Phobia
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phobia

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Phobia

Alright, Im ready for the criticism and laughing this post will incite. Like a lot of people, I have a phobia and mine is of needles but more specifically hypodermic needles. I know for MEPs they need blood and they're will be inoculations throughout the boot camp experience but does anyone have any advice? I understand, I have to just deal with it, but honestly its a phobia that is out of my minds control. I mean, I've almost passed out. I don't know why, but I have so should I even bother telling anyone before hand of just buck up and hope for the best. Thanks in advance for any help.

Poolee Duncan

look away? I dunno, your gonna have to learn to deal with it.

u get alot more shots in boot camp. if u say u cant control it ln ur head then i have no advice. but i dont want to know what will happen if u get shot...thats like a big hot needle. good luck though, i would get use to getting needles.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    It is literally only a reaction to needles. People with knives and guns and such dont bother me in the least. Its just the hypodermic needle. I figured no one would have advice but I figured I'd try.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I suffer from this personally, and I have to tell you, it sucks. It doesn't really go away, but it gets easier the more you're exposed to them. They don't ever really put a huge needle in you at MEPS, and yeah, you're going to get a lot more shots in boot camp.

I knew this would be a huge part of my life in the military, so I made to personal choice to get over it or get used to it. So far it's been closer to the latter. I've forced myself to give blood 3 times so far at school blood drives, and the needle they stick into you there is a big ass piece of suck, but like I said that was my personal choice. I used to be morbidly afraid of needles, but now they just kinda creep me out and give me chills, ya know? Anyway, good luck, Poolee Gibson.

Look forward to it and own that *****. idk, sounds hard to overcome. just look at it like a marine corps obstacle.

Credits
    Savings
    Just let yourself pass out, that way it'll be over when you wake up.

Its all in your head.

How do you get used to the dark? You turn all the lights off and deal with it.

Same thing applies here. Just do it, and it won't seem all that bad.

After the first few you should realize its nothing big. I didn't even feel the shot at MEP's they did it so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Bandit View Post
    After the first few you should realize its nothing big. I didn't even feel the shot at MEP's they did it so fast.
    i can handle shots but the guy at meps ****ed up my arm so bad. it was all bruised the next day. lol

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I used to be the same way but just dont sweat it. Its not a big deal just look away and dont look at the needle, looking at the needle makes it so much worse.

Credits
    Savings
    Drawing blood is very easy. The best thing to do is to think nothing of it. Whoever is drawing the blood at your MEPSCOM, just talk to them about sports, joining, etc. while he does it. It makes it much easier when you think nothing of it.

Another thing to do is just pull the fake yawn when it happens. It'll turn into a real yawn and it'll be done by the time you even look back.

Credits
    Savings
    Drawing blood is very easy. The best thing to do is to think nothing of it. Whoever is drawing the blood at your MEPSCOM, just talk to them about sports, joining, etc. while he does it. It makes it much easier when you think nothing of it.

Another thing to do is just pull the fake yawn when it happens. It'll turn into a real yawn and it'll be done by the time you even look back.

Quote Originally Posted by lake9 View Post
    i can handle shots but the guy at meps ****ed up my arm so bad. it was all bruised the next day. lol
    Thats because MEPs doctors are incompetant civilians :P

...kidding (sort of)

Man, to get over needles, don't look at them. If you don't see them you should be ok, right?

Remember, it doesn't even hurt that badly

Credits
    Savings
    Best thing I can say is between now and your ship date, go give blood at blood drives, when the needle is going to go in, just laugh about it with the person doing it, keep your mind off of it and you will be fine.

There was a girl at MEPS with us who couldn't handle giving blood so we all just started to talking to her and having her focus on us, she didn't pass out cause she took her mind off it. She did go extremely pale though, at that point just drink water.

Thread Information