First African American DI?
Create Post

First African American DI?

Does any one know who was the first Black Female DI And the First Black Female to retire with 20 years. she is the same person. Some one asked me and I was ashamed to not know. Who ever she was she made History.

Need to research for your answer, but wanted to Welcome You aboard!

Ellie

http://www.montfordpointmarines.com/mpm_legacy.html

Exceptional recruits were singled out to assist in the training of their own platoons. Mortimer A. Cox, Arnold R. Bostick, Edgar R. Davis, Jr., Gilbert H. "Hashmark" Johnson and Edgar R. Huff were selected for their leadership' and maturity and became the first black drill 'instructors. These first DI's would join the staff to reinforce the training mission at Montford Point which was to develop African American Marines for support roles in the Corps, following their graduation.

Not that it should matter. All Marines are red on the inside.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My thoughts exactly Joe.

After looking at this I realized the question was for the 1st african American female drill instructor. So I searched again. What I found is this. The first Marine Corps female drill instructors came about in around 1976-1978. There were 22 of them I think. Most likely there were minority females in this group and because it happened at such a late date in history nobody really seems to have noticed. I have tried to find info on this class of drill instructor graduates but the best I could do was leave a message at the history department for the Marine Corps. We shall see if they call me back.

Quote Originally Posted by thedrifter
    Need to research for your answer, but wanted to Welcome You aboard!

Ellie
    Thank you Ellie for the welcome.

One of my females DI's was African American and I served in 1970.

Sergeant Major Gilbert "Hashmark" Johnson (October 30, 1905 – August 5, 1972) was one of the first African Americans to enlist in the United States Marine Corps, and one of the first African American drill instructors in the U.S. Marine Corps. Johnson was known as “Hashmark” because he had more service stripes than rank stripes. He retired in 1959 after 32 years of service in the U.S. military, 17 years were as a Marine.

Yes, but who was the first African American female DI?

1992 - Gunnery Sergeant Melody Naatz became the first female to don the flat brimmed "Smokey Bear" as a Drill Instructor

oops, it did not say if she was African American or not.

Quote Originally Posted by rktect3j View Post
    http://www.montfordpointmarines.com/mpm_legacy.html

Exceptional recruits were singled out to assist in the training of their own platoons. Mortimer A. Cox, Arnold R. Bostick, Edgar R. Davis, Jr., Gilbert H. "Hashmark" Johnson and Edgar R. Huff were selected for their leadership' and maturity and became the first black drill 'instructors. These first DI's would join the staff to reinforce the training mission at Montford Point which was to develop African American Marines for support roles in the Corps, following their graduation.
    Such a very amazing link!

Quote Originally Posted by Vann1951 View Post
    Yes, but who was the first African American female DI?

Talked to the W.M.A. dot org. and they have not record of who the first Black female D.I. was but they said they are trying to find it out. they said they will have to call P.I. and dig to find it out..

Thread Information