Local Marine's mother speaks
From staff reports
The News Virginian
Wednesday, October 4, 2006

STAUNTON - Rhonda Winfield, mother of fallen Marine Jason Redifer, spoke recently at her son’s alma mater, Stuart Hall School.

Winfield spoke of her new book, her pain, and the catharsis that writing has given her.

Published in June, “When Johnny Doesn’t Come Marching Home” chronicles the history of her family from her son’s decision to join the Marines until the one-year anniversary of his death earlier this year.

“I feel like I am at home,” Winfield told the Stuart Hall crowd on Sept. 21. Some in the audience fought back tears as they attempted to ask Winfield questions about her writing process and how she manages to carry on.

Winfield asked the listeners to take two things from her talk, if nothing else: First, never allow one’s beliefs about the war in Iraq to interfere with supporting American troops in the difficulties they face overseas; and two, never forget to laugh.

The Stuart Hall community also felt the blow of Redifer’s death and has since enshrined his Marine uniform in the school’s library. Along with the soldier’s metals, Redifer’s Stuart Hall class ring and diploma are also displayed.

Junior Renea Cambell said it will help preserve the Marine’s memory.

“Eventually the people who knew Jason will be gone. And then it will be a story,” Cambell said.

Math teacher Beth Hinkle called Winfield’s talk “inspirational” and said her appearance and son’s memorial had put a face on international events. “It brings the war to you. It puts a face on it. It makes it personal,” she said.

Senior Philip Sheridan said Winfield’s talk and Redifer’s memorial “open teenagers’ eyes to death” and they begin to take life a bit more seriously.

“It makes you think about things you want to do, and what you believe in, and that you don’t have forever to do these things,” he said.

Spanish teacher Jonathan Gatewood said Redifer’s life and death “usher in a new phase for Stuart Hall.” Redifer, class of 2003, was one the first boys admitted to the school’s upper school, and helped change the institution’s century and a half tradition as a school for girls. Gatewood called Redifer a “pioneer” and said the Marine’s memorial will serve as a symbol of courage for generations of Stuart Hall students.

Concluding her talk, Winfield said that although writing the book has given her great release and helped her come to terms with her son’s death, she continues to feel grief.

“Some days I am OK. But other days, I need to just crawl back under the covers, and you know what, that’s alright,” she said.

Ellie

This is only a