Ribbons or Medals???
Create Post

Ribbons or Medals???

Does anyone know what ribbons or medal were awarded to those who served in Somalia???Operation Restore Hope

we were awarded JMUC, armed forces expeditionary and CAR

I thought we got one thing for working with UN?????

how do i get copy of honorable discharge.how do i get ribbons add after i got out.like combat action.

Use the link on post #2 above.

thanks for the help

I thought we did get a un ribbon and there is a samalia ribbon also, unforunitly my ex wife destroyed all my records can any on else help with the other ribbons we are autherized to hear. Cnat believe that we maybe going back there again but its unconfirmed it maybe all a rumor.

I can, but I'll need your info. Sent you a PM anyway on something else. Drop me a line.

have we relly done any War right the first time around???? Maybe WW1 and 2

Does anyone have any proof we were awarded the UN medal from this list for Operation Restore Hope (Somalia Peacekeeping) (United Shield)...I am seeing conflicting things on Military Historys website...etc...I EAS'ed shortly after this operation and didnt even know about the CAR until a few months ago after seeing the Secretary of the Navys letter on another USMC website

AFEM – 5DEC92-31MAR95 – see (SecNavInst 1650.1G)

JMUA – 5DEC92-4MAY93 – Unified Task Force Somalia – see (NAVMC 2922)

UNM – JUL93 – see ALMAR 205/94

CAR – 5DEC92-31MAR95 – see (CAR-HSM Database)

JMUA – 9JAN-3MAR95 - (United Shield) – CTF United Shield – see (NAVMC 2922)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTheMarine View Post
    Does anyone have any proof we were awarded the UN medal from this list for Operation Restore Hope (Somalia Peacekeeping) (United Shield)...I am seeing conflicting things on Military Historys website...etc...I EAS'ed shortly after this operation and didnt even know about the CAR until a few months ago after seeing the Secretary of the Navys letter on another USMC website

AFEM – 5DEC92-31MAR95 – see (SecNavInst 1650.1G)

JMUA – 5DEC92-4MAY93 – Unified Task Force Somalia – see (NAVMC 2922)

UNM – JUL93 – see ALMAR 205/94

CAR – 5DEC92-31MAR95 – see (CAR-HSM Database)

JMUA – 9JAN-3MAR95 - (United Shield) – CTF United Shield – see (NAVMC 2922)

Depends upon who you were with when you were there.

Not everone there during those time periods rate all of those awards - it depends upon who you were with, when you were there, and in the case of the CAR, what you did.

Hi guys, Im an Australia, served with the 1st Royal Australian Regiment in Baidoa. As for medal entitlement in Somalia, its quite tricky. If you served there between April 1992, up until 2 December, you are entitled to the UNOSOM1 UN medal. up until that date, the Security council imposed resolution 794, which basically put the UN mission on pause, and as a result we were sent in to kick some arse. Once the security council formed the opinion that enough arse kicking had occured, they took their finger off the pause button and let the UN fun begin. So, if you were an arse kicker, you get nothing from the UN. After the 4th of May, UNISOM2 was decreed and from that time on, you are entitled to a UN medal. Those that were on arse kick time (AKA UNITAF), you dont get ****. Yep, thats right, you dont get ****. Add insult to injury, no UNITAF medal was ever struck, not for the US, or Australia. The exact words of the security council were to restore order by use of 'all necessary means'. As we, who served there, know, Somalia was no walk in the park. For those of us that served in the first part of 1993, dont ever let anyone say that we were on a UN mission. The UN had nothing to do with us. The American Military led a mission to occupy Somalia and stabilize the country. It was war, by anyone's definition. But our governments, for what ever reason want to disregard this mission as something that it wasnt. Sorry guys, this just really annoys me. We didnt get the credit for an awesome job. We broke new ground with this mission. We effectively created the doctrine for later occupations, but we hardly get a mention, not least a dedicated medal. Somehow we, the combined troops of UNITAF should loby for a medal. I wonder if we could get at least one of the smaller countries to dedicate a medal to this mission, and than at least we could wear that foreign medal showing that we served in a mission that was deservant of a medal. After I got back, I was sent to hawaii on exchange with 1/3 marines. I did the scout swimmer training there while I was with Aust Recon. Had a great time there. I hope I have cleared up the medal entitlement thing. Regards,

Thread Information