Looking to become a Marine, but I got tons of questions...
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Looking to become a Marine, but I got tons of questions...

Well, pretty much like everyone else. But, here's the thing I'm looking to become a Marine. There's a couple issues I need to address though. I recently dropped out of High School, but in the process I managed to get my G.E.D. I also had got into sum legal trouble. I'll just say that I was arrested for a possession of a "substance" (really small amount). It was my first offense but I am currently going through an unsupervised probation; a conditional discharge. I will be done with that by the beginning of August of next year; and I am also looking into getting the charge expunged on my record. Prior to that I had enlisted in the NJARNG, but I didn't pass my urinanalysis -_-. I look at the time of my life as being young, dumb, and stupid; and I am looking to move on with my life and I have been clean for quite a while. Anyways, seeing as I got a G.E.D. instead of a HS diploma, a recruiter told me I would need 15 college credits; which I am currently in the process of doing. I was looking into going to the Marine Reserves in the field of Personnel and Administration; I was also looking into Supply/Administration and Logistics. I've read all the occupational field descriptions on the web but I wanted to get a REAL idea of the MOS'. Also, I have somewhat "bad" knees, they can act up a little with some physical stress over some time. I thought about going to a knee doctor and seeing what he could do/recommend; but besides that I thought about buying a knee wrap/brace from a fitness store. I know that will be an issue during boot camp if I do go, but does the M.C. do anything for those type of injuries? Furthermore, during the time of my enlistment as a Reserve, will I be able to transfer to A.D.; and when will I be able to change my MOS; will I also be able to pick any "category B" MOS throughout my time in the reserves?

Anyways, thanks a BUNCH in advance

Talk to a recruiter theyll answer your questions. But ill be honest , if you were going into the army nasty guard and failed the whiz quiz, then you got busted for possesion , well ..that kind of shows a pattern. The Marines are probably not going going to be falling all over themselves trying to get you to enlist.

Credits
    Savings
    Yeah, I kinda figured that, too. But, honestly sobriety feels so much better and I know I'm not going to make the same mistake as before. .

Still like I said, Im not a recruiter and I dont know everything, but I think if you can show that your trying to better yourself , and are making an improvement, and serious about joining then maybe. So go and talk to one. They might not be able to help you now because your still on on Probation but theyll at least be able to tell what steps you need to take, what actions you need to accomplish and be able to offer you better advice. Good luck kid.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks. But, yea, I have talked to a recruiter. He pretty much told me that I would have to wait for the probation, and to get my college credits. I did talk to SSGT. Marsielle in my old HS, and we looked over some MOS', but I still didn't get a real idea of the jobs I was interested in. Looking into going to sum of the profiles they have at the recruit center.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Njr0688,

Your ACD (Adjournment Contemplating Dismissel) is a bad mark. The wya that the Marine Corps looks at it you have been incarserated. You weren't behind bars but an ACD is a deal with the judge, attornys, juvenile system and others. I admire the fact that you completed the GED program in NJ. However, each Marine Corps district has a number of applicants that they can put into the Marine Corps for EXAMPLE: GED per fiscal year 15 1st Marine Corps District. There may or may not be a slot for you. Since the fiscal year has just begun as of midnight this Friday you need to get going because slots go very fast at the beginning of the year. Another thing you may wind up going open contract, not becasue you are a lesser person or anything like that. AT the time you oath in you may not qualify for a MOS, sometimes this is the better for all. At this point in time I would say that you are a district waiver just to be considered for a enlistment contract, but then again I don't have all of the facts nor do I want them in a public forum. This information does not reflect what may be the facts in your case. I am just trying to point out there will be no easy way just to sign the dotted line. Consider your options and don't turn back. Think of it this way. If you want to be a Marine do you know what it takes? Do you want to do what it takes to be a Marine? I will tell you this for sure. If you do qualify you will not be on the block anymore that is one thing for sure.

Good luck...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NJR0688
    Well, pretty much like everyone else. But, here's the thing I'm looking to become a Marine. There's a couple issues I need to address though. I recently dropped out of High School, but in the process I managed to get my G.E.D. I also had got into sum legal trouble. I'll just say that I was arrested for a possession of a "substance" (really small amount). It was my first offense but I am currently going through an unsupervised probation; a conditional discharge. I will be done with that by the beginning of August of next year; and I am also looking into getting the charge expunged on my record. Prior to that I had enlisted in the NJARNG, but I didn't pass my urinanalysis -_-. I look at the time of my life as being young, dumb, and stupid; and I am looking to move on with my life and I have been clean for quite a while. Anyways, seeing as I got a G.E.D. instead of a HS diploma, a recruiter told me I would need 15 college credits; which I am currently in the process of doing. I was looking into going to the Marine Reserves in the field of Personnel and Administration; I was also looking into Supply/Administration and Logistics. I've read all the occupational field descriptions on the web but I wanted to get a REAL idea of the MOS'. Also, I have somewhat "bad" knees, they can act up a little with some physical stress over some time. I thought about going to a knee doctor and seeing what he could do/recommend; but besides that I thought about buying a knee wrap/brace from a fitness store. I know that will be an issue during boot camp if I do go, but does the M.C. do anything for those type of injuries? Furthermore, during the time of my enlistment as a Reserve, will I be able to transfer to A.D.; and when will I be able to change my MOS; will I also be able to pick any "category B" MOS throughout my time in the reserves?

Anyways, thanks a BUNCH in advance

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    NJRO, i know that we all have done dumb $hit when we were young but sometimes those things can permenantly shut certain doors in our lives. Unfortunately a few of your choices seems to have really hurt your chances. getting busted for possession hurts, but failing the whiz quiz combined with the possession charge is a deal killer. Combine that with the GED waiver and it makes it very hard. The urinalysis failure at MEPS is probably the biggest thing standing in your way. If you are DQed from the NJANG for it then that probably will apply to all armed forces. Good luck though. I am glad to know that you are clean. It is too bad that those early choices have messed you up considering that you probably would make a great Marine since cleaning yourself up. Let us know what happens.

Credits
    Savings
    Yea, I know, I didn't think about my decisions until now. Kinda makes me regret it, d'oh! I believe I was d'qed for NJARNG for about 6 months and then I could re-enlist or something like that. Which I don't plan to. But, the odd thing is I still haven't gotten my discharge papers.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    How old were you when you got the possession charge? Were you actually in the guard when you failed the drug test? Also, is there any way to get back into school to get that HS diploma?

elmo65
    Guest Free Member
    Last time I knew drug abuse is not tolerated in the Marines

Credits
    Savings
    I had just turned 18 when I got the charge, which wasn't one of my happiest highlights of my life. The Guard has enlistment where u swear in and take an oath, I even went to one of the drills, but yeah I failed it a couple days after I came back from drill. I can still go back to school and get a HS diploma, but I rather not deal with HS anymore. I rather get my 15 college credits.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    what type of discharge did they give you? Bad conduct, dishonorable, other than honorable?

Credits
    Savings
    Never said it, I just got this paper from D.O.D. that said I was disqualified, I might have to take another look at it. But, yeah, it didn't say anything. Maybe I should get my discharge papers, but every time I talk to NJARNG recruiter that enlisted me, who always gives me this bull****, and I never get the paper.

Thread Information