Prior Active Duty Marine, age limit on re-entry - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    its still the same as far as i know

Age Limitations!!!

I am 43, and am still trying to get back in the Marine reserves, The age Limit I feel is descrimitve. I understand that you need to be in good shape, in the corps, but I a man wants to serve his country, wont he do a better job at than someone who is forced.

Is there any chance of "reversing" ones age? I'm 71, and would go back in, in a heart beat.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by josephplt2008
    I am 43, and am still trying to get back in the Marine reserves, The age Limit I feel is descrimitve. I understand that you need to be in good shape, in the corps, but I a man wants to serve his country, wont he do a better job at than someone who is forced.

They have what is called a constructive age, which is number of years of service minus your actual age. This would put you at 40 in terms of joining. The limit is 29. They will give waivers within a few years but 11 may be too much. You also would need a waiver for the number of years that you have been off contract which is at least 20. This also may be too much. If you got through all of that you would still need to pass a PFT to get in. What are your current PFT numbers? After that you will need to find a CO who is willing to put you in his unit. You will probably have a hard time finding a prior service recruiter who will spend any time on this. The national guard, however, would be willing to put you in under these circumstances.

Rentry!!

Hey Cpl Brooks, Thanks alot, I am presently working on getting it the Michigan National Gaurd,,, But you know,,, I'ts not the same,, I'ts not the Corps..At our recruiting station here I have a freind that I went to school with who is in charge, He is Mssgt Kelly Gleason, He explained things to me pretty well, in regards to all of the questions I had. But thanks for the info,, and remeber.. SEMPER FI!

Joe Hurlburt CPL USMC

Who is a marine recruiter here?

Well I like to enter the Marine Reserves after I complete my active army duty tour. I was active marine. but when I get out I will be 43 with 10 years active service. I am a staff-sergeant now but got out of the marines as a lance corporal. why would be my chances of getting into the marines reserves? and at what grade?

My editing time expired but wanted to add that my EAS date is in 2010. After serving in Iraq and seeing how the Army does its business, would like to finish my 20 in the marine reserves.

SSG Louis Quinones
    101st Airborne Division, 1st Brigade Combat Team
    Military Policeman

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Why dont you see if you can switch to the Marine Corps Now. Maybe they will let you out of your contract to do it. I dont have any experience with prior service recruiting other than my own experience getting back in. I am making a phone call to the prior service recruiter to see if you will keep any of your rank beyon Lcpl. I dont think you will but let me check.

Cpl Brooks you should write about your experience going back in for the EZine...It would prove an inspiration for guys like me that have been out a while and are thinking about reenlisting. Reading these last post have dispelled many misconceptions I had about being a retread.
    Semper Fidelis

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There are a lot of guys like us that have come back in or are currently in the process. Our reasons seem to be a bit different the second time around. For me there was just an empty space or something that was missing. It felt very satisfying going back into the corps. It instantly satisfied that part of me that was looking for something more.

It is easy to get caught up in life and in chasing that dollar. The next thing we know, our lives are pretty empty. For me it was about being a part of something special. Doing something that counted for more than just a paycheck. My family doesnt quite understand but my wife has seen a huge difference in my motivation and spirit after going back in.

As an older NCO it is much easier to understand and deal with things that would drive me up the wall back in the day. It is easy to understand why we are doing things that the younger guys dont seem to understand.

The second time around is much better for me. I am interested in hearing why the rest of you feel the calling to come back into the Corps?

thanks CPL

so do you think its futile to return to the marine reserves? I mean I make about 51,000 a year as an active duty e-6 and heading to germany. I am trying to become a warrant so I can have more retirement. I know I can retire at the highest rank held and I dont want to return to the marines as a lance cooley or corporal with all the experience that I have. regardless of what the corps thinks of the army, the 101st airborne is high speed and disciplined and the NCO schools I been to are of the same caliber as the corps. the guys that I went to combat with down range were very good at their jobs. I just dont want to lose so much I worked hard for.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I would keep doing what you are doing just for the retirement. Why give that up to go into the reserves?

I hear you brother. Just miss the corps. Let's see how things play out. Did you find out about the question I asked?

Talking to cpl

anyway, thanks for your help. how can I delete pics that I post but want to change?

Attached Images Attached Images

I will give you all a bit of a story. Right now, my PSR has basically not done a DAMN thing since I submitted my packet...back in November (or, it might have been early late October, truth be told, it's been that long I've forgotten).

Within the last week, I finally hear something; they now need a personal history statement about why I want to come back in.

Well, truth be told, I really do/did want to come back in, but I'm less than impressed with this, at this point. I realize it was/is the reserves, and I'm 42, with enough time to still make the constructive age, but it sure seems like nobody gives a rip, or it's the old 'numbers' game.

So, be forewarned. The PSR you draw may not be as motivated as you are to get you enlisted. Far as I know, my packet hasn't even left his freakin office yet. I've been told to call his SNCOIC, etc etc, but, ya know, you would think that I shouldn't have to do all that.

Just words of warning, folks. Be prepared to wait. And wait. And wait some more. Your ardor may cool when you realize that it will not be a simple process, nor an expedited one.

Thread Information