Create Post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Possible poser

i went in April 1967 my platoon#was163.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bebop1956
    I don't know were any-one could have got records from NPRC,in such a short amount of time,even if you file under the "Freedom of Information Act" They take a LOOOOOOng time to reply! I guess since i"am from Missouri, you need to "Show Me" Semper-Fi & OOOh--Rah !!
    I once pulled USMC records on a guy using the FOIA and it only took two weeks for the documents to come in the mail. Of course, the more accurate ID information you can provide NPRC, the quicker they can pull and verify the record you want. I had quite a bit of ID info on the guy, and I knew they sent the right stuff as soon as I saw his payroll signature - very distinctive.

FWIW- he was a former Marine claiming to be a Vietnam vet (Khe Sanh specifically). His records showed he was in during the Khe Sanh time frame, just never any closer to Vietnam than Camp Pendleton.

Credits
    Savings

Question I did some "Freedom of Information Act" checks

I don't know were any-one could have got records from NPRC,in such a short amount of time,even if you file under the "Freedom of Information Act" They take a LOOOOOOng time to reply! I guess since i"am from Missouri, you need to "Show Me" Semper-Fi & OOOh--Rah !!
    It took me 15 days for an answer from NPRC, showed me some Marines leave allot to the imagination about Vietnam "Big mouth -v- Their in country", others, "no hit" not enough info, saying, "Does not mean individual was not in the service." The more info the better. I could get it, but the expense out weighed my curiosity so far, lol.

One individual on another site sounded like he was the only Marine in Vietnam and attacking others as wannabees. He never mentioned that he was only there three months. Better to be up front on everything, takes away from what is legit. While posting there, I referred to him and his big mouth by his unlisted middle name "Bing" that I got from the NPRC to see his reaction and he shuts up right away and checks out my profile immediately, you can tell who and when on that site checks your profile. Poor guy probably thats all he has ever accomplished in life "Nam", so I let it go.

He did attack me for my posted medals as a wannabee!

SF

Exclamation How can I find out if someone is an imposter?

Was in army during 64 to 70 while an old high school classmate played football in college. Talking with him a few months ago via email, he told me that he was in ROTC at Texas Tech during football and made a deal to take 2 tours of Vietnam in order to get out of his contract. He also said that while he was in 'Nam as 2nd Lt, he was stabbed in the chest and punctered a left lung by cong bayonet. Then he claims he killed the bastard that stabbed him. He has done very well for himself financially and is about to be inducted into a local high school football hall of fame. In the write up, I notice they talk about everything except no mention of Marines or Vietnam tours. Somehow I smell a rat, but I guess anything could be true. I asked him what platoon, etc., he was in and he changed the subject, although he seemed to know a lot about Vietnam. Anybody have any suggestions about how to find out if someone is an imposter when I don't have any more information other than name and approximate age?

July 65-Nov 65 Plt #346

Hi bubba,Are your sure his name is not George W Bush, !t sounds fishey to me,just kidding !! Any-way you can check his Military record at NRPC-Saint Louis,but I don't know if you will get an answer befour he get's into any hall of fame,Press him for dates of time incountry-Unit's-Were was he ? And Were?MOS-What Did he do? Was He in a line Company,Or a REMF! I could go on all day like this,all day,but what is the use-we all know that we did the best that we could,it was not our war war to win,it belonged to to the Politicians in Washington-And McNamara-it was one of there toys !!

If I steeped on any-ones toes-with my last statement, tuff-s*$*, That's the way I fell-And may GOD bless America'And All Your Your Troops,In Harms Way Today!!!!

Exclamation Thanks

Hey Thanks!
    He said he was in a rifle company and got stabbed at Chu Lai toward the end of his 2nd tour (3 days for full tour) in December. Spent hospital time in Guam.
    Thanks for the info. I think i'll try finding out anyway.

I guess if you got an answer to a question,and it an't popular.it an't posted !!

MaBee, I need to keep my thoughts were they belong, good luck & may GOD bless , Semper-FI - OOOh-Rahh Bebop1956@sbcglobal.net--Signed Paul Andreas II Sgt. 2311774 -Viet-Nam 1967-1968-1969

Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up Tell'em like it is!

MaBee, I need to keep my thoughts were they belong, good luck & may GOD bless , Semper-FI - OOOh-Rahh Bebop1956@sbcglobal.net--Signed Paul Andreas II Sgt. 2311774 -Viet-Nam 1967-1968-1969
    Once a Marine, Always a Marine

SF

I shipped out to MCRD San Diego from Ft.Wayne,IN June 8,1964 and was assigned to Platoon 347.By the way, we were the last batch to use Camp Matthews for Rifle Range.

I was on the Drill Field as a D.I. in 1966 in San Diego and platoons had four numbers. Don't know about Pleasure Island, but we had four numbers.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Welcome to Vietnam,Macho Man! Cast a Cold Eye,On Life;On Death.Horsemen Pass By.Dedicated To S/SGT.Karl G. Taylor Sr.Awarded the Medal of Honor for His Action's on 8 Dec.1968~Operation Meade River. The best platoon SGT, I ever met;or had my azz in the Grass with!It will be a Grand Reunion Someday.I/3/26~3RD.PLT-THE NOMAD'S!!!

Thread Information