Intelligence, potential, and the USMC
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Intelligence, potential, and the USMC

Hello, I've got a problem. I've wanted to join the Corps for a long time, but I want to reach my full potential as well, and I'm scared I may not if I go in. I could get a Ph. D and go far, but I want to spend some time in the Corps. I like law a lot. I just don't know what to do, and I don't know if I can bear waiting four years to become a Marine! I hope this makes sense, thank you.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    you're only 17 kid take a chill pill

Look at it this way....................if you get the PhD first - you take a chance on being too old to even go in the Corps much less acquire the Title AND, even if you're still within the age requirements, it's harder the older you are.

There is no age limit on getting the PhD - you could get it later after you've gotten that Title.

Red face

Chill pill?! Every other thought in my mind has the word Marine in it! I just don't wanna get wasted in the field if I could have done better. Does anyone have any idea what the PLC-Law program is or some details? Oo-rah.

What do you want to know about PLC-Law? I'm happy to answer any questions.

Well, I'm a senior in high-school, and would like to know how to get a law-degree with the Corps. Do I have to get a bachelor's on my own first?

Eligibility for PLC-Law requires acceptance to law school first. You need a bachelor's degree to be accepted to law school. How you get the bachelor's degree is up to you. Tuition assistance for enlisted Marines is a pretty good deal. Or, you could just go to college, get your degree, and apply to PLC-Law as soon as you get accepted to law school. Feel free to ask any questions about PLC-Law, law school, etc.

WOW, if you're wanting to get a Ph D you have more than four years to wait. If you want to be a lawyer you don't want a Ph D you want a JD, which would be an undergrad degree and then three years of law school.

Regardless, you have to make decisions in life, and this is one of those times. The best decision for you may to become a Reserve Marine while you go to college and the try to get the PLC-Law program or another commissioning program if you decide law isn't for you.

I will admit I am concerned that you don't think being a Marine is reaching your potential though. There is no higher calling, whether enlisted or as an officer. If you think money is the measure of what you've accomplished then you have much to learn.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Stay out of the Corps and get your PhD, kid - I wouldn't want you "getting wasted in the field if you can do better" either. THAT comment shows me you have NO IDEA what an HONOR it is to be a United States Marine!

For a lot of us, having the Title means more to us than any degree we've earned.

Doing College AFTER you've been enlisted and on Active Duty isn't a bad option to consider either.

a) There are college $$$ incentive with the military AND from many home states (my homestate of Illinois offers a Veterans grant that gives you free tuition for 4 years, add the $$$ the GI bill gives you and that just becomes spending money for rent/books etc!)

b) You will be far more disciplined and better prepared than most 18-21 year old students and this will help you excel above and beyond them (good thing if you will be applying to grad school/law school etc.)

c) Depending on your MOS/experience, you may have all kinds of credits just from your Marine Corps career. (It knocked an entire year off my BA and since I had language training at DLI, it gave me a waiver from the Foreign language requirements of BA & MA!)

I have my MA and am content doing what I'm doing now, but nothing preventing me from obtaining a Ph'D if I so desired. A friend of mine got his Ph'D and a few others I know have Master's degrees, a few are Chemical engineers, some are Computer techno wizards, some are teachers, etc. Bottom line is most of the guys I was on active duty with did college (and excelled at it) after they got out as did I.

Something to consider.

First, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I don't pretend to know everything, if there is no higher calling, I'd love to rise to it, just wasn't sure it, well, was that. If it is, as I said, I would love to rise to it. Of course I don't know what an honor it'd be, I'm not one, and don't know any Marines personally. That was an ignorant comment. And money isn't important to me.
    The Reserves do sound good, and if I can get the same GI Bill benefits then that may be the way to go, but which would you guys suggest? I could do more schooling in the Reserves, but if Active gives more money or benefits... I don't know, what do you guys think? Then as you said after completing pre-law I could apply for PLC-Law. Is it a hard program to get into?

Also I have a chance at an NROTC scholarship, so how would that fit into a law degree?

Go far the NROTC. You have the chance to better yourself then do it.

This is in response to your question regarding how difficult PLC-Law is to get into. PLC-Law is a competitive program, but there are lots of factors that go into the analysis. Often, Officer Selection Officers have very few PLC-Law slots to offer candidates. Also, your chances of selection vary with the timeframe of your application and the region that you are competing within. Think of the PLC-Law process like rolling admissions. The Marine Corps has to forecast how many lawyers we will need several years in advance. I am in the law school class of 2007. I applied as a 1L in the fall of 2004. If you wait until your 3rd year of law school you risk all of the slots being taken.

I think you need at least a 150 on the LSAT. Trust me, a 150 is not unreasonably difficult to obtain. If you apply as a 1L, then your first-year grades are not going to be that important - because you don't have any yet. But, your PFT score is very important. For a law applicant, you want at least a 270 + PFT score to be competitive. Obviously, if you got into law school then you have a pretty good undergraduate academic record. The selection board will look at your undergraduate transcripts.

Frankly, I don't think a pre-law orienteed program will help you that much in law school. I would recommend taking a course of study that you are interested in and using your electives to get a broad education. If you are a poli-sci major, take some accounting classes, psych, science courses, business courses, editing, etc. You are better off having a broad education in law school than taking a bunch of undergrad conlaw and criminal justice courses.

Also, apply to the program as soon as you are accepted into law school - that means your senior year of college probably. Bottom line, if you have a good undergrad record, a decent LSAT score, a good PFT, and you apply early enough, then you should have a good shot at selection. LT C.

You would have to talk to an OSO about the NROTC scholarship. I don't what kind of obligation you would incur by accepting the scholarship. You would have to ensure that you can continue onto law school or grad school if you take the NROTC scholarship. It may force you to go the FLEP route for a law degree. Ask an OSO or whoever is offering the scholarship. Read the small print.

dscusmc has answered the questions very well about PLC-Law. I would just add that you are misguided about the Reserve GI Bill. You get a version of the GI Bill, but it isn't the same as the one that active duty Marines get.

Thread Information