Posted 12:54 AM October 3, 2006
Marine hungry to return to normal
NHS grad called 'Lunchbox' returns from 2nd tour in Iraq

By Chris Sikich
Chris.Sikich@TheNoblesvilleLedger.com
October 3, 2006

NOBLESVILLE -- Matt Hicks is enjoying a couple of weeks at home after returning Wednesday from his second tour of duty in Iraq.

Due back in North Carolina Oct. 13, Hicks wants to spend some time with friends and family. The 2002 Noblesville High School graduate joined the Marines in November 2003, and helped guard convoys traveling through Iraq during his two tours there.

During the most recent trip, the Marines guarded 86 convoys. Hicks said he and his fellow Marines found and removed roadside bombs about 75 percent of the time and heard gunfire about 20 percent of the time.

"You don't know if it's (gunfire is) directed at you," said Hicks, a corporal in the military police. "You hear it impact."

He said the Marines grew accustomed to it. "You can't let it get to you too much. You have to deal with the situation, go on and carry out the mission."

He first served in Iraq from February-September 2005. His second tour began in March, and he returned to the United States Sept. 18.

Not everything was serious in the military. After noticing Hicks ate homemade cookies sent by his mom, Lisa, his buddies nicknamed him "Lunchbox." Taking it in stride, the sign that greeted his return on his family house says, "Lunchbox is back from Iraq and ready for a real meal."

He joined the Marines after "getting kicked out of college." He said his grades weren't strong enough at Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis.

"Honestly, I wanted to do it (join the Marines) before I went to college," Hicks said. "I went to college for my mom, really."

His mother said she's glad he tried out college. "It didn't work out for him; I guess the Marines was his calling."

She said he tells her the good things that happened in Iraq, but not necessarily the bad things.

"It was rough for all of them," Lisa said of his battalion. "Being the second tour, I think they were all ready to come home."

Matt Hicks' grandfather and great-grandfather served in the armed forces, and the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, helped push him toward that path.

He said serving in Iraq was the experience of a lifetime, and he'd do it again in a heartbeat. Progress is being made in Iraq, and people there still greet the Marines positively, he explained. Whenever they went through towns, kids would come up to the Marines for medicine and candy.

His battalion is no longer in the rotation to serve overseas, so he expects to spend the next year working as a cop on his North Carolina base or training Marines to go to war. After that, he'd like to return here.

"Hopefully, I can come back to Noblesville and try to get a job around here in law enforcement."

His father and mother, Richard and Lisa, still live in Noblesville. His older brother Jason is a seventh-grade history teacher at Carmel Middle School.

In high school, Hicks played bass in the orchestra and was on the football, wrestling and track teams. Wrestling coach John Smith said Hicks is one of his favorite wrestlers and students of all time. Smith often used Hicks' work ethic and leadership skills as an example for other students.

"He just worked his butt off," Smith said. "He didn't complain about working hard."

Hicks visited the high school in full dress uniform after returning from Iraq the first time, and the two shared a good hug.

"I had been praying for him every night," Smith said, noting that he is glad service in the war didn't change Hicks.

"I was hoping he would come out still being Matt Hicks," Smith said.

Call staff writer Chris Sikich at (317) 444-5545.

Ellie