Prior Active Duty Marine, age limit on re-entry
Create Post
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Prior Active Duty Marine, age limit on re-entry

I know this has probably been asked before, I heard the maximum age is 32?? But can it be higher depending on how many years you were in before? I am currently 33, and I have 8 years of active service, I got out as an E-5. Just looking into the possiblity of coming back in but I need to know if I even can.

Thanks,

Patrick

By federal law (10 U.S.C., 510), the minimum age for enlistment in the United States Military is 17 (with parental consent) and the maximum age is 35. This is to ensure than anyone who enlists on active duty can be eligible for retirement (20 years of service) at the mandatory age of 55 (60 in some cases). However, DOD policy allows the individual services to specify the maximum age of enlistment based upon their own unique requirements. The individual services have set the following maximum ages for non-prior service enlistment:

Active Army - 42
    Army Reserves - 42
    Active Air Force - 27
    Air Force Reserve - 34
    Active Navy - 34
    Naval Reserves - 39
    Active Marines - 28
    Marine Corps Reserve - 29
    Active and Reserve Coast Guard - 27

However, prior service enlistees can receive an "age waiver." In most cases, the amount of age that can be waived depends upon the amount of time the individual previously spent in the military. For example, let's say that an individual has four years of credible military service in the Marine Corps and wants to join the Air Force. The Air Force could waive the individual's maximum enlistment age to age 31 (Maximum age of 27 for the Air Force, plus four years credible service in the Marines). For the Marine Corps, the maximum age of enlistment for prior service is 32, after computing the prior-service age adjustment.

For the Army National Guard, the maximum age for non-prior service enlistment is age 39. For the Air National Guard, it's 34. For prior service, the maximum age is 59, as long as the member is able to complete 20 years of creditable service for retirement by age 60.

Thanks, so if i am reading this right, with my 8 years of active duty, I have until I am 36 right?(28+8). Thank you, that helps.

Patrick

You are correct.

If I am reading you correctly the max for non prior service to join the Marines is 28? I have seen on the poolee site some are up to 32 and still joining with no prior service how are they enlisting?????

waivers are given more than the above information would lead one to believe.

I don't know. Theres a waiver for everything. I knew a gunny in Okinawa that came back after like a 20 year break.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Harley,

I was 32 when i went back into the corps with four years prior service marine corps. They have what is called your constructed age which is your real age - years of prior service which for you = 25 so you are good to go. How long have you been off contract? Getting my off contract waiver is what took the longest. It took several months to get the waiver for it but it came through. The prior service recruiters didnt seem to move as quickly as a regular recruiter.

It will be 7 years November 9th. I didn't know you had to get a waiver for being off contract. I did't have to do any inactive reserve time since I did 8 years active duty(actually 7 Years 11 months 20 days). I know you don't have to go to boot camp again, but do you have to go through and transition phase or something like that? Not that I am worried about it but just want to know.

Thanks,

Patrick

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    no transition time. I was off contract for 8 years. They just stuck me right back into a unit. I kept my rank and everything. The only bad thing is that my time in grade went back to 0. I too could have used a refresher course but it all comes back right away. The PFT is a bit harder. Run times for me are slower then they used to be but other than that no problems. It is actually easier as an NCO at 33 than it was for me at 22 because of the increased maturity level. Some of the guys naturally look up to you just because of the age difference. If you have any questions about the process of going back in just tell me what you want to know since i just went through it.

Thanks for the info. I can image the PFT is a little harder. That is why I was asking what the age limit was, if I decide to go back in, I'll need sometime to get into shape before I go. I didn't get fat or anything, I just know if I tried to run 3 miles right now I'd be hurting. I figure it will take me probably about 6 months of training to get back to a first class PFT. This is my only real concern, everything else is cheese. Did you go back into the same MOS as you left? I know my old MOS is now gone, do you or anyone else know if that is problem, coming back into a different MOS? I was hoping I guess you could say if I decide to come back in to be either aircraft mechanic or something similiar. Thanks again for the info.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    my primary MOS is 0352. I spent two years in Security Forces 8152 and one almost a year as an intel analyst 0231 with HQ co 8th Marines due to my clearance. When i rejoined it was in my primary MOS 0352 with an LAR unit. What was your primary MOS? You will have plenty of time to get into shape while your prior service recruiter is getting you package together.

Listen to Cpl B, and the others...one other thing no one has mentioned, but you need to be aware of, it's not the same Corps that you remember, believe me. There will be some 'culture shock' when you go back in. Minor changes that the younger Marines see as the 'norm' will seem to you like major malfunctions..resist the temptation to do the old "It wasn't like this in Rangoon" (LOL..or whereever/whenever). I had a blast going back in as a retread in 97, and I'd been out since 89, and done a stint in the Army reserves as an 11boo (Infantry), so it was a major culture shock for me..but I loved every minute of it. Good luck!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    Listen to Cpl B, and the others...one other thing no one has mentioned, but you need to be aware of, it's not the same Corps that you remember, believe me. There will be some 'culture shock' when you go back in. Minor changes that the younger Marines see as the 'norm' will seem to you like major malfunctions..resist the temptation to do the old "It wasn't like this in Rangoon" (LOL..or whereever/whenever). I had a blast going back in as a retread in 97, and I'd been out since 89, and done a stint in the Army reserves as an 11boo (Infantry), so it was a major culture shock for me..but I loved every minute of it. Good luck!
    You are correct. It has been a bit of a culture shock and i have had to resist the "It wasnt like this in Rangoon" urge. I just keep telling myself. "When in Rome do as the Romans do."

That's what got me through. Now, my experience was a tad different; I came back in under the old system, which was the Corps sent you to where they needed you most (your old MOS didn't matter), so I went from being a Sgt/0231 to being a LCpl 2531 (Field Radio Operator)..yeah..I got to be a LCpl, and was shipped to FROC in 29 Palms for retraining. So, while being in the school enviorment helped some, it also was a royal, major, PIA...but after I got over the culture shock of the whole thing, I was ok...(Oh, I had 'guarunteed' Cpl after six months..and made the Sgt back within a year...)

Thread Information