Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Army tones down drill sergeants...

Oct 10, 6:19 PM EDT

Army tones down drill sergeants

By PAULINE JELINEK
    Associated Press Writer

AP Photo/MARY ANN CHASTAIN

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Hollywood may have to tone down its portrayal of the military's screaming, in-your-face boot camp drill sergeant. In today's Army, shouting is out and a calmer approach to molding young minds is in, says the head of Pentagon personnel. The Army says it has reduced by nearly 7 percent the number of recruits who wash out in the first six to 12 months of military life.

"Part of it is changing the nature of how it treats people in basic training," David S. Chu, undersecretary for personnel and readiness, said Tuesday.

That means "less shouting at everyone, in essence, which some of you may remember from an earlier generation as being the modus operandi," he said.

The changes started about a year ago, as defense officials looked for ways to make drillmasters more effective, said Lt. Col. Mike Jones, head of Army National Guard recruiting.

He said the old way was to "talk loud, talk often, get their attention" - shock treatment to teach discipline and mold the newly recruited civilian into a soldier.

But trainers found today's generation responded better to instructors who took "a more counseling" type role, Jones said, using strong tactics when needed but keeping them the exception instead of the rule.

The approach has had two positive results, he said: It has lowered attrition among those who go through training each year and has eased one of the greatest fears of recruits - their fear over whether they can make it through basic training.

Other changes aimed at improving graduation rates include such things as letting recruits with injuries or minor medical problems remain in the service, heal, and then go back to training. Before, an injury would have meant discharge, training officials said.

Numbers differ from service to service and depend on what the recruit is being trained for. Those training to be Navy SEALS or other special forces may wash out at the rate of 70 percent. Those training to be truck drivers may have an 80 percent graduation rate.

But Chu said that across all services, generally, some two-thirds of recruits finish their enlistment period - typically three or four years.

Of the third who don't make it, half bomb out in the first six to 12 months, Chu said, adding that the attrition rate is better than most private sector firms.

Keeping a balance in the number flushed out of the service is important. Too many dropouts and you lose people you really want to keep. Too few dropouts, and you are keeping people you should have let go, Chu said.

Both the military and police academies are moving away from harder-edged approaches to training, he said.

"However much it may be satisfying from the shouter's perspective, it really isn't the best way to shape young people for the future," Chu said.

He made the comments as he announced that all active duty services had met their recruiting goals for the budget year ended Sept. 30. The Marine Corps Reserve met its goal and the Air Force Reserve exceeded its goal, but they were exceptions among guard and reserve forces, some of which have seen "heavy use" due to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Chu said.

---

On the Net:

Army Training and Doctrine Command: http://www.tradoc.army.mil

I can hear the bark of the Drill Sergeants in my mind---

"Hey everyone, it's time to fall-in, ok?"

I know that this is Army but I would like to hear from some current or resent Marines on this one. (I know how you salts feel about this one---lol.) Do you think that stress in boot is a positive or a negative? I have always thought that boot was the place to learn to function as a team under stress.

MCRD SD April 1967! Stress? Can't become a Marine without it! The army ain't the Corps but military is military! It's all about teamwork and following orders without thinking about was the order right or wrong! That will get you killed in a combat situation!

Good Grief!
    Of course the attrition rate has dropped.
    I thought the point of Recruit Training (Adventure camp for Army) was to weed out the non-hackers, not placate them.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    I thought part the reason for a Drill Instructor's harsh directness is the time factor. Training 60-80 high school kids does not afford time to hand hold.

If the Army can do it with more Drill Sergeants and maybe more basic trainees stepping up, good on them.

I wonder what percentage of our Marines at any given moment are, or already have been, deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. Thank our ruthless Drill Instructors that prepare them.

This revolutionary change in Army training could make "hostile warfare" a thing of the past!
    Just imagine, one drill sargeant for each Army recruit. In a quiet, library-like setting, each recruit reports to their 'cubicle' for clases. The gut-wrenching terror of warfare is 'explained' to each young recruit. They are told that life in the field, is 'not easy.' Their marksmanship training is done via a modern video game.
    Then when they reach the combat area of operations, they understand that all they have to do is sit down with the enemy, over a couple glasses of milk and some cookies. Then they can quietly discuss the problems, and work toward a solution, where everyone has a warm fuzzy feeling. Then, the enemy kills the U.S. Army soldier.
    I'll take the good old Marine Corps recruit training....any day!

Semper Fi

By going softer in bootcamp is just going to lead to undisiplined soldiers and thats going to lead to casualties. THANK GOD FOR THE CORPS

More soldiers will die in combat as a result.........

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I would like to hear what the Drill Sergeants opinions on this are lol.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    To this day, forty years after the fact, the ice cold fear of my Drill Instructors will not let me refer to them as "DI"s. The screams of Senior Drill Instructor SSgt. Gruber and the rapid application of boot or baton by Jr. Drill Instructor Sgt.s Morrow and Alston got me through my first and last run at PI. Had they chosen to discuss training I think I would have opted for civilian. But when I got that"Vulture, Hook and Eightball", I knew I had earned something! Why not just give these kids an army hat and a pair of boots and call them "Sojer", toss in a box of medals and they will compare with the best of any army in South America. The army trains boys and girls together so what do you expect? I would venture to say that WMs at PI are more ill treated than these trainees the army is conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by RAGINGRHINO
    By going softer in bootcamp is just going to lead to undisiplined soldiers and thats going to lead to casualties. THANK GOD FOR THE CORPS
    Agree! We're forgetting the adage - "the more you sweat in peace the less you bleed in war".

Hope we're not setting ourselves up for a loss the next time the balloon goes up.

As the Marine Corps birthday looms closer and I thinkof the brothers I lost in Vietnam and the young Brothers lost since then-what the hell is the Army thinking? What a bunch of sissies that are making policy and it won't be them that pays it will be the new breed of soldiers that will suffer.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    yeah, and instead of getting IPTd when you F up - you get "time out" - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! They better send them in after us...............

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    You see this on sports teams today, the “Player’s Coach”. I challenge you to look at the most successful programs and find a “touchy, feely” coach.

The problem with this analogy is that these coaches are competing for trophies and NOT LIVES (American Lives)!!!!!!

All you Active Drill Instructors just keep doing what you are doing because I for one am placing my son’s life in your hands.

Credits
    Savings
    I do not know about all of you, training is one thing, but anybody that abuses, uses or plays me for a fool , had better ****** grow eyes in the back of their head. That is me…too GD touchy, and I do not forget!

Thread Information