Questions about the Corps
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Questions about the Corps

Hello guys/gals

I'm going to be joining the Marines in february. I have a couple of questions.

First is: can you just quit in boot camp? This is the way it seems, reading some literature.
    Second is: Is the Corps having a hard time recruiting? Any enlistment bonus (like the Army)

Third is: How hard is it to become an MP?

Forth: How are the living quarters (after boot).

The reason I ask these questions is because I'm kind of in the dark about the Corps, but all I do know is I will do ANYTHING to get that Eagle, Globe, and Anchor and the title of U.S. Marine!!!!!!

Last edited by jinelson; 09-01-06 at 10:39 PM.

Credits
    Savings
    I'm sure you could quit boot camp if you wanted too, or if you got hurt or something of that nature...BUT, then again you would have to live with that decision for the rest of your Life (that's long time)

I remember when I stepped on those yellow footprints and had a bunch Bulldogs yelling at me and belittling me and telling me things that I wasn't particularly found of at the time (lol). I was thinking so many Men and Women have done this before myself (why wouldn't I be able too do this). Personally, I think that all your questions are relevent to your decision in joining the Corps, but your first question is probably the most important!

Get that crap out of your head NO... you cannot just quit it's not an option...

Geez...

There is no better friend...
    and No worse enemy than a United States Marine.

I think that if you have the idea that you may be interested in quitting in Boot Camp, then you might want to not waste yours or the Corps' time and go ahead and look into those Army bonuses.
    MP means that you have to be a certain age if I recall...and I think that it is 19 years old. And no as an MP you wont be driving a patrol car around kicking doors and making arrests...you will likely be a Field MP. And you can guess what your "living conditions" will be like in the field!

Credits
    Savings
    JNB,

You have asked some pretty important questions, some of which many people have wanted answers to before they committed to joining the Corps. My advice to you would be to talk to a Marine Corps Recruiter and pose your questions to him/her. They will have all of the current information available to them to try and answer them for you.

There is not a word such as QUIT in the Marine Corps vocabulary.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Welcome aboard Leatherneck Wannabe the answers to your questions may be found here.

JIm

Quit boot? The thought never occurred to me. I think there is something called "failure to adapt" that you can be discharged for. Though that would certainly follow you around the rest of your life. Make up your mind before you sign a contract, before you swear in and before you go to boot. If you have thoughts of "quitting" as your "safety net" then chances are you probably won't make it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Boot is indeed physical. A large part of whether or not one will make it is mentality though. Was my experience that those who "thought" they couldn't make it usually didn't. There are lots of ways to fail at boot. Just don't qualify at the rifle range. Just don't make swim quals. Just don't try whatever. But if you don't want to try then what's the point of going to begin with?

Living conditions? That will depend on several factors. What base you are sent to, MOS and rank. Some MOS have more field deployments than others. Higher ranks usually get a room to themselves or the better quarters. Some bases have newer facilities than other bases.

Reading the forums here I don't think there's a problem with recruiting. We have folks in DEP ready to ship out now. They can't because those slots are full. Thus many have to wait for months.

The Army may give giving bonuses. I remember a post here not long ago of an article about Army basic getting softer. If you're worried about too much running, drill instructors that might hurt your feelings, or not having contact with friends and family except through snail mail then maybe the Army is a better choice for you.

In order to earn the title of Marine you have to want it, you have to work for it, and you have to go into it with a certain mentality.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    AMEN SISTA!

If you ain't got the Honor and the Courage to make the Commitment ................

Quit boot camp????? you think this is the army?..No you cannot quit boot camp unless you get a less then honorable discharge. that WILL follow you for the rest of your life son.You apply for a job and they see you "quit" bootcamp and went home, you will not even be hired.The person you apply to might be a former Marine. You cant hack bootcamp then theres no room for you here.Think about what your going to do before signing that contract. As far as going into the Mps, you have to be 19 yrs old. Do NOT fall for that bs that they will put you in the grunts and transfer you when you turn 19 yrs old. It won't happen. Remember we are everywhere. When i went to the local dmv to get my class A license, I was told come back in 30 days for a picture license, because the cop didnt want to beleieve my dd214 ( disharge papers , for the wannabe) until his boss came out of his office and asked "what unit, where at"?..7th motors , camp pendleton sir..to which he looked at the jr cop and said "give him his license NOW", semper fi marine and walked back into his office. Think about wanting to quit bootcamp very seriously. because it may haunt you.

Credits
    Savings
    I would not think about quiting boot camp, like I said it seemed like you could because of phrases like these "those who remain" , "you won't make it off this island a marine". I think my questions where taken a little out of context.

Let me be more clear,

I asked about quitting because of the phrases I keep hearing, and to me quitting after you make a commitment is unheard of.

As far as living "quarters" I ask simply because I don't know. I meant do you live in dorms or more like a barracks setting, and will my wife be able to join me.

I asked about recruiting because of the bull**** I keep hearing from the news and other people who know nothing about it. So I figured I would ask MARINES!

and finally the MP question. I ask this question because I don't really know what I could do in the Corp, so Im trying to gain some insight.

Boy all you have to do in mention quit on leatherneck.com and you get yelled at . Hot damn I love those MARINES.

I hope I have made myself more clear and will try to be more clear in all of my future post!

Credits
    Savings
    Your right, it's a commitment.

and your doing what your supposed to be doing before you make that commitment, researching. I don't think your wife can join you in the barracks and she may not want too, but if your married just look into everything the recruiters tell you.

The MP question, I think you should be able to get that M.O.S. depending on your score in the ASVAB, definetly check that out I'm pretty sure you'll be able to designate your self as an MP.

Good luck buddy

their is No Better Friend...
    and No worse enemy than a United States Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You have learned your first lesson Grasshopper - be specific. A lot of us can't read between the lines (because of our vision) and we can't read minds anymore because it's too much work for what brains we do have left to do it. Be specific.

And lesson #2 - since we know very little about you just yet, you will be questioned................don't take anything personally and you better not bow up at anybody that doesn't tell you what you want to hear. I suggest you take a minute (if you haven't already) and read the first 2 or 3 threads in this forum - follow the rules, nobody gets their feelings hurt.

A few to start you off with.....................why the Corps for you? Why a wife? What is your vision of what an MP does in the Corps? What makes you think you can do it?

(Where did I set my beer?)

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    You have learned your first lesson Grasshopper - be specific. A lot of us can't read between the lines (because of our vision) and we can't read minds anymore because it's too much work for what brains we do have left to do it. Be specific.

And lesson #2 - since we know very little about you just yet, you will be questioned................don't take anything personally and you better not bow up at anybody that doesn't tell you what you want to hear. I suggest you take a minute (if you haven't already) and read the first 2 or 3 threads in this forum - follow the rules, nobody gets their feelings hurt.

A few to start you off with.....................why the Corps for you? Why a wife? What is your vision of what an MP does in the Corps? What makes you think you can do it?

(Where did I set my beer?)
    Well I like that you will question me.

So, to answer your questions.

Why the Corps for me. simply put, because I want to be on of the best. I want to be among kindred spirits. My grandfather was a Marine and he was GOD in my eyes because of that.

Why a Wife? Because I'm already married with a child. I'm 21 years old and I was lucky enough to find a wonderful woman, and a great mother.

My vision of MPs? This I'm not to sure about, but I'm pretty sure it isn't what recruiters make it sound like.

What makes me think I can do it? I don't THINK I can do it, I KNOW I can do it. I am a very dedicated, and motivated person. I will NOT give up no matter what the sacrifice.

Where is your beer? I think you sat it on the table!

I hope I have answered all your questions and you have a better idea of where I'm coming from, as I see where all of you are coming from.

OK, time to get down to business.

The reason many people show up at boot camp and don't become Marines isn't because they quit, it is because the Marine Corps decided they don't have what it takes or they got hurt. People can, and do, "quit" but it isn't like quitting a normal job. It involves MPs coming and taking you away in handcuffs and then you waiting around in a seperation platoon for a while before they decide to let you go home.

Living conditions on a typical base are two people to a room, sometimes you share the head (bath room) with those in the room next to you. The newer the barracks, the more like an apartment it will be. They are always making things better, but it takes a long time to replace a barracks that is already in place.

The MPs I knew usually didn't like their job too much. There was the patrol aspect that was much like a regular police officer. But, they also spent a great deal of time at the gate letting people on base... and they never seemed to like that too much. As for the qualifications, it is about the same as being a regular police officer, except you can be younger. You'll have to pass the background/credit check and then make it through the MOS school... assuming you get the MP MOS. You could be a correctional person just as easily, and that is something else totally.

As for the bonuses, I am sure you can get one... if you're willing to take a job where there is a need. My recruiter set me up on a bonus plan, even though it isn't what I wanted. (Hey, it all worked out in the end.) The jobs that people usually want (MP, infantry, etc) probably won't have an MOS because they don't have to do anything to attract people to those jobs. Regardless, the money will be long gone before your enlistment is over, so you need to pick what will make you happy, not what will get you a few more dollars.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Do you think your wife will be able to handle this life style? It takes A LOT to be able to do it without screwin' it up. You'll be gone a lot, you'll miss out on a lot of things that will happen in your child's life - can YOU handle that?, it will surely strain a marriage - some make it, some don't - either way, it takes a lot of attention away from what you need to concentrate on as a Marine especially these days, if you were to get sent to Iraq (or anywhere else) you would end up dead or being the cause of somebody's death if you couldn't keep your mind on what you were doing. Can the both of you handle it?

If so, great, by all means, go for it. If you hesitate in the least little bit, stay at home, be a husband and a father, join your local Police Department and call it a day. There's nothing wrong with that.

What does she think about your wanting to do this?

Thread Information