Prior Active Duty Marine, age limit on re-entry - Page 9
Create Post
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    OK ya'll gonna think I'm Crazy.

Served 88-92. I'm 43 now wanna get back into the Reserves.
    Give it To me What are my Chances?
    Got a call into the Prior Service Recruiter..Thought I's ask some sea lawyers..LOL.
    Can still do a 2nd Class PFT. Got out as a Cpl, MOS 0311
    My Final Year I was in Served at Marine Combat Training Battalion as a Machine Gun(s) instructor
    Served With 2/2 The Warlords UHH Rahhh!!
    Combat Veteran
    If that fails you can go Army National Guard into a combat unit. Yea Max is 29 without the constructive age. THe form I filled out asked if I was under 32 constructed age. My PSR put in a 42 year old, but he had a lot of AD time under his belt to make the contructive age.

I have been wanting to do the same thing. I got out in 2003 as a SSgt after 9 years of service. I also have 6 years of Army Reserves since then. The past year I have been wanting to go back in. I assume I will need both waivers being I have been out for 7 years and for my age.

Here are my questions...
    Would I come back in with the same MOS I left?
    Would I still come back as a SSgt or would they drop me down a few ranks?
    Also I was up for recruiting duty and had to refuse the orders being I was EASing, so I assume I would have to fullfill those orders.

Phil.

Marine Free Member Kenneth Havelka's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Yes you can do it.I went back in the active reserves after being out 14 years with a waiver as a P.F.C. be ready for the culture shock.I was 36 years old.The troops thought I was a narc.I did retire a gunny with 18 years drilling reservest with 4 years active duty

Yeah I found out I have to submit a SNCO PSEP packet. The only problem I may have is I have a RE3O code being I was up for orders when I was getting out. So I may have to execute those orders if I am approved to come back on active duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Wood5831 View Post
    Yeah I found out I have to submit a SNCO PSEP packet. The only problem I may have is I have a RE3O code being I was up for orders when I was getting out. So I may have to execute those orders if I am approved to come back on active duty.
    Accept the orders...quick way to pick up rank, even if they bring you back in as a SSgt with a date of rank date of entry. Also a quick way to get busted if you screw up...

Let's see...at my current age minus my years of credible service plus the required number of years to retirement.... hmmmmm.... nope. SOL! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtop View Post
    Accept the orders...quick way to pick up rank, even if they bring you back in as a SSgt with a date of rank date of entry. Also a quick way to get busted if you screw up...
    Yeah I already had a successful B billet on MSG Duty, so I know the importance. Then again would they give me those orders after a 7 year absence? I would imagine that I am not still qualified, but who knows.

I am meeting a lot of resistance from the local recruiters. Everyone states that the Corps is overfull and is not and has not taken PSEP's and the last one this RS has gotten through was 2 years ago. A MSG buddy who was a career recruiter and now is an OPS Officer at an RS in another state and he is telling me a completely different story. Personally, I think the recruiters are being lazy. I am going to sidestep this wall. No sense trying to go through it when I can go over it. The PSR said I could try to go Active Reserve/IMA and I can keep my rank. I would need to find a reserve unit that would accept me even though I have a different MOS. As a SNCO, they just need to find billets for me and not units with my MOS which is impossible being a 5831 is only AD. No problem. I have an MSG buddy is on I&I duty and is the OPS Chief at a nearby unit, so that could help me out.

Then once i get my PFT/CFT, Swim Qual, Rifle/Pistol Qual, Gas Chamber current and get re-acclimated then I could put in a packet for Active duty. It would be easier that way being I would be in a different scenario than now.

Now I have to drop 25-30 pounds and get my running down.

Quote Originally Posted by Wood5831 View Post
    I am meeting a lot of resistance from the local recruiters. I think the recruiters are being lazy. .
    Thats a total understatement.

Marine Free Member Kenneth Havelka's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Find a prior service recruiter...

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Havelka View Post
    Find a prior service recruiter...
    Prior Service recruiters can't get you back on Active Duty through a PSEP. A regular recruiter can. A PSR can get you in the Reserves or on Active Reserves/IMA.

prior service

I am active duty navy right now trying to cancel my one year extension to get out at EAOS of jun12 instead of jun13..Im currently in Kandahar for 13months if my extension gets canceled I will return JAN12 and than seperate from Navy Jun12.I will be only 23 and if I have to wait till Jun13 than ill be 24 I know I will have a re code 1 and I want to go 03xx its been my dream and I joined the navy to carry on family tradition now its my time to finish my dream. If there is any advice on my situation like will it be ok to get out and enlist in the Marines I do not care about losing rank and going back to boot camp I just want to become a Great MARINE.. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by iamcloudlander View Post
    If I am reading you correctly the max for non prior service to join the Marines is 28? I have seen on the poolee site some are up to 32 and still joining with no prior service how are they enlisting?????
    This is confusing because I've looked it up and seen the max age is 35. Doesnt effect me tho I'm still in my teens..

Crossfit, you'll basically need to see an active duty recruiter when you come home. If you haven't done so already.

Paul, the max 35 age doesn't apply to Marines. Not sure where you saw that at, could you provide a link?

I did 4 years from 95-99 as an 1833. Then did Army Guard from 99-04. 04 was activated for OIFIII and was on active duty from Aug 04-April 06.
    Im currently 35. I left USMC as a SGT.
    Can I go back in to same MOS and rank?

Thread Information