Prior Active Duty Marine, age limit on re-entry - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Just A Few Questions

I am 39 years old and will be 40 in July. I have my first class PFT completed along with just about all of the paperwork. I have 8 years of prior active duty as a Marine and got out as a Sergeant.

My constructive age is less than 32 for only a few more months. How hard will it be to get an age waiver? Does the waiver negatively impact the approval process?

Do I follow the Boat Space Report to see what MOS's are in critical need? (trying to better my chances of a yes) If the Boat Space Report is not used with prior service then what is? Will I be restricted to returning to my PMOS?

My reason for wanting to wait (assuming a change in the PMOS is allowed) is that the 2010 Boat Space Report will be out after I'm 40. Depending on the approval process I will fall into the 2009 or 2010 Boat Space Report. Will I have the option of waiting until the 2010 report? When I'm approved, should I jump on whatever MOS's are left for 2009 or wait?

I believe the Corps started QRP at the end of 2008 due the large number of reenlistments and this has left very few career choices at the moment. That together with the large number of job losses in the civilian sector makes me feel as if I might get lost in the pile with those that want to go in just to get a job (we all know it’s so much more than that).

Thanks for listening,
    Semper Fi

There are NO waivers granted for age as far as I'm aware.

Decisions to be made

Man oh Man, where do I start. I have 4years active duty. I'm 32 years old. My decision is not to come back in the corps; but to enlist in another branch. Because i've gotten older, the strict physical requirements are not there for any other branch of service. I'm a police officer / S.W.A.T. so i'm in pretty decent shape. My concern is promotions and how fast are older guys promoted versus the young rabbits.

I was in your situation myself, almost indentically. Mine was back in '97 and I was 33 years old. I had to almost start over (from SSgt select when I got out, to LCpl...) and a new MOS. Times have changed since then, but from my experience, I can tell you that it was a struggle at first, esp. physically.

My promotions were pretty much on time, until I went for SSgt again, and didn't get it. Now, that *could* have been because I was older, or it could have been for other reasons. At that time, though, I was told it was my second "P", meaning my chances for the next time were slim and or/none. I don't regret it for a minute, but there is no way today I could do the physical requirements, or keep up with the young bucks out there.

BTW, when I reenlisted for the last time, in 2007, I chose the Air Guard. Not because I was enamored of the Air Force, but because I knew my own limitations.

Thanks for responding Sgt. What should I look for this time around in reference to benefits, duty stations, bonuses, schools and etc. Would I be too old to join the Airforce? Is there a way to go Airforce Reserves then Active. I'm almost psyched all the way out to return. I've been trying to weigh all the pros and cons and right now, the only thing I see are the pros. I'm not married, but do have 2 sons. The new GI Bill will take a worry away because my kids will be able to use it. I have 2 years left to finish my degree and I could do that while i'm in. Thats something I should have did the 1st time around. I only got out because I didn't like my supervisor. Had I known what I know now, I would have stayed in. I'm actually looking at possibly doing the OCS thing if I can get in and get this school knocked out. That would put my promotions & finances where they need to be when its time for retirement. Please give me some feed back and let me know if i'm going too far out on a limb or not?

Quote Originally Posted by OnceADevilDawg View Post
    Thanks for responding Sgt. What should I look for this time around in reference to benefits, duty stations, bonuses, schools and etc. Would I be too old to join the Airforce? Is there a way to go Airforce Reserves then Active. I'm almost psyched all the way out to return. I've been trying to weigh all the pros and cons and right now, the only thing I see are the pros. I'm not married, but do have 2 sons. The new GI Bill will take a worry away because my kids will be able to use it. I have 2 years left to finish my degree and I could do that while i'm in. Thats something I should have did the 1st time around. I only got out because I didn't like my supervisor. Had I known what I know now, I would have stayed in. I'm actually looking at possibly doing the OCS thing if I can get in and get this school knocked out. That would put my promotions & finances where they need to be when its time for retirement. Please give me some feed back and let me know if i'm going too far out on a limb or not?
    Last time I checked the AF isn't taking any Prior Marines at all. The best way to answer your question about the AF is to talk to one of there recruiters.

PS your not too old to join the Marine Reserves. take your age 32 subtract your 4 years AD and thats your constructive age of 28. 29 is the cutoff however when I signed a form at the unit one of the questions was if my contructive age was under 34 which I thought was interesting. In any case if you are older than the contructive age than its just an age waiver, no big deal from what the PSR told me since you are prior. If however your wanting AD that might be a different story as they are plum full right now.

Yea I heard they were full at the moment. What does the Marine Corps Reserve consist of? There is a Marine Base where I live and is that where I would report for duty?

If I ever go back in after College its going to be OCS, there is no way I would ever go back enlisted. I would probably have to start over as a PFC on that route. Plus I would go Army National Guard, to be an officer, as Sgt Lep said know your limits. Semper Fi!!

The Air Force has always been reluctant to take prior service, (Even their OWN people) back to active duty, and now is no exception. There are currently ZERO chances to reenlist into the active Air Force for anyone, even former Air Force. Personally, the Air Guard has worked very well for me (I hit my '20' in Jan!). With the Guard, you can get a good foot in the door for an AGR tour. Well worth trying.

My decision is not to come back in the corps; but to enlist in another branch.

It's to bad your not close to a Coast Guard base. They have allot of pretty cool jobs to suit basically all types of people. They were my second choice if I didn't get the Marines the first time around. I'm kind of in the same situation as you are, but I'm trying to shoot for the Marine Reserves. I would like to go active again, but I don't want to burn all of my federal time. I have been a Wildland Firefighter for 5 years, and I can still beat most of the 18-19 year old's up the steep a** jeep trails with my pack and a saw, and still bust my but all day. So I think I still have it enough to get back into it. However.... It is getting ALLOT harder every year to bounce back.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchell View Post
    My decision is not to come back in the corps; but to enlist in another branch.

It's to bad your not close to a Coast Guard base. They have allot of pretty cool jobs to suit basically all types of people. They were my second choice if I didn't get the Marines the first time around. I'm kind of in the same situation as you are, but I'm trying to shoot for the Marine Reserves. I would like to go active again, but I don't want to burn all of my federal time. I have been a Wildland Firefighter for 5 years, and I can still beat most of the 18-19 year old's up the steep a** jeep trails with my pack and a saw, and still bust my but all day. So I think I still have it enough to get back into it. However.... It is getting ALLOT harder every year to bounce back.
    Keep us posted on your results so we can learn too.

Copy that..... will do!

Can anyone tell me the document numbers one should have prior to speaking with the PS Recruiter.

Dd-214?

Thread Information