Funeral Detail question
Create Post

Funeral Detail question

During a funeral detail,when using the M-16A2. I noticed Marines who fire off the salutes, pull the charging handle to the rear after each shot, as if the weapon was not realesing the expended round. (Like a bolt action rifle) Do they just pull the charging handle back, and release a round, and pick them up after the ceremony? If you know the answer I would appreciate a reply. Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    l/cpl: i am on our v.f.w. post 2621 hornor guard in liberty texas we use the m-i,s with a blank adepter on then at a milarty funeral on acive service they dont use a blank adp. you have to pull the bolt back to chamber another round, and we pick the brass up for the reason of when they cut the grass a spent rd. will not mess up a lawn mower blade ,simple

On a few of the details some of the rounds were presented to the family. Either given to them or tucked in the flag.

Normally with a M-16A2 when firing blanks in training there is a blank firing attachment (bfa) attached to the flash suppressor of the rifle. Since there is no round being discharged there and no (bfa) there is no way for the expended primer gas to channel back into the gas tube which cycles it back to unlock the bolt and kick it back to discharge the spent brass. This is why they do it manually with the charging handle.

Hope this helps

THE EARL PATCH, WEST TEXAS, Home of the 1st LADY Larua BUSH, Midland, TEXAS
    Credits
    Savings

Talking

Outlaw, This very true on the rounds being placed in the the Flag of Honor!

Yeah Ive been a part of a few details where we either tucked them in or presented them directly to the family. It really meant alot to them.

Thanks Sergeants Jerry K and DevilDog 3. Semper Fi

Thread Information