MECEP competition
Create Post

MECEP competition

Hello Marines,

I'm looking into enlisting first as a 0651 and later earning my commission through the MECEP program rather than going through NROTC. I hear Mustangs make better officers anyway, so I feel it makes sense as a career move as I plan to be in the Marines for at least twenty years--I would like to know what my enlisted men have been through and what it is like to live as them, in order to more effectively relate to them and lead them. The problem is, I've heard horror stories about how hard it is to get into the MECEP program, so I'm a little distraught. Just how hard is it, really, to get into the MECEP program? Also, how much do you think my academic records will help?

SAT: 1270 (math + verbal)
    GPA: 3.8 right now with AP weighting.
    Currently taking four AP courses.
    Halfway finished with two recommended certifications for my MOS.

I'm aware that they check the whole person (rifle scores, PFT, performance in general, etc.) but based on that alone, do you think I stand a chance against other highly qualified Marines?

What? No edit button?
    Anyway, I should probably add that I'm going to attempt to compete for MECEP as soon as two years in the Marine Corps and take a few college courses every semester in the meantime to make myself more competitive, and attempt to perhaps become a MCMAP instructor. (I love my martial arts.)

EDIT: And now the edit button appears--for my second post. :/

Your scores look good, I know of people that made it with far worse school scores. Of course, a big part is how you ct as a Marine. If you're not one of the best Marines around, you won't have a chance. You should have a great PFT and rifle score, do all of the MCI's you can, ensure your education is documented each semester, strive to have high PRO/CON marks, and be the best at your job. If you can't get those things done, it doesn't matter if you've got a 4.0 GPA and a 1600 on the SAT.

Excellent. I expected I would have to work towards it by proving myself in the enlisted ranks, so that's fine by me. I'll do the best job I can. Thank you very much!

Thread Information