Poolees/Infantry MOS/.....Girlfriends?
Create Post
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Poolees/Infantry MOS/.....Girlfriends?

Alright, so pretty much here's my life.

Finish my senior year.

Go to Parris Island.

Go to School of Infantry

Go to Fleet (which most likely means Iraq, or by then somewhere even worse)

As you can see, I really have no time to settle down or have a serious relationship starting June 11, 2007.

But, I'm in one now.

I just had a serious talk with my girlfriend and she's really (insert everything you've ever heard a teenager say about his girlfriend and how she's the greatest thing in the world here), but I seriously *know* it wouldn't work out.

But, I don't want to just break up with her because I'm joining the Corps. I mean, how should I word it?

I definitely am going to break up with her, don't worry guys. The Corps is getting all its moneys worth on me, but I just don't know what would be the easiest way to do it. She's obviously going to ask why and since everything has been going really good between us I don't just wanna be like "Uhh, because the Corps needs me." You know?

Quote Originally Posted by Achped
    Alright, so pretty much here's my life.

Finish my senior year.

Go to Parris Island.

Go to School of Infantry

Go to Fleet (which most likely means Iraq, or by then somewhere even worse)

As you can see, I really have no time to settle down or have a serious relationship starting June 11, 2007.

But, I'm in one now.

I just had a serious talk with my girlfriend and she's really (insert everything you've ever heard a teenager say about his girlfriend and how she's the greatest thing in the world here), but I seriously *know* it wouldn't work out.

But, I don't want to just break up with her because I'm joining the Corps. I mean, how should I word it?

I definitely am going to break up with her, don't worry guys. The Corps is getting all its moneys worth on me, but I just don't know what would be the easiest way to do it. She's obviously going to ask why and since everything has been going really good between us I don't just wanna be like "Uhh, because the Corps needs me." You know?
    I'm just a Poolee too, and I dont know the rules here about Poolee's answering other Poolee's questions, so if I am in the wrong, please let me know and I'll delete this.

Based on the above post, you seem to really like this girl. My advice to you would be; don't break up with her. Sure, most relationships fail when one of the people go into the military, but give it a shot. Then, if it doesn't work out, atleast you tried man. I mean, ****, what do you have to lose? Good luck.

Just my two cents.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I'll second that. Let it be her decision. I don't know how serious you two are, but me and my GF are going on three years. We've talked about me joining the Corps and although she doesn't want me to do it, she knows it's something I want, and feel I should do, not only for myself, but for my country. You sound like you are very into this girl, and the feelings are probably mutual, so if it's meant to be, than stuff will work out. If she really likes you, she'll support you in your decision and be waiting for you when you get back. If not, then it wasn't meant to be.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I have to agree with the last two posters on this one. Me and my girlfriend have been together a year a half now, and she knows what can happen to me when i join, but she supports me 110%. Just because they say 90% of relationships fail in the military let alone highschool doesnt mean you cant be party of the 10% that makes it. Screw the stats on it, make your own, its up to the two of you if you make it or not, not the stats or the military. Go for it bro.

Travis

Yea it is a hard decision but you should just try to work it out. I've been with my girlfriend for almost 3 years and even though she is upset about it, she still supports me and wants to try to see if it will work out. It's going to be tougher on you because you're going infantry but if you like her enough, stay with it man, believe me you'll need some of that motivation through boot camp.

Well hey, if you are nice to her about it...you may at least have something for 96's LOL. I am kidding.
    There have been soooo many posts asking about Girlfriend BS lately. If the girl is good...she will stay by your side...mine did for all 8 years, and she is still there. We got together when I was on Leave (knew eachother in HS), then after an OKI deployment we got married...and she earned her right to wear whatever USMC shirt she wants by taking care of me and giving a damn about my guys in my platoons.
    But if you chance it and find out that she is getting hers on the side while you are gone, then dont be a mental freak case. Just say cool and go get yourself something new.
    It takes alot, and anyone that was married young like me can tell you, it is HARD, especially as a GRUNT. But it pays off in the end more than you can imagine.

Hey I just had the SAME talk with my girlfriend lol...We're really close etc. She wants to stay with me though and stay devoted to me...so we'll see. I say if she's worth it, stick with her and see where the relationship goes. Consider everything else that happens a test to check up on how strong that bond really is.

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeDevildog
    I'll second that. Let it be her decision. I don't know how serious you two are, but me and my GF are going on three years. We've talked about me joining the Corps and although she doesn't want me to do it, she knows it's something I want, and feel I should do, not only for myself, but for my country. You sound like you are very into this girl, and the feelings are probably mutual, so if it's meant to be, than stuff will work out. If she really likes you, she'll support you in your decision and be waiting for you when you get back. If not, then it wasn't meant to be.
    My girlfriend is the same way she understand that this is something ive been wanting for a long time and there is nothing she could do to stop me. Shes even thinking about joining.

Alright guys thanks for the replies, now I have one more question.

Can we get married while in DEP?

rofl, just kidding.

Hmm, I guess I didn't mention this.

She's not totally "supportive" of the fact that I'm joining the Marines.

She gets upset when I go to PT on Tues and Thurs nights with my RS, and just doesn't feel like I made a "good" decision.

She gets upset when I go to PT on Tues and Thurs nights with my RS, and just doesn't feel like I made a "good" decision.

That changes everything, Brother...!!!

If she gets upset with 1-2 weekly SESSIONS of mere PT, then how do you think she will cope with years at a time away!??!?

Common sense would tell me, her or the Corps. Can't have both.. atleast not in the long run.

Just my pretty pennies on the subject.. either way, don't say I didn't tell you so.

Who is she to be worried about the decisions your making in your life? Dont get me wrong or anything she is your girlfriend and everything but just like JWG said if shes getting mad because you taking 2 nights out of the week just to do PT with your RS then what about all those nights when your in Boot Camp? I think you should just leave her, there will be alot other women.

Just be honest with her. Obviously you don't have the same goals for the future. Really. If she's got hang ups about a few hours a week then she's really not going to understand your being away for training, schools, deployments or anything else. If you have feelings for her then just respect her and yourself enough to be honest with her. Lay it out for her. Who knows? Maybe she doesn't like the Marine Corps because she see's it as a threat taking away her boyfriend? Much like she might would view another female.

Seriously im with STA0311 . Be nice to her. If shes cool it will work out. If it doesnt you know youll have some guaranteed when you get home. Try not to make it to difficult. Your young, theres no reason to have a gf in the Marine Corps. There are way too many girls to be had during your time in.

There's always more fish in the sea IMO.

Do what YOU want first, then find a girl last.
    If she's not supportive or you think it will drag you down, end it. It's simple.

Thread Information