Chances of Being Stationed With Husband
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Chances of Being Stationed With Husband

I've heard that the unwritten rule is stationed within 50 miles of each other. But I read in Casey's(my husband)contract the other day that there is no guarantee. This worries me because my marriage is more important to me than joining the Marine Corps, but that is the second most important thing!!! I was just hoping someone could tell me how likely it is that I would not be stationed with him. My MOS is accounting and supply and my recruiter says that it is a job that I can go anywhere with and should be able to be stationed anywhere with. Thanks for any advice!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    NOTHING in life or the Corps comes with a gaurantee!

No rules are unwritten. The regulation is MCO P1300.8R, Section 3 on Assignments Policy. http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/0dc...0?OpenDocument

The regulation says specifically that Marines married to other servicemembers will not receive preferrential treatment in their assignments. But, the Marine Corps will make every effort to assign Marines in close proximity to their spouse. The regulation defines close proximity as within 50-miles.

If you are not stationed within 50-miles, then you can request a transfer "for the purpose of establishing a joint household."

----

Having said that, there is a risk that you won't be stationed with your spouse - especially as a first-term Marine. This is especially problematic if your spouse winds up on Okinawa or overseas. The Marine Corps will try and co-locate you with your spouse, but assignments can sometimes be limited. I think your recruiter is being honest - your MOS can pretty much go anywhere. But, as Marines you have to expect a certain amount of separation - possibly up to a year at some point in your careers - especially if one of your first duty stations is overseas.

I would certainly expect that second-term Marines would be stationed in close proximity to one another. It's a risk you and your spouse have to talk about whether you are willing to accept. Good luck.

I married a Marine while I was still in. We were both stationed in Hawaii. He was with motor pool and I was with an FA-18 unit. He got orders for and went to Yuma, AZ. My MOS did not exist in Yuma and women were not allowed to work on the flighline as they had Harriers.

If it ain't in writing it ain't a guarantee. Even if it is in writing things change per the needs of the Corps. Some that are married can and do make it work. Then again if you are married and don't join he can still be sent on one year unaccompanied tours and tours of 6 months or more where you can not go with him.

Best of luck.

Thread Information