A question for non prior service officers
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question A question for non prior service officers

I'm 27yo. I graduated from college four years ago, and I believe I need to do more than hold down a 9-5 and pay taxes. Is it worth leaving my career at my age to try and become an officer alongside kids just graduating college? Can anyone relate to my situation?

Also, why should I join the Marines, and not the Navy or Army? I have an idea, but I hope you guys can articulate it for me.

Your choice

Brian ,Your only 27.so its not like your falling apart .You should not have any trouble with pt or studiesYou might want to talk with an officer recruiter.You can go back to your carreer,there is a war on .Unlike some people on this sight I will say that the Army has some fine units rangers ,Para,Sf,Delta ect but they have a different missions.I don't think anyone would disagree you get a hell of a lot more respect as MARINE officer

Credits
    Savings
    Images

brossian,

Not to take away from any other posts that will occur undoutbtly. The Marine Corps mission is different from other branches is a very true statement. Not being a Marine Officer is even better than being enlisted though. If you are worth your weight in salt you will request mentoring from a SSgt,Gunny, Pfc, or LCpl, or any Marine as far as that goes. Your mentoring will be a great payback for you personally. I urge you to seek out opportunities that await you. What are your degrees in? Do you think that your education will benefit the Corps in anyway? It may not matter at all. I say this because the Marine Corps will take care of the Marine Corp's needs yours are secondary. DO not take wrong anything that is said here on the forum as there are probably a thounsdand years or more of experience that you have unwrapped by posting here on Leatherneck. You have to evaluate what you have to offer and go forward. Don not hesitate once you have made your choice. If you do that in the Corps there are consequences that are able to be reversed once you have a hesitation or thought about something that effects others as a Marine that means the matter of life or death.

I am trying to provoke thoughts that you may not have ever asked yourself. You are not old by any means but hesitation maybe a chance that you pass up something that you have more than a curiosity. OSO (Officer Selection Officers) are abundant in metro area all over the country. If you do decide to become a Marine Officer please be an officer with temperance and honesty and other traits that I am sure will come to the surface.

Good luck. We all have things at stake please keep us posted.

Thank you.

Wow...Exactly what the Gunny said.

Credits
    Savings
    I have a degree in construction management. My work experience is in large heavy/civil construction projects; so I think I would be best suited for service as a combat engineer, although the thought of having to clear mindfields scares me. I've already been in contact with the OSO in my area, and he's given me a lot of info, but I came across this site and thought it would be a good place to get some other insight. I've met several people who joined the navy and hated it, I've met several people who joined the army and didn't hate it, and I've met a few Marines who swear it was the best thing they ever did. Why is that?

Credits
    Savings
    But why do the Marines get more respect?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

brossian,

I have a reading assignment for you. I am sure that there are public librbaries in Sacremento California. Go to the American History area and find books on the battles that the Marine Corps has been in. No particular era just pick one. You probably will be provokes into reading another one after that. One period of time that is of particular interest would be WWII. I say this because of the war in the Pacific. This will take you to the mind of the Marine I know some of these Marines and they are unlike Marines of today. How can Marines be different you ask? Once you read about the contributions that Marines have made through out the Corps 231 years of out nation you may be able to comprehend a little of what I am trying to convey to you. The Marince Corps was an act of congress in 1775 at Tun Tavern in Philedelphia Pa. That's right the Corps is a year older than out nation. If I could spark a little bit of interest in you to pursue what I ask you may get a bit of understanding in what you ask. No better friend, no worse enemy.

Semper Fidelis Marine Corps motto meaning "Always faithful", God, Country Corps, Family. To be a memeber of the United States Marine Corps is not an easy thing to do. It is not meant to be easy or everybody would want to be one of us. I served for 20 years in our beloved Marine Corps, there were bad and good times not that, that should mean anything to you or anybody else. It means that the Corps will be around after I am fadded away from this earth. But the Marine Corps will live on forever because of other Marines that have taken my place in the ranks. Officer or Enlisted.

Let us know what you come up with. This is not a game. Comprehending of what you are asking requires that you find out some anwers on your own.

Brossian,

Well, you should be a Marine Officer. I am working toward that too... I just left active duty into select reserve after four years. I love the Corps; and what I did....I never regret what I had done. I already had my Bachelor degree and applying for Commissioned Offier Program.

Currently, I am in the Marine Corps Selected Reserve (Weekend Warrior), and working full time for the U.S Army as a Civlian Contractor. I get more pay than in the Marine Corps, and the working conditioin is way better. However, I want to be a Marine because of the pride...and I rather to be a civilian than joining any other service.

I you join the Marine Corps Officer Program, maybe we in the OCC class in January 2007 together.

Good Luck,
    Semper Fi,

Quote Originally Posted by brossian
    But why do the Marines get more respect?
    Great question to ask of a bunch of self assured Marines. Self confidence and confidence in your fellow Marines is why the Marines get more respect. We get it because we have earned it as a whole, not individually. We have respect because others have earned it for us just as we earned it for those who followed in our footsteps. The heroics of past Marines are well known and because of those heroes and others to come, admiration and respect for what we can do follows those feats. Look at Dan Daly, Smedley Butler, Lewis Puller, and many others like today's Msgt Casals and other heroes of the Iraq War. They are steeped in tradition and would never dishonor it.

I am sure others will find many more reasons WHY we are respected. Again it is not respect of an individual, but a respect of the Corps as a whole and what it stands for...

Thread Information