Prior Service Options
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prior Service Options

I am a prior service marine and was trying to get back in. I contacted a local recruiter who told me that the CO for the recruiting district denied my request because of my rank (E3 because my MOS was closed off for a LONG TIME!). I tried several other recruiters and even a PSR who all basically said the same thing or never got back to me. SO, I joined the Army to pickup rank in hopes to get back into the Marines.

Does anyone know of how I can get back to the marines after I complete my 2 years? Or does anyone know an email address of a recruiter who might be able to help? (One with a miracle might help if they can get me out of this army thing!)

go to open sqaud bay forum ....
    from the home page of this site....
    look in o.s.b for thread......
    "Will Prior Service Ever Be Recalled.....
    hope this helps

first, you need to contact a Prior Service Recruiter, not just your average local hometown recruiter. There are not many around. I know mine covered all of west and central texas, all of new mexico, parts of oklahoma, parts of arizona, and a tiny corner of colorado. 5 states, 1 recruiter. There are only like 10 in the entire United States. Where are you located at?
    Secondly, after you find out where your recruiting district is and who you contact, you will need to mail the recruiter your dd214 w/ reenlistment code. Even if you are 300 miles away from a prior service recruiter, they will still work with you because they have goals to make just like regular recruiters. If you have trouble finding out who your prior service recuiter is and where he is located, let me know, I'll do my best to find out for you if you really are serious about comming back.

yeah i spoke w/ the prior service recruiters both here and at camp lejeune. they both said that they were mostly recruiters for the IRR or reserves and i wanted to go active duty. they also said that since the recruiting district head here denied my waiver to rtn, that i mostly likely was out of luck. so after all avenues were exhausted and all seemed hopeless, i turned to the army. so here i am just trying to pick up rank.

i'm just hoping i can get back in after i finish my contract here. surprisingly there are 7 other guys here w/ me who are in the same boat or very similar! i'm just not sure how it works as far as going from another service back into the corps.

Call Lejeune's Prior Service Recruiters and try to put in for an Active Reserve package. You are on active duty, but will usually be stationed at a Reserve Unit...They usually have a lot of Recruiting positions...or you can get into SOI/MCT as an instructor.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    what you should do is go into active reserves and then just transfer to active duty. Answer these questions for me please.

Date your contract ended
    Reenlistment code on DD214
    MOS

i'm not sure if i have much choices at this point since i'm on a 2-year contract w/ the army...but i do want to go back to marines as soon as this is over! unless i can get out of it earlier?? i just had such an awful time trying to get back in the first time i'm hoping it will be easier once i pick up rank.

and i guess the true issue is.....is there anyway to get out of this contract in this "thing" they call the army and go back to the marines...?? either way my plan is to retire in the marine corps, but want back in the marines asap!

and i guess the true issue is.....is there anyway to get out of this contract in this "thing" they call the army and go back to the marines...?? either way my plan is to retire in the marine corps, but want back in the marines asap!

call your US Senetor or Congress man or woman. Get them involved,they have all kinds of pull. It would look good for them if they were successful,bragging rights!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bootlace15

Good Luck and Semper Fi

I am currently enlisted in the SMCR and am wanting to change over to active duty. I have heard that contacting a prior service recruiter can help the process move quickly but i have no clue on how to find a prior service recruiter. If anyone knows the best way to find one please let me know. Or if anyone has had a similar situation and knows the quickest way to get this done that would be a great help also.I live in Dallas/ Ft. Worth region of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by LCPLchapa3521 View Post
    I am currently enlisted in the SMCR and am wanting to change over to active duty. I have heard that contacting a prior service recruiter can help the process move quickly but i have no clue on how to find a prior service recruiter. If anyone knows the best way to find one please let me know. Or if anyone has had a similar situation and knows the quickest way to get this done that would be a great help also.I live in Dallas/ Ft. Worth region of Texas.

Prior Service Recruiting
    1-800-627-4637

Last edited by Cash2053; 04-01-09 at 04:58 PM. Reason: misread the post

Quote Originally Posted by LCPLchapa3521 View Post

Go talk to your units career planner. They should be familiar with the process.

Thread Information