Possible poser - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Possible poser

Here's a 'poser' story for ya. I'm interested in your feedback.

This Marine told me he had served in Korea. He related that one day he and four other Marines were stringing com wire when they were attacked by eight or nine ChiCom. This Marine shot one enemy 6 times with his M-1 carbine, and the enemy kept coming. The ChiCom attempted to bayonet the Marine. The bayonet went between the helmet liner and the steel pot. The combat was hand to hand. The Marine pulled a grenade, stuck it in the enemy's chest, and rolled him over. The blast killed the bad guy and severely wounded the Marine.
    This Marine's ribbons reflected a Purple Heart, PUC, Good Conduct, National Defense, Korean PUC, Korean Service, Korean Campaign.
    I did some serious and thorough investigating. Seems this guy never made it any further west than Camp Pendelton.
    He WAS however, an extra in the movie "The Sands of Iwo Jima" I own a photo of him standing next to John Wayne, in herringbone utilities.
    It's a picture of my dad. He was a career Marine. Deeply involved in the Marine Corps League. How he got away with wearing those ribbons around fellow Marines...I'll never know.
    With my Congressman's help, I got copies of MY SRB, my Dad's SRB, and my Grandfather's SRB. So I know my dad was never in Korea.
    I didn't find out the truth until ten yrs. after my dad passed away.
    It was a tough pill to swallow.

Any thoughts?

Credits
    Savings

Unhappy Secret Army Unit

Quote Originally Posted by drumcorpssnare
    Any thoughts?
    When we asked our father as children what he did in the army (WWII) he would always tell us he was in the "Army Under Ground Balloon Corps." He thought that was real funny and always stuck to that story.

After his childhood buddy, his first cousin Sergeant Henry C. Schlau http://www.clintonco.org/veterans_memorial.htm was killed by a Japanese sniper in Cebu he got crying drunk and told his other military relatives that they all should all be buying Japanese War Bonds (you figure), needless to say they didn't understand.

Dad was really a Medic at Fort Riley General Hospital during the war. He was ready to be ship out to China when the War ended. He suffered from PTSD from taking care of severely wounded soldiers, three clinical depressions, died at 39. His father, my grandfather was severely wounded and committed suicide at Great Lakes Naval Hospital, he was a Marine WW I.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

An acquittance of ours Jim, told everyone that he was in the Navy. Jim worked as a security guard at our local Library. Once, I saw him there and he looked real jaundice and I told him he had better see a doctor. His son took him to Hines VA Hospital for emergency treatment only to find out they had no record of him, never in the Navy. He passed away in a local Catholic Nursing home shortly thereafter.

The truth is stranger than fiction...

SF

Quote Originally Posted by drumcorpssnare

This Marine told me he had served in Korea. He related that one day he and four other Marines were stringing com wire when they were attacked by eight or nine ChiCom. This Marine shot one enemy 6 times with his M-1 carbine, and the enemy kept coming. The ChiCom attempted to bayonet the Marine. The bayonet went between the helmet liner and the steel pot. The combat was hand to hand. The Marine pulled a grenade, stuck it in the enemy's chest, and rolled him over. The blast killed the bad guy and severely wounded the Marine.
    This Marine's ribbons reflected a Purple Heart, PUC, Good Conduct, National Defense, Korean PUC, Korean Service, Korean Campaign.
    I did some serious and thorough investigating. Seems this guy never made it any further west than Camp Pendelton.
    He WAS however, an extra in the movie "The Sands of Iwo Jima" I own a photo of him standing next to John Wayne, in herringbone utilities.
    It's a picture of my dad. He was a career Marine. Deeply involved in the Marine Corps League. How he got away with wearing those ribbons around fellow Marines...I'll never know.
    With my Congressman's help, I got copies of MY SRB, my Dad's SRB, and my Grandfather's SRB. So I know my dad was never in Korea.
    I didn't find out the truth until ten yrs. after my dad passed away.
    It was a tough pill to swallow.

Any thoughts?

DC, I have no doubt that it was dang difficult to deal with. And...the easy answer is, no one 'back in the day' ever thought to question, esp. another, fellow Marine. And, it wasn't that simple to do, either. Plus, most folks just didn't think about guys telling more than just 'sea stories'.

In answer to the original line that started this thread, my old boss, who retired as a MyGySgt, landed at Da Nang, 65, with the 9th MEB. Did 3 tours, had 3 PH. Was an Ontos gunner. (I may be wrong on the tours, but I remember the PH's). He got out in 68, re-upped in 72 or thereabouts, maybe later...DI at PI. A great Marine, learned alot from him. Not really pertinent I suppose to the story, but what the hey...

The "marine" in question's Bronze Star document normally would NOT have been signed by the President of the United States. The BS is basically a "unit level" type award, and it probably would have been signed, by either the SecNav (with an autopen) or perhaps a General officer or some such. The President only signs the super high level awards (MOH, etc), at least, that is my understanding of how the medals system works.

Credits
    Savings

Lightbulb Serial Numbers for older posers

That is one thing all Marines never forget, ask a suspected poser for that and if he is the McCoy, he will rattle it off, make sure to write it down and bring it here; their being a hero will be harder to figure out.

My buddy was always in trouble, he forged stolen ID cards and to act salty used lower serial numbers and mistakenly LMAO used WM's serial numbers. He and his buddies (not me) got into trouble in Vegas and they all used their phony ID cards that he had stolen out of the Battery Office while on fire watch. He got 6-4 and a kick, served 3-3 back to duty. I had to chase him for his court martial and bring him to brig, lol. He's the one that took my pofile picture here, lol. The last time I saw him he wanted me to lend him 5 grand, haven't seen him since!

Of course now they use S/S numbers and that won't work any longer.

SF

I am not from the area, so I do not understand how this guy has gotten away with what he has here in Terre Haute, Indiana.

But, if you have some time, good coffee, and are ready for a pretty good laugh, check this out:

http://community.cnhi.com/eve/forums...11/m/523105244

You figure out my SN for that forum after a while...

S/F

Did anyone check with CMC? If anyone on earth would know about him, or his validity as a Marine and war hero, CMC would.
    -Goat

I graduated in 1984 and my Platoon number was 2044.

My Platoon was 219. Started March 1963. MCRD.
    I'm pretty sure of this. Many of us never forget our platoon number or serial number. Mine is: 2021104. Semper Fidelis Marines

Mcrd Sd

Quote Originally Posted by luvmipapa
    what MCRD was he suppose to be in? did he enlist in Indy? If memory serves,there were only 3 numbers used at PI until the early 70's and at that point the dividing line was the Mississippi River, East of the river went to PI, and west went to SD, at least that is what I remember, No not to be taken as fact, but memory. now what as I saying?.
    I enlisted in June of 69 under a deferment left Fort Wayne in Detroit on Sept 11, 1969 was sent to MCRD SD.

Is this the same clown that has been going to funerals in blues and passing himself off as a Marine? I remember seeing something like that and the guy really needed a haircut if he was in the Corps.
    Reminds me of a jerk I was selling a car to. We couldn't get it from the other dealer in time so he says "When I was in the Marines we didn't put up with lame ass excuses." I asked when he was in and he said it didn't matter and I told him I was in the Corps. His son came up and said "daddy you were never in the Marines." My only comment to him was that I'd heard plenty of that crap from possers before. He sent his wife to get the car.

What.....a turd. I love it that his kid busted him out....

JOHN MELVIN JONES JR.

Still lying in 2005

11/2005: GUEST SPEAKER at a Veterans Day Dinner in Nitro, West Virginia. Claims recipient of the Navy Cross, Silver Star, Bronze Star, Purple Heart and others as a Marine in Vietnam. He stated he lost all his medals in a fire and hasn't had time to get replacements. Also said he just retired from 30 years with the CIA

The above from the POW NETWORK
    POW Network

The reason he showed up in Nitro, WV is because he has a friend living there. His name is Ray "Precious" Carey. Both like to talk big & make claims of "representing bikers rights" & have appointed themselve's "FREEDOM FIGHTERS"
    John Melvin Jones is known as "JJ" - Ray Carey goes by the name "Precious" They'll both be showing up in Charleston, WV in January 2007 to make speeches on the capital steps. "JJ" has been a "guest speaker" in the past. They do it every year for the start of the new WV Legislative Session with regards to changing existing motorcycle laws. Mainly the Helmet Law. This is where you'll find "JJ" & his buddy "Precious"

LOST FREEDOM FIGHTERS OF ABATE OF WEST VIRGINIA
    DONALD "DUCK" SMITH is another good friend of "JJ"
    SMITH LIVES IS CLENDENIN, WV
    "Duck" & "Precious" were Campaign Supporters/Managers(raised money) for "JJ" in his bid for a House of Delegate seat in West Virginia. "JJ" moved to WV from Ohio where he had served as a AmVets Post Commander(District 21 - Southeastern Ohio) and was a DJ for a local Radio Station(Lancaster-Logan-New Lexington) in that area. This scumbag actually got a couple thousand votes. Mainly generated by Members of ABATE of West Virginia & the so called Confederation of Motorcyclists(NCOM).

Here's where you'll find "JJ" and his friends:
    Precious & Duck (His political buds)

"JJ" is associated with Ralph Buss & has also claimed to be a "Bounty Hunter":
    Ralph C. Buss

John Melvin Jones Jr. (scroll down)

Two people in Charleston, West Virginia that know "JJ" or thought they knew him, and fell for his masquerade, big time, are: Delagate Greg A. Butcher(House of Delegate District 19) and Past Senator John Mitchell(D-Kanawha). Mitchell lost his try at getting re-elected. Ask them about "JJ"

Update: 2005 - It was reported by AmVets Post 1776 Logan Ohio 649 Radio Lane 43138
    Phone740)385-7100 in the Southeast Ohio Area, that Jones was employed by at a "Boot Camp" style correctional facility. Perhaps at the Athens County Ohio Facility run by the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation & Correction.

Jones has claimed to be a Private Investigator and has worked as a Bartender & Music DJ while living in South Charleston, West Virginia 2000 to 2004.
    He claim's to have been in Recon while in Vietnam in the late 60's, but can't talk about it.
    He has a son living in Pasco, Washington.

Angry Must be something in the air....

I just came back from a 45th class reunion to honor high school quarterback in hall of fame. He told me before reunion that he was wounded in Vietnam with bayonette in chest and spent 6 months in hospital in Guam to heal up. I thought that fact should be brought up at his "induction" to hall of fame and so I told the MC about what he told me. The MC tried to get more information about it and came back and told me that my "classmate" requested that nothing be brought up because he was also in the CIA at that time and sworn to secrecy.
    Totally lost respect for the man we were supposed to honor as an inductee to hall of fame of high school football. What a crock!

That's the standard line of BS from these people. 'My records lost in a fire, and those that weren't, well...they are classified at the highest levels, etc etc".

In the CIA at the time...I love those stories. Ask him who his case officer was. Ask him the name of the hospital on Guam.

Better yet...ask him to fill out an FOIA request so you can 'set the record straight'. Bet it comes back he was in the brig for six months or something.

This person did contact me... two different nights, three threatening phone calls each night. Did not speak very nice things, said very nasty things to my wife & daughter, threatened to do something to my vehicle and that "he was going to take care of me."

The only time I was worried was while my wife and I were out of town for a week in San Diego. I had to imply that our MC birthday get together was at my house as my daughter had to work and stayed in Indiana. Friends and my son-in-law stopped by and even left vehicles over night to show there were people visiting. The the street light was busted... got to be weird, but nothing to fear.

You think I hit a nerve? All he has to do is show proof of what he's got.

On July 12, 1973, a disastrous fire at NPRC (MPR) destroyed approximately 16-18 million Official Military Personnel Files. The affected record collections are described below.
    BranchPersonnel and Period AffectedEstimated Loss
    ArmyPersonnel discharged November 1, 1912, to January 1, 1960 80%
    Air ForcePersonnel discharged, September 25, 1947, to January 1, 1964
    (with names alphabetically after Hubbard, James E.)
    75%

No duplicate copies of the records that were destroyed in the fire were maintained, nor was a microfilm copy ever produced. There were no indexes created prior to the fire. In addition, millions of documents had been lent to the Department of Veterans Affairs before the fire occurred. Therefore, a complete listing of the records that were lost is not available. Nevertheless, NPRC (MPR) uses many alternate sources in its efforts to reconstruct basic service information to respond to requests.

Thread Information