Married couple leaving together in one month, need some tips
Create Post

Married couple leaving together in one month, need some tips

Morning all. The reason I am coming here and not the recruiter is that they are in some kind of conference until Monday and I am trying (really I am) to get my affairs in order. I'll start by saying myself and my wife are shipping to Parris Island on Oct16. I figured out places for pets and gave notice with my rental office. The only think I have left to plan out is Car payments. This is a sticky spot. Neither of us can use our money earned in training? (I read a previous thread on this subject but it was inconclusive) Also the car is only 1 month old so deferring the payments is not allowed. Does anyone know if under SCRA I qualify to break my lease? I leased the car prior to joining. Thank you much for reading and responding.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Get someone to make payments for you while you're gone - a relative, close friend. Give somebody temporary power of attorney to handle stuff like that. If there is nobody, you're probably pretty much $h!t out of luck. You'll get to use your money that you get in bootcamp but not for that (just yet) - sometimes showing a set of orders or your enlistment contract will help you out.

I also understand you set up a bank account while there, can I use my current bank account? And then setup autopayment for the car?

You setup a bank account that they deposit your pay in, you MUST keep that the entire 12 weeks. When you graduate (or maybe even on family day?) You can transfer the funds to your old (or a new) bank account that isn't military related.

The short answer to the SCRA question is probably yes. Take a look at the this link:
    http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/legal_ass...orms_links.htm

Relax a little and wait until Monday to talk to your recruiter. Or, give them a call down at the Parris Island Legal Assistance Office and see if they will answer any questions: (843) 228-2559/2925.

You may consider just calling the lessor and explaining the problem - most lenders like making money and can be reasonable. But, call the Legal Office first, I'm sure somebody will talk to you.

Or, just relax and talk to your recruiter on Monday. http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/legal_assistance.htm

Lt C

The Lt. is dead on. You will find that most creditors are willing to work with you more than you would think, especially when military orders are involved.

Thanks all, I guess I should just relax. Mondays rights around the corner

Thread Information