Prior Active Duty Marine, age limit on re-entry - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Contact your local active duty recruiter, as the Cpl stated above. They will get you started in the right direction if you want to go back active. One thing I've found is BE PERSISTANT if this is really what you want to do. Also, though, be ready to leave as soon as you are re-enlisted if you go back on active duty...because the minute you put your hand in the air, you are officially ON active duty. If you aren't prepped for that, you'll have to burn leave, which will put you in the hole right away.

Best of luck, and Semper Fi!

In Process to get back in the Corp

Does any one of you devil dogs now SSgt Green prior service recruiter in Richmond VA? I talked to him last week, to start my process...he told me to sent him Pg 3, 11 and 12 from my SRB, that I have a copy...i called him an he received them...however need to know where we at...is kind of hard to get him on the phone...got out in 1999, my mos is 0121 and my rank was Sgt...I'll be 35 in December
    I know is a long and slow process.....

Quote Originally Posted by cplbrooks View Post
    There are a lot of guys like us that have come back in or are currently in the process. Our reasons seem to be a bit different the second time around. For me there was just an empty space or something that was missing. It felt very satisfying going back into the corps. It instantly satisfied that part of me that was looking for something more.

It is easy to get caught up in life and in chasing that dollar. The next thing we know, our lives are pretty empty. For me it was about being a part of something special. Doing something that counted for more than just a paycheck. My family doesnt quite understand but my wife has seen a huge difference in my motivation and spirit after going back in.

As an older NCO it is much easier to understand and deal with things that would drive me up the wall back in the day. It is easy to understand why we are doing things that the younger guys dont seem to understand.

The second time around is much better for me. I am interested in hearing why the rest of you feel the calling to come back into the Corps?
    I am in the same boat. I just feel a void. I have a house and a good paying job/college degree a great fiancee and getting married soon. I was active from 97-02. I was NJP'd right before I got out because I was ignorant and immature to be honest. I went from 12 days from Sgt to Lcpl real fast. Anyways, i was honorable discharged as a Lcpl. I am 29 and will be 30 in Feb. What are my chances of getting into the reserves? Officer reserves? And, do you have to go back to the same MOS? I don't think i could go into any other service. Thanks...I love and miss the Corps.

what state are you in Dunn?
    your constructive age is 26, and IF after an NJP you have an RE of 1A you should be good to go.
    Keep in mind, that you must submit your srb documents to the unit you are trying to join for them to screen you before you are allowed to join. If i were you, i would get started on a personal letter to the reserve unit commander stating the circumstances of your NJP and how you have since "matured and willing and able to assume the duties of a Marine again"

Do you....
    have your dd214
    have copies of your srb pages 3,11,12, and 13?

If so, you need to fill out a reserve qualification summary.BE SURE THERE ARE NO GAPS in fitmess reports! its really hard to work arounf that for sgts and above.

if you have a bad RE code, you will need a dd form 149.

i hope this heled, and if you have any more questions, hit mo on Privat message

i kant type tonight

Ok, i have read through all the posts I can, and it sounds like I'm already on the right track.
    however, I will still throw out the question:
    I'm 34, married, and 4 wonderful boys. but...I want back in, and not just reserves but active duty. I have 4 yrs active and 7 yrs reserve time in already, so I guess 11 yrs total??
    what are my chances of getting back in, and if I do get in, do I have to go back into the reserves first then put in for active duty? or can you go right back into active duty?
    I have talked very briefly with prior service rec here in SA, TX, but all I'm doing right now is sending off for my OMPF which I have done today.

ok, quick update if anybody is still reading this:
    I can get back into active duty, and even with 5 dependents becuse i'm Sgt (if i was Cpl, I would be above the max number of dependents allowed)
    got all paperwork done, just need to get promotion style pic taken and submit to HQMC for approval. wish me luck.

pic done, MEPS done, package submitted...time for the hurry up and wait game!

Prior Enlisted looking to join the Reserves

They won't let me start a new thread, so I apologize for injecting my question here.

Okay, here is my situation:
    I got out of the Corps in 2005, since then I have gone back to school, received my Bachelor's and am currently attending graduate school to get my Doctorate of Psychology. I have been contemplating joining the Army (now) or Navy (once I graduate in 2012), do the required three years active while performing my duties as psychologist, then eventually work for the VA. My main directive is to work with veterans since I know there are so many who could use some help battling a tougher war than that overseas...their own memories and life after war. So that is my current situation...here is what I am wondering...

If I were to join the Marine Corps Reserves under the 6X2...can I break contract to go active Navy once I graduate? Reason for wanting to go Navy? They can help repay my loans, considerably, plus potential sign on bonus for being certified Psychologist, and I am commissioned and given officer pay during the three years I will be active with them and of course, this allows me to work with Marines directly. What I was hoping for was get back in the swing of things now, plus some financial assistance with school and what not while I am finishing up school. If this is not an option, then I just have to consider Army HPSP now, or Navy later. Please advise if anyone can. Thank you, semper fi.

Please fill out your profile or you're not going to get much help on here.

Not being a d!ck about it...it's just the rules of the site.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Its what we ask of everyone, angrydragon.

My Apologies

Sorry for taking so long to update my info, been a hectic month. Would appreciate any advisement on my previous post, thank you.

another prior leatherneck wanting to join the reserves

First of all thank all of you for your service to this great nation and our beloved Corps!! Semper Fi ...

Here's my situation. I was medically discharged from the Corps in March of 1994. I received Medical Severance pay. My disabilities aren't such that I can't do the job. I am currently 41 years old and my time in service was 2 years and 9 months. I served in the Air Force prior to that for 4 years. Do I have a snowball's chance in hell at getting back in at least the Marine Corps Reserves?

With much love and respect,
    Camp Del Mar

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Listen to Cpl B, and the others...one other thing no one has mentioned, but you need to be aware of, it's not the same Corps that you remember, believe me. There will be some 'culture shock' when you go back in. Minor changes that the younger Marines see as the 'norm' will seem to you like major malfunctions..resist the temptation to do the old "It wasn't like this in Rangoon" (LOL..or whereever/whenever). I had a blast going back in as a retread in 97, and I'd been out since 89, and done a stint in the Army reserves as an 11boo (Infantry), so it was a major culture shock for me..but I loved every minute of it. Good luck!
    Changes happen with each cycle.

I went back to visit my old unit after a couple of months out and in the reserves. By then they had a whole new cycle and one of my boots was now a squad leader and he had a boot in his room.

In conversation I mentioned the word "boot" and the PFC turns around and corrects me, "It's junior Marine Corporal."

Quote Originally Posted by angrydragon View Post
    They won't let me start a new thread, so I apologize for injecting my question here.

Okay, here is my situation:
    I got out of the Corps in 2005, since then I have gone back to school, received my Bachelor's and am currently attending graduate school to get my Doctorate of Psychology. I have been contemplating joining the Army (now) or Navy (once I graduate in 2012), do the required three years active while performing my duties as psychologist, then eventually work for the VA. My main directive is to work with veterans since I know there are so many who could use some help battling a tougher war than that overseas...their own memories and life after war. So that is my current situation...here is what I am wondering...

If I were to join the Marine Corps Reserves under the 6X2...can I break contract to go active Navy once I graduate? Reason for wanting to go Navy? They can help repay my loans, considerably, plus potential sign on bonus for being certified Psychologist, and I am commissioned and given officer pay during the three years I will be active with them and of course, this allows me to work with Marines directly. What I was hoping for was get back in the swing of things now, plus some financial assistance with school and what not while I am finishing up school. If this is not an option, then I just have to consider Army HPSP now, or Navy later. Please advise if anyone can. Thank you, semper fi.
    You don't have to sign a contract with the Reserves. You are what is called a non-ob. Not obligated to serve anymore time. Infact, you can check in, decide you don't like it after 3 drills and check back out. No questions asked. But, you do have to check out and return all your stuff otherwise you will be UA.

Thread Information