5k/3 mile times - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5k/3 mile times

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalcom
    now on breathing, for the past year ive been using a device called the "power lung" (google it). its a good training device, pretty expensive though, im off of it now, and it has definetely helped me a lot.
    These things really work?? I am not conditioned in breathing AT ALL, so if something like this works and is legit, I will DEFINATELY invest in this to help get me along. Thats where most of my problems are, getting enough air or pumping enough blood. I know the heart stuff will come in time, but if I can help boost my breathing ability, that'd be so great. I never even thought of this kinda stuff. Any information on these types of items would be awesome (i've read the stuff online, im talking about personal experience really). Thanks Smalcom.

ya... go to amazon.com to buy it for 80 bucks, it really works no jokes.

The best way to improve your run times is to run, run, run, and run some more. Run four, five, six miles a day, or at least 3 times a week to build endurance. Learn to breathe comfortably (DO NOT FORCE YOUR BREATHING) while running. When I was in I ran 25 to 27 minute 3 miles and I managed to get down to a personal best recorded 20:20 in about a year's time and had my major all ****ed at me cuz I was whoopin his run times and he was a jock and I was just a skinny a$$ sergeant who learned to like running everyday except on weekends. In fact the only reason I ran was to get a longer lunch hour than the non runners. When running 6 miles a day I never worried about time, I just worried about getting through the run. I knew if I could run six miles a day I could eventually kick butt on the PFT run, and I did ok for a lazy bum...

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Work on your Vo2 max, don't go buy some device. I can't say I agree with the 'power lung'.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass
    Work on your Vo2 max, don't go buy some device. I can't say I agree with the 'power lung'.
    If it were that easy Brass, I would do it, but i've been running for months and my chest just isn't conditioning at the pace I am training, so I am always behind my bodies potential (aside from lungs and heart). I have a heart conditioned that was waivered getting into DEP, so not sure if thats impacting my progress, but if there are devices to help build those muscles specifically, why not use them to train those specific muscles. I mean people use resistance machines to focus on single muscle groups, why not for the muscle groups involved with breathing?

I am 23 also and my metabilism is shot from doing nothing for a few years. When I was 18 I was able to PT my arse off, but now after a few years of doing nothing, im shot and its pretty tough to reach that point again.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    ya... go to amazon.com to buy it for 80 bucks, it really works no jokes.
    You ever use that cleaner stuff to clean it? Or do you have a cheaper method>?

I just use alcohol to clean it.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I just use alcohol to clean it.
    Cool, thanks.

They have about 4 different Power Lung models to choose from, which model do you have?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I just bought the sport, since it seems to have the highest level of resistance. They have a whole nother series, but I think thats more for like musicians.

One thing you want to keep in mind - are those run times taking into account the other aspects of the PFT? Prior to boot camp I also ran XC and had times in the 17 minute range (not fast enough to win any meets but was not far behind the top group), however, my best PFT run time was 18:30 - the run used to come last - so after doing 20 and 80 I was too tight/tired to run any faster. My units usually ran PFT's in small groups, less than 20 Marines at a time, so there is not alot of rest between events.

i have the sport power lung

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Whats the timeframe on this thing starting to make noticable differences?? Is it quick at first then tapers off? Or does it start slow then keep a steady pace? How the progression on this thing? Thanks.

just use it for as long as you can... and it maintains... because your workouts get more intensity the more oxygen you have... with the stronger your muslces are. you wont really decrease at all.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Alright as for endurance and keeping a pace throughout each mile.... For me, Ive realized that with each mile or so, it becomes harder on not only your breathing, but it also feels like your legs are turning to butter- what I do is simple and effective, and it helps me feel like Im not getting tired as quickly: Every time I feel like my legs are getting significantly tired, I tense/brace my muscles more and more- I tend to squeeze my muscles in the lower region of the leg when running the last few minutes, and push forward a little harder. It seems that when I do this, Im focusing more energy on my body weight & lower leg effort, which takes off a load on my upper body, therefore increasing my sprint enough to still have some energy left when I complete the run. So, try it- when you feel your legs or breathing is getting signifacantly harder, just squeeze your lower leg muscles, push the ground a little more, and dont focus your weight distribution in your upper body- lean forawrd just a little bit, do all that stuff and it may work. just my 2 cents.

Thread Information