out January. Plan to be a Marine Corp Pilot... Can i still do NROTC? Or should I just go with PLC?

I am currently a college Jr. and thinking about doing the 92 day reservist program. I completed PLC Jrs this past summer. My question is if I undergo this program what will happen next? this would be the ideal timeline for me:

Summer 09: Parris Island
    Fall-Winter 09-10: School and drill
    Summer 10: MCT and or MOS School and or PLC Srs?
    Fall 10: Finish up school (I'm on 4.5 year plan) and drill
    Winter, spring, summer: TBS

My question is, has anyone heard of or know what would happen to someone in my situation, attempting to do the 92 day program after completing Jrs? Would I be able to go to PI and then Srs like my timeline says or would I have to do OCS again? If I do have to do OCS again would I have to wait until after my 4 year enlisted commitment?

tkmayfie -

If you've already done the PLC Jrs, you have to have been contracted. Enlisting will void this contract. If you enlist, your enlistment obligations supersede everything else. If you want to go back to OCS, I believe you will have to do everything again including compete for a slot, contract, etc. and you will have to do Jrs again (if you do Jrs and Srs.) or do PLC-C or OCC(if anyone knows better please correct me.) You will not be able to simply attend PLC Srs and then accept a commission. However, you shouldn't be looking at these details to formulate your plan. If you want to serve in the United States Marine Corps as an Officer, finish college and the PLC program. If you want to serve as an enlisted Marine, enlist.

If you're one of those candidates who simply cannot deal with the fact that you are not officially a Marine until you finish college and accept the commission, than you're either doing things for the wrong reasons or WAY too anxious. Make sure you're considering this for the right reasons.

Here is my situation:
    I am set to leave on May 11, 2009 for MCRDPI and I am split-program reserve. I have recently decided that it would be easier to take my next semester off and leave in January to complete camp and my job school then come back to school for the fall semester and apply for PLC. My recruiter does not see any problems with this at the moment and I was wondering if anyone would know any information on doing this.
    Thank You,
    Thompson

I'm new to the forum but have absorbed as much of the present info as I can! Thanks for pre-emptively answering many of the questions I had.

I'm a recent grad (this past spring) and am feeling too 'soft' as a teacher and need a change. My brother and I are both planning to train this summer and apply for OCS in October.

My question: I was browsing the list of MOS's and was focusing on the intel spots. I'm aware of the MOS selection process and was curious (for those who have gone through this OR others) which spots get snapped up the quickest. At this point, my first choice would probably be 0203 Ground Intelligence. I see there are 3 slots in the top 1/3. How quickly do those 3 tend to go?

Thanks in advance!

I see a lot of people posting that they are using the Reserves as a stepping stone to become an Officer of Marines. I don't want to be a killjoy or anything but I want to bring up two points about going this route.

1. Your Reserve command will have to sign off on your PLC application. So if you don't want to be making any bad impressions at your Reserve unit. Even more importantly you want to make a outstanding impression.

2. Don't take the step of enlisting if you aren't completly serious about being an enlisted Marine. Many things can happen in the four years before you graduate. If for whatever reason you decline your commission or are unable to accept it for various reasons - you still will have to complete your enlisted contract.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorT3533 View Post
    I see a lot of people posting that they are using the Reserves as a stepping stone to become an Officer of Marines. I don't want to be a killjoy or anything but I want to bring up two points about going this route.

1. Your Reserve command will have to sign off on your PLC application. So if you don't want to be making any bad impressions at your Reserve unit. Even more importantly you want to make a outstanding impression.

2. Don't take the step of enlisting if you aren't completly serious about being an enlisted Marine. Many things can happen in the four years before you graduate. If for whatever reason you decline your commission or are unable to accept it for various reasons - you still will have to complete your enlisted contract.
    I'll add one...

3. Your needs/wants become second to the the needs of your unit and the Marine Corps once you enlist. That includes PLC/OCC, school, girlfriends, boyfreinds, parents, and everything else. I have a buddy (92 dayer) from OCS who was all set to take his commission in May that is deployed to Afghanistan right now.

I'll be graduating/commissioning in May and the 92 day option has worked for me, but I am the exception not the rule. If you want to be an Officer of Marines then work with your OSO to prepare for OCS.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    In regards to the above, it's worth adding that the new regulations prohibit the deployment of OCS complete SMCR reservists awaiting their commission, however, they are required to continue drilling until they receive their commission.

In regards to the above, it's worth adding that the new regulations prohibit the deployment of OCS complete SMCR reservists awaiting their commission, however, they are required to continue drilling until they receive their commission.
    Sir - is this for those who have graduated college and OCS? The reason I ask is because we have a Marine deploying with us this year who is finished with OCS and in his last semester of school.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorT3533 View Post
    Sir - is this for those who have graduated college and OCS? The reason I ask is because we have a Marine deploying with us this year who is finished with OCS and in his last semester of school.
    He's referring to all reservists that are candidates who are OCS complete (Jr/Srs or PLC-C) and still have to graduate. While they are finishing up their senior year they drill but are not deployable. I'm rowing this boat as we speak. However, 2 buddies from OCS are in A-Stan as we speak so it still happens.

Hey I am new to these forums as well and after reading through the thread would like to clarify a few things and ask a few questions of my own.

First off, I am just a High School Graduate who is interested in becoming a 92-Day Reservist and eventually applying for PLC.

Although I was previously accepted to a university, I decided to back out and de-enroll as I felt I was making a mistake going there and not the Marines. Now that I have my goals all set out and ready, I'd like to start over.

1. Do do the 92-Day Program, do you already have to be accepted to a 4 Year University/College?
    2. Once one is in the 92-Day Program as well as PLC, he stated that you cannot be deployed if you do not wish to as PLC sort of "overrides" your unit's duties in the reserve. I read things confirming this in this thread for the most part but I'd just like to make sure.

I would just go straight to the PLC program once enrolled college but I really want the experience of boot camp and being a soldier in the United States Marine Corps before becoming an Officer. However, like others, I do not want to be deployed while in college no matter what my MOS is. This isn't to avoid my duties as a reservist, it's to continue my plan of becoming an Officer without interruption.

Thanks in advance.

-Zach

Sorry for the double post but I guess you can't edit posts here.

I was also curiosu when I should contact my OSO. Should I do it now as a guide or should I wait till I'm in college?

Quote Originally Posted by solodude23 View Post
    Hey I am new to these forums as well and after reading through the thread would like to clarify a few things and ask a few questions of my own.

First off, I am just a High School Graduate who is interested in becoming a 92-Day Reservist and eventually applying for PLC.

Although I was previously accepted to a university, I decided to back out and de-enroll as I felt I was making a mistake going there and not the Marines. Now that I have my goals all set out and ready, I'd like to start over.

1. Do do the 92-Day Program, do you already have to be accepted to a 4 Year University/College?
    2. Once one is in the 92-Day Program as well as PLC, he stated that you cannot be deployed if you do not wish to as PLC sort of "overrides" your unit's duties in the reserve. I read things confirming this in this thread for the most part but I'd just like to make sure.

I would just go straight to the PLC program once enrolled college but I really want the experience of boot camp and being a soldier in the United States Marine Corps before becoming an Officer. However, like others, I do not want to be deployed while in college no matter what my MOS is. This isn't to avoid my duties as a reservist, it's to continue my plan of becoming an Officer without interruption.

Thanks in advance.

-Zach
    1. You absolutley have to be enrolled in a 4 year accredited university in order to be accepted.
    2. Yes you are not deployable as a 92 dayer until:
    A. you've completed MOS/MCT/SOI
    B. or if you're accpeted into the PLC program

However, there is now a MCO that states a reservist can NOT be accepted into the PLC program until that Marine has completed all training in the reserves and been with their unit for at least one year. Until you complete both of those requirements an OSO can't touch you.

Also, if you're so adamant about not being deployed while you're in school then I would not enlist. Reservists get activated frequently regardless of their own personal wants/desires. Joining the reserves solely as a springboard for OCS is not a good route. If you enlist your goal of becoming an officer could easily be pushed back 1 to 2 years.

If you want to be a Marine enlist. If you want to be an officer join the PLC program. From my own personal experience, two years in a reserve unit will not help you become a better officer.

Also, Marines are not soldiers. They're Marines.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by grodunt View Post
    1. You absolutley have to be enrolled in a 4 year accredited university in order to be accepted.
    2. Yes you are not deployable as a 92 dayer until:
    A. you've completed MOS/MCT/SOI
    B. or if you're accpeted into the PLC program

However, there is now a MCO that states a reservist can NOT be accepted into the PLC program until that Marine has completed all training in the reserves and been with their unit for at least one year. Until you complete both of those requirements an OSO can't touch you.

Also, if you're so adamant about not being deployed while you're in school then I would not enlist. Reservists get activated frequently regardless of their own personal wants/desires. Joining the reserves solely as a springboard for OCS is not a good route. If you enlist your goal of becoming an officer could easily be pushed back 1 to 2 years.

If you want to be a Marine enlist. If you want to be an officer join the PLC program. From my own personal experience, two years in a reserve unit will not help you become a better officer.

Also, Marines are not soldiers. They're Marines.

Best of luck.
    Thank you I appreciate the quick reply.

The main reason I am interested in enlisting is purely because I do want to be Marine. Not want to for leverage to become an Officer, I want to purely because for the experience of it.

However, my overall goal is in fact to become an officer. I feel I am ready now as I am to be a leader. I believe in myself 100% so my interest in enlisting is purely to be a Marine. In that, I even want to be deployed.

I recently had a plan to enlist in the USMCR for a year and attend college Fall 2010 but I now understand that would unlikely happen in the timeframe.

Thread Information