PLC/92-Day Reserve Rundown - Page 3
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rvillac2
    Ok, a Sergeant's foremost duty is to correct young PFC's. So, here's the scoop.

There are Marine artillery units in Iraq. All from the active duty regiments and only a very few batteries at that.

Artillery reservists are not likely to deploy to Iraq AS ARTILLERY. However, you are still Marines and every Marine will get into the fight according to CMC. The 5th Battalion 14 Marine Artillery Regiment (Reserve) deployed in 2004 as detention companies. Not everyone went, but those that did went as Marines who pulled guard duty, construction/engineer duty, and IED locating duties (this was a joke).

No Reserve Marines will deploy unless they have graduated from their MOS school. This means that 92day'ers that have only completed Recruit Training are not eligible to be deployed. However, once they complete their training in the 2nd summer, they are deployable just like everyone else.

Reserve Marines who are PLC candidates are simply Reserve Marines. PLC is a program that lets college students attend OCS in stages. They are on active duty during those stages but are then discharged afterwards. They are not under any contract. If they are ALSO reservists, they are obligated to their Reserve contract and deployable. A college senior may REQUEST to be excused from deployment if they are very close to graduating and declare their intention to receive their commission and enter into a service contract. They would only be excused from duty if the command approves and they do so on a case by case basis.

Sergeant...respectfully I'd dare to correct you that a PLC Candidate's obligation to the Marine Officer Program takes precedence over his obligation to his reserve unit.

If you have already been selected by a selection board, you are NON-DEPLOYABLE unless you volunteer to activate.

You still have to drill (it used to be they let you drop into IRR but you cant do that anymore) but you are exempt from deployment overseas.

The Marine Corps is in dire need of new 2nd Lieutenants. More so than they need an extra Lance Corporal in Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by JCam0331
    Sergeant...respectfully I'd dare to correct you that a PLC Candidate's obligation to the Marine Officer Program takes precedence over his obligation to his reserve unit.

If you have already been selected by a selection board, you are NON-DEPLOYABLE unless you volunteer to activate.

You still have to drill (it used to be they let you drop into IRR but you cant do that anymore) but you are exempt from deployment overseas.

The Marine Corps is in dire need of new 2nd Lieutenants. More so than they need an extra Lance Corporal in Iraq.
    I humbly stand corrected. This is a change from my time in. Thanks for setting me straight JCam. Semper Fi.

Prior Service Question any insight

I'm considering rejoining the Marine Corps. I hope someone could clear up some questions for me. My stats: MOS 0311 1993 to 1997 honorable discharge RE-A1 reenlistment code. 33 years old married with one child do I have any chance of reenlisting?

However, I do have one hang up. When I first graduated college in December 2004 I almost rejoined the Marine Corps. I had my reenlistment package in my hand and was at MEPS. When I found out the recruiter was a "S-Bag." I was going over the package with the Gunny and things were wrong. He listed my Primary MOS incorrectly he put that I was in supply. He also pulled a fast one on me and none of my top three MOS choices were listed they were completely different. He did not include that I graduated college or mentioned my degree. I told the Gunny that I felt like I was stepping on my own foot - I change the wording to protect the innocent.

I understand that I'm not eligible for OCS because of my age even though the Marine Corps according to the new Order I read on the Marine Reserve website is allowing PFC's with 75 credit hours to transfer to active reserve and go to OCS. However, I'm I eligible to reenlist even though I turned down the first reenlistment package? Would I be eligible for any bonus? Would I retain my rank of Corporal? What would be my average bring home pay with dependents? Also would I be able to stay 0311?

I love the Marine Corps. But, I'm finding that "Once a Marine Always a Marine." This seems to only apply to the Marine themselves not to the great Marine Corps. I'm a little disappointed with that fact. I love lace w:st="on">Camp Lejeunelace> and the Marine Corps and I am trying to get a few answers before making any decisions. Because I have a wife and daughter now and this decision directly affects them.

I have also spoke with a Army Recruiter who was every help to me and indicated that I would be eligible for OCS. However, I can not put my arms around being in the army and I need to exhaust all of my avenues before weighing my options and making any decision. Because the most important thing to me right now is once again serving my country, being a good dad, and loving my wife. So, if anyone has any suggestions please give me some input because of my age I'm running out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew330
    I'm considering rejoining the Marine Corps. I hope someone could clear up some questions for me. My stats: MOS 0311 1993 to 1997 honorable discharge RE-A1 reenlistment code. 33 years old married with one child do I have any chance of reenlisting?

However, I do have one hang up. When I first graduated college in December 2004 I almost rejoined the Marine Corps. I had my reenlistment package in my hand and was at MEPS. When I found out the recruiter was a "S-Bag." I was going over the package with the Gunny and things were wrong. He listed my Primary MOS incorrectly he put that I was in supply. He also pulled a fast one on me and none of my top three MOS choices were listed they were completely different. He did not include that I graduated college or mentioned my degree. I told the Gunny that I felt like I was stepping on my own foot - I change the wording to protect the innocent.

I understand that I'm not eligible for OCS because of my age even though the Marine Corps according to the new Order I read on the Marine Reserve website is allowing PFC's with 75 credit hours to transfer to active reserve and go to OCS. However, I'm I eligible to reenlist even though I turned down the first reenlistment package? Would I be eligible for any bonus? Would I retain my rank of Corporal? What would be my average bring home pay with dependents? Also would I be able to stay 0311?

I love the Marine Corps. But, I'm finding that "Once a Marine Always a Marine." This seems to only apply to the Marine themselves not to the great Marine Corps. I'm a little disappointed with that fact. I love lace w:st="on">Camp Lejeunelace> and the Marine Corps and I am trying to get a few answers before making any decisions. Because I have a wife and daughter now and this decision directly affects them.

I have also spoke with a Army Recruiter who was every help to me and indicated that I would be eligible for OCS. However, I can not put my arms around being in the army and I need to exhaust all of my avenues before weighing my options and making any decision. Because the most important thing to me right now is once again serving my country, being a good dad, and loving my wife. So, if anyone has any suggestions please give me some input because of my age I'm running out of time.
    sir, I gave you a rudimentary response in the "Ask a Marine" forum. I hope someone more knowledgable can answer your question better. Semper Fi and God Bless

Just a little correction- I don't think you need to be done with your MOS school NECESSARILY.

For example My unit's deploying in June as a provisional security battalion, everybody's basically going as a grunt regardless of MOS. I'm a 92-day reservist, an Admin bubba. I finish the school year just in time to go to MCT training- then deploy with the rest of the unit.

Just putting that out there, it says it right in your contract- If they need you they can and will pull you. I know a lot of 92 dayers that looked like they were about to cry the day they found out. You can't be a Marine and not do Marine things.

92 Day Reservists

Hello. I'm a new member but I've been reading posts on here for about a year now. I am currently in college and am seriously considering the PLC course. The reserves to PLC is a new option to me and I was wondering if there was an amount of time that you had to wait after Boot Camp to apply/join the PLC program. Thanks for all your help,

--Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mdlangley
    Hello. I'm a new member but I've been reading posts on here for about a year now. I am currently in college and am seriously considering the PLC course. The reserves to PLC is a new option to me and I was wondering if there was an amount of time that you had to wait after Boot Camp to apply/join the PLC program. Thanks for all your help,

--Michael
    No wait at all. Talk to the OSO (officer selection officer) in your area ASAP. A recruiter can help you get in touch with an OSO but his main goal is to get you to enlist an OSO's goal is to screen potential candidates for a commission in the USMC. Good luck.

Really? That's great! You just made my decision alot easier. Thank you guys for all your help! Here's to becoming a United States Marine (soon I hope).

--Michael

Just updating here on what my future unit's Gunnery Sergeant told me when I came in with another 92-dayer to conduct our reserve interviews. We're both going in as 0311s, so your milage may vary with having a split of MCT and MOS school as opposed to us going to ITB.

My fellow poolee was still confused after the interview even though the Gunnery Sergeant broke it down to us Barney style with a whiteboard. For high school seniors going for an infantry job as a 92 dayer:

Highschool Senior Summer: Go to boot camp as normal.

Freshmen summer of college
    : PLC Juniors

Sophomore summer of college
    : SOI/ITB

Junior summer of college: PLC Seniors

Senior summer of college: Graduate college, get commissioned, look forward to TBS.

This means that you won't be doing an AT (2 week drill) in your college years.

The Gunnery Sergeant told us me that going in as a 92 day split option for PLC, I would NOT be deployed with the rest of the unit, and that the several months I'd spend drilling with a deployed unit would be very strange with almost everyone else gone and a minimal staff holding fort.

My fellow poolee's slightly different, because he's already enrolled in college. With 75 college credits, he could go for OCS, get commissioned, but never be able to get promoted past O-3. To have the oppertunity to go beyond Captain, he'd have to finish college first and go OCC.

Again, your milage may vary, you may want to get in contact with your recruiter, the career planner at your future reserve unit, and OSO to draw a better picture of where you'll be heading if you want to take a shot at OCS.

Great read. I'm doing the 135 day reservist option..already have a degree, I just want to get the experience of bootcamp and go into OCS as a Marine already. I'm looking at trying to attend OCC-200 in January '09!

Quote Originally Posted by jsk02a
    Great read. I'm doing the 135 day reservist option..already have a degree, I just want to get the experience of bootcamp and go into OCS as a Marine already. I'm looking at trying to attend OCC-200 in January '09!
    Good luck. When do you ship to boot?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Cool

I loved this post, I ship to PI. on May 19th. I am a Freshmen in college and I want to make a career as an officer in the Marine Corps once I obtain a college degree. I am going to MCRD first becasue I feel (and have been told by many Marines) that I cannot best lead enlisted men until I have walked in their shoes. I respect either or any variation of the paths to engaging in the United States Armed Forces, as long as that man or woman is decent and brave enough to support their country.

Particularly in times where it is so easy for people to put down everything, including ourcountry and those who protect it.

If anyone ever has any questions about officer programs I'll be happy to help. I ship to OCS this summer (29 MAY) for PLC-C and will be back around 10 AUG.

I am in the PLC program, but only a freshman in college so i elected to go to boot camp May through August 2008, and will be reserves through OCS each summer until I graduate from college and take my commission. All this to ask if there are any current enlisted Marines or officers who can offer advice on what makes a good officer, and maybe some characteristics of bad officers. By enlisting in college, I hope to get some experience under officers before becoming one.

Thread Information