Helicopter Crew Chief
Create Post

Helicopter Crew Chief

Are you allowed to be a helicopter crew chief if you wear glasses?

I don't think pilots can...so thats why I'm asking, THANK YOU in advance

I also have some ?'s about helicopter crew chiefs. If anyone is one or knows a good amount of info on them I would like to know so I can PM them my questions thanks

Either one of you ca PM me and I will answer what I can...used to be in the WIng and worked with Crew Chiefs alot...

my grandfather was Crew Chief on UH-53's (Heavy Haulers) in 66 through 78. If needed I can ask him.

I dont see why you wouldnt be able to be a crew chief with glasses? Your not piloting so it shouldnt matter too much.

Yes you are but there are limitations.... Think about it... Your in the back of a huey on a GAU and your contacts fall off, or your glasses fall off if you vision is jacked up enough you can no longer see you enemy down on the ground...

I just had part 1 on my flight physical here in Aircrew school, My right eye is 20/35 and because of that I have to wear glasses to fly...

I believe that if your vision is worse then 20/200 you are limited to fixed wing... Which would mean you would either be a loadmaster or a flight mech on a C130

MOS 6172, Helicopter Crew Chief, CH-46

Summary. Helicopter crew chiefs, CH-46, are flight crew members who perform duties incident to the maintenance and operation of Marine CH-46 helicopters.
    Requirements/Prerequisites
    (1) Must possess an MM score of 105 or higher.
    (2) Must have normal color vision.
    (3) Volunteer for duties involving flight as an aircraft crew member.
    (4) Must be a 2d class swimmer or higher.
    (5) Eligible for a secret security clearance.
    (6) Meet the requirements of OPNAVINST 3710.7 and the USN Manual of the Medical Department with normal depth perception.
    (7) Complete the Naval Aviation Enlisted Aircrew Training School at NATTC, NAS Pensacola, FL.
    (8) Complete Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape (SERE) School.
    (9) Must complete the Plane Captain (PC) syllabus for type aircraft.
    (10) Complete the appropriate formal "A" and "C" school at HMT-204 FREST, MCAS Mew River, NC.
    (11) Complete the appropriate formal "C" school at HMM(T)-164 FRS (Flight Training) MCAS Camp Pendleton, CA.
    Duties. For a complete listing of duties and tasks, refer to MCO P3500.14 and MCO P3500.16, Aviation Training and Readiness (T&R) Manual, and MCO P4790.12B, Maintenance Training Management and Evaluation Program (MATMEP) for MOSs 6112/72.
    Related DOT Classification/DOT Code. Flight Engineer 621.261-018.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marineenjobs/bl6172.htm

Looks like you need normal color vision?

Yes... You can not be color blind

I know what that means

I have who was a crew chief on the for runner of the 34. He was to go to flight school but on his last tests they found he was color blind. So no pilit for him. 3 years later they found out that the type of color blindes he had was a plus for they could make out shapes in bushes and in the jungle better. Then they offered to let him go back to pilits school but he got out insteed. This also good for FAC too.

Kildars, when is your ship date?

Thread Information